44 replies to this topic

#21 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Plex has been working flawlessly for me for over a year now. But suddenly, in the last few weeks, it doesn't recognize when new TV shows are added to my TV folder.

Here's my setup: I've got my TV files stored on an external hard drive (formatted as Mac OS Extended [Journaled]) which is connected to my Mac Mini via FW800. Both the Plex Media Server and Plex client sit on the Mac Mini. I've set the PMS to update the library when changes to my TV folder are detected, but suddenly it stopped recognizing new TV shows being added to my TV folder.

Here an example of what I've noticed: When a new episode of The Colbert Report is added to the Colbert Report folder (/Volumes/TVShows/Colbert Report), the "date modified" time stamp on the Colbert folder updates correctly. However, the "date modified" time stamp on the parent directory that Plex is watching for changes ("TVShows") doesn't change. I think this might be why PMS isn't updating my library. I think PMS is looking at the TVShows folder and sees that the time stamp hasn't changed, so it thinks that no new shows have been added.

Am I on the right track? If so, any ideas how I can correct this?

Hi,

Easiest way to tell if this is the cause, do a turbo scan, check if anything has been picked up. The, run a deep scan and see if anything has been picked up.

If the Deep Scan found new stuff, but the turbo scan didn't - then it is the dates not updating causing your issue.

http://wiki.plexapp....eshing_Sections
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#22 Tooth

Tooth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

Hi,

Easiest way to tell if this is the cause, do a turbo scan, check if anything has been picked up. The, run a deep scan and see if anything has been picked up.

If the Deep Scan found new stuff, but the turbo scan didn't - then it is the dates not updating causing your issue.

http://wiki.plexapp....eshing_Sections

I ran the turbo scan just now and it picked up the new episodes that were added to the TVShows folder last night. For some reason Plex isn't recognizing those recently added files as being "new" and therefore won't automatically adding them to the library unless I manually kick off the turbo scan process. Strangeness. Any other ideas?

#23 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

I ran the turbo scan just now and it picked up the new episodes that were added to the TVShows folder last night. For some reason Plex isn't recognizing those recently added files as being "new" and therefore won't automatically adding them to the library unless I manually kick off the turbo scan process. Strangeness. Any other ideas?

The turbo scan, and the automatic scan work the same way (they are exactly the same thing) so what could be happening is this;

the auto scanner waits for the HDD to become idle, then kicks off the scanner to detect the changes, if something is stopping the drive from becoming idle the scan will never actually run.

there are several reasons why this is the case;

- file are copied over in little chucks, you want to make sure the entire file is there before the scan is run so it won't think the the file is corrupted
- if you are copying over multiple files, you don't want to run multiple scans back to back

check what other apps you have which may also be writing to, or reading from, the same drive.
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2

#24 LeapingGnome

LeapingGnome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:42 AM

Is there a way to force Plex to do a deep scan instead of a turbo scan by default? For whatever reason as new media files are being added to my subfolders on an external hard drive the directory timestamps are not being updated, but the files themselves have current timestamps. So Plex is skipping the directory and not seeing the new files. If I do a deep scan they are picked up fine but I don't want to have to manually do this every day. It would be a lot easier if I could just tell Plex to do a deep scan instead of turbo scan when it is 'scheduled' for every 2 hours or whatever.

#25 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

Is there a way to force Plex to do a deep scan instead of a turbo scan by default?

Not currently.

#26 LeapingGnome

LeapingGnome

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

OK. Anyone have any ideas why the directory timestamps are not updating? These are brand new hard drives, 3TB WD MyBooks, running OSX ML. ExFAT file system.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it is a function of the ExFAT filesystem, which is what OSX has for drive formatting if you need to store large files (4GB+) I also found other posts on this forum complaining about this, like this one. I guess I will need to setup a cron job since I don't want to have to remember to deep scan.

Seems like a recurring issue for people, anyone know if there are plans for Plex to improve this, either look at the timestamps of the files themselves, or allow the user to set the scan method?

#27 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

OK. Anyone have any ideas why the directory timestamps are not updating? These are brand new hard drives, 3TB WD MyBooks, running OSX ML. ExFAT file system.

OSX doesn't seem to track ExFat last access times.

#28 jdfwarrior

jdfwarrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

I hate to butt in here but.. you said there currently isn't any way to make Plex default to performing a deep scan.. Do we know if that is something potentially in the cards? I have had this similar issue before and am currently still having it as well. I don't remember if my partitions are ExFAT or not but I have 3 drives in an external enclosure. SickBeard/SABNzbd auto grab content for me and they never show up in PMS automatically. I have to manually perform a deep scan or, I set up a launchd script that I put on an interval to perform a deep scan every X minutes. It works..

So, will setting deep scan as default ever be an option? Would changing the partition type back to a Mac native partition type resolve this issue potentially (setting it back to HFS+? Is that the same thing as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"?) It would be awesome if Plex would auto detect my media again <_<

#29 Jay Gannon

Jay Gannon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

the auto scanner waits for the HDD to become idle, then kicks off the scanner to detect the changes, if something is stopping the drive from becoming idle the scan will never actually run.

What about those of us with drives that dont go idle? How are we supposed to get auto-updates? Can we force scan to run with a script regardless of HDD access status?

#30 fletch0414

fletch0414

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

Hi Tooth,
I just created a post today with the same problem. Does a deep scan work for you?. Mine been working fine for years without a problem until recently. Have you tried what dreamwolf suggested?

#31 fletch0414

fletch0414

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

Hi Tooth,

First shut down Plex Client and the Plex Media Server.

In finder select 'Go to folder' and type ~/library, press return. This will take you to the Mac library folder where the Application Support Folder is located. In that folder you should see a 'Plex' folder and a Plex Media Server' folder, I first deleted the 'PLEX' folder entirely (delete to Apple bin just in case...) then inside the 'Plex Media Server' folder delete the 'Plug-ins' folder.
After this go 1 step back to the library folder and you will find the 'Preferences' folder, find and delete the 'com.plexapp.plexmediaserver.plist' file.

Restart the Plex Media Server and hopefully you will have a functioning system again! Mine has been working perfectly normal since without having to re-enter data manually.

Good luck!

#32 fletch0414

fletch0414

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

has the above worked for anybody??

#33 Dreamwolf

Dreamwolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

Hi rcroasdale,

It has for me....:-).
The problem has since not returned.

Ciao,

Dreamwolf

#34 Phaseshift

Phaseshift

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

anyone have a work around for this issue on windows?

#35 troymcd

troymcd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:13 AM

Things have been working with PMS for about six months and then Deep Scan stopped working.

I do have use a drive that shares files with with a PC (but I run PMS on my iMac) for my Roku Player, it's sets to exFAT. I have to refresh things by hand at least once a day.

----- 

I did what DreamWolf said worked, in that it sorta took me through setup again, but had most of the settings in memory...

It then did update my whole library (one time). But if I select Deep Scan from the Media Manager drop down menu... it doesn't deeps scan at all.

I'm stuck again.... ???

#36 madeirabhoy

madeirabhoy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Things have been working with PMS for about six months and then Deep Scan stopped working.

I do have use a drive that shares files with with a PC (but I run PMS on my iMac) for my Roku Player, it's sets to exFAT. I have to refresh things by hand at least once a day.

----- 

I did what DreamWolf said worked, in that it sorta took me through setup again, but had most of the settings in memory...

It then did update my whole library (one time). But if I select Deep Scan from the Media Manager drop down menu... it doesn't deeps scan at all.

I'm stuck again.... ???

me too. latest plex and plex media server.

my 2tb drive is exFAT. all worked before, except i had to manually deep scan when i added anything, and for some reason it only got the metadata if i did this on firefox but at least it all worked. 

prob less than a week ago it stopped deep scanning. the turbo scan works but this isnt any use. pressing deep scan does nothing, it doesnt even start.

did the tip above deleting things and it worked initially once. added more things and it doesnt work...

#37 madeirabhoy

madeirabhoy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

i was going to post my logs, but on looking at them, they confirm that nothing is happening. i deleted the logs. pressed deep scan. no log. pressed turbo scan, fills up with lots of info but obviously its all checking dates nothing changed, next folder.

so then i press the deep scan about 10 times. not a word is added to the log. 

#38 troymcd

troymcd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

my 2tb drive is exFAT. all worked before, except i had to manually deep scan when i added anything, and for some reason it only got the metadata if i did this on firefox but at least it all worked. 

prob less than a week ago it stopped deep scanning. the turbo scan works but this isnt any use. pressing deep scan does nothing, it doesnt even start.

did the tip above deleting things and it worked initially once. added more things and it doesnt work...

This describes my scenario exactly.

#39 madeirabhoy

madeirabhoy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

how weird. not changed anything since yesterday. pressed deep scan. worked fine. 

#40 troymcd

troymcd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:33 AM

how weird. not changed anything since yesterday. pressed deep scan. worked fine. 

I thought... well that's odd but I've tried so much, I'll try it again. :)

Yeah! The deep scan works, didn't touch a thing... Go figure! ??????????????????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users