3 replies to this topic

#1 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3333 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:57 PM

Some of you have stumbled upon Plex for your Roku and are having a hard time getting started. Should there be more and better documentation? Yes. Should certain things be easier? Yes. And we're working on both of those things. In the meantime, here are a few notes to help you get started.

Getting started with local Plex Media Server content

Using Plex Media Server, you can get access to media that's on your computer through your Roku. You simply tell PMS about your media (movies, TV shows, music, pictures), and then link it up to the Plex channel on your Roku, and enjoy. This assumes that your Roku and your computer are on the same network.

• Download and install Plex Media Server from http://plexapp.com/getplex/. It's available for OS X, Windows, and some flavors of Linux.
  • Use the Media Manager to tell Plex Media Server where the media is on your computer. For example, maybe you have movies in C:\Movies and photos in C:\Pictures
  • Install the Plex channel on your Roku. It's available in the Roku Channel Store, or you can click here.
  • Configure the Plex channel on your Roku to know about your Plex Media Server. When you start the Plex channel on your Roku, it will try to discover your Plex Media Server(s) automatically. Unfortunately, discovery may not work, depending on your network. That's ok, you can always add the server manually by going to Preferences -> Plex Media Servers -> Add Server Manually. On that screen, enter the IP address of the Plex Media Server. Verify that the server is running and you have the right IP address by opening a browser and going to http://_the_ip_address_:32400/. If it's working, it'll show some XML. If you get an error message from your browser (e.g. server not responding), then either your Plex Media Server isn't running, or you have the wrong IP address. Once it's working, enter that IP address into your Roku. (And if it's not working but you have the right IP, there might be something on your computer blocking connections to the PMS, like a firewall, antivirus, or VPN client.)

If you run into problems, there's more info about Plex Media Server on the wiki and in the forums. You're probably better off in the Plex Media Server forum for your particular operating system than in the Roku forum, but we'll try to help out regardless.

Getting started with myPlex

Using myPlex, you can watch queued content on your Roku, access sections that other users have shared with you, and access your own servers on a remote network.

• Connect your myPlex account on the Roku. Preferences -> Connect myPlex account. It'll show you a pin and tell you to enter it at https://my.plexapp.com/pin
  • Go back to the main screen of the Plex channel on your Roku and enjoy!

You can learn more about the queue, and install the Plex It! bookmarklet, at https://my.plexapp.com/queue/help

#2 RLKelley

RLKelley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:38 PM

Those instructions for adding the MyPlex server manually are extremely long. How do you ever expect to market this product successfully with such instructions just to get it to work. Please let me know when you have Apple easy software and I will continue with this product. Until then I may search out an IT expert to do it. I'm somewhat scared that I will mess up the wireless system I have. Nobody but IT experts or real computer geeks will do this. Get real. Get some software out there that works easily.

#3 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3333 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:06 AM

Those instructions for adding the MyPlex server manually are extremely long. How do you ever expect to market this product successfully with such instructions just to get it to work. Please let me know when you have Apple easy software and I will continue with this product. Until then I may search out an IT expert to do it. I'm somewhat scared that I will mess up the wireless system I have. Nobody but IT experts or real computer geeks will do this. Get real. Get some software out there that works easily.

A fair point, and one that's well taken (as indicated in the opening of the post), but allow me to respond. Not sure if you read the paragraph.

1) Server discovery is often automatic, no effort required whatsoever. That's what we prefer for exactly the reasons you describe. Sometimes discovery doesn't work because of the network configuration.
2) Manual adding is really only one step: enter the PMS IP address.
3) The rest of the paragraph is about troubleshooting. People often struggle with manual adding because of things like having the wrong IP address, so I tried to capture some info about that. The goal of this post is to help people out, which includes troubleshooting.
4) And just to reiterate, feedback is always welcome. We're constantly trying to make things both better and easier. If you do decide to give it a try, let us know how it goes.

#4 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3333 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

I want this to be more of a little help page and less of a discussion, so I'm going to close comments. If you're having issues, start a new topic and someone will help you out. If you have an issue with the original post, send me a PM and I'll edit it. Thanks!

(trevonbach: I'll split out your topic and respond.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users