Some of you have stumbled upon Plex for your Roku and are having a hard time getting started. Should there be more and better documentation? Yes. Should certain things be easier? Yes. And we're working on both of those things. In the meantime, here are a few notes to help you get started.
Getting started with local Plex Media Server content
Using Plex Media Server, you can get access to media that's on your computer through your Roku. You simply tell PMS about your media (movies, TV shows, music, pictures), and then link it up to the Plex channel on your Roku, and enjoy. This assumes that your Roku and your computer are on the same network.
- Download and install Plex Media Server from http://plexapp.com/getplex/. It's available for OS X, Windows, and some flavors of Linux.
- Use the Media Manager to tell Plex Media Server where the media is on your computer. For example, maybe you have movies in C:\Movies and photos in C:\Pictures
- Install the Plex channel on your Roku. It's available in the Roku Channel Store, or you can click here.
- Configure the Plex channel on your Roku to know about your Plex Media Server. When you start the Plex channel on your Roku, it will try to discover your Plex Media Server(s) automatically. Unfortunately, discovery may not work, depending on your network. That's ok, you can always add the server manually by going to Preferences -> Plex Media Servers -> Add Server Manually. On that screen, enter the IP address of the Plex Media Server. Verify that the server is running and you have the right IP address by opening a browser and going to http://_the_ip_address_:32400/. If it's working, it'll show some XML. If you get an error message from your browser (e.g. server not responding), then either your Plex Media Server isn't running, or you have the wrong IP address. Once it's working, enter that IP address into your Roku. (And if it's not working but you have the right IP, there might be something on your computer blocking connections to the PMS, like a firewall, antivirus, or VPN client.)
If you run into problems, there's more info about Plex Media Server on the wiki and in the forums. You're probably better off in the Plex Media Server forum for your particular operating system than in the Roku forum, but we'll try to help out regardless.
Getting started with Connecting to Plex.tv
Using plex.tv, you can watch queued content on your Roku, access sections that other users have shared with you, and access your own servers on a remote network.
- Sign up for a Plex account at https://plex.tv/
- Connect your Plex account on the Roku. Preferences -> Connect myPlex account. It'll show you a pin and tell you to enter it at https://plex.tv/pin
- Go back to the main screen of the Plex channel on your Roku and enjoy!
You can learn more about the queue, and install the Plex It! bookmarklet, at http://plex.tv/web/a...list/queue/help