32 replies to this topic

#1 Scouzer

Scouzer

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

I started getting errors when I play any mkv files. It says “Audio outputs temporarily muted. Do not adjust the playback volume. The content being played is protected by Cinavia™
and is not authorized for playback on this device. For more information, see http://www.cinavia.com. Message Code 3.”. is there anyone who knows what you can do about this?? without converting files

#2 hd1080

hd1080

Plex for Samsung Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

I started getting errors when I play any mkv files. It says “Audio outputs temporarily muted. Do not adjust the playback volume. The content being played is protected by Cinavia™
and is not authorized for playback on this device. For more information, see http://www.cinavia.com. Message Code 3.”. is there anyone who knows what you can do about this?? without converting files

What kind of files are you trying to play?

Are you sure you use the Plex app because Cinavia has only to do with Blu-Rays as far as I know?

If you like our Plex App for Samsung and would like to donate you can do this here

Get the latest news via twitter @plexforsamsung
Plex for Samsung TV's / BD-Player Forum
Plex for Samsung TVs / BD-Player Wiki (include screenshots)

Samsung Environment: UE55D7090, BD-C5900, BD-D5300

#3 Scouzer

Scouzer

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

What kind of files are you trying to play?

Are you sure you use the Plex app because Cinavia has only to do with Blu-Rays as far as I know?

yes the same error appears whether I use plex or AllShare. I play MKV files.

#4 hd1080

hd1080

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

yes the same error appears whether I use plex or AllShare. I play MKV files.

How did you create them?

If you like our Plex App for Samsung and would like to donate you can do this here

#5 Scouzer

Scouzer

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

How did you create them?

I didn't

#6 hd1080

hd1080

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

I didn't

Okay, I guess that they are not correctly created.
Could you post the output from MediaInfo here?

#7 Blaquespell

Blaquespell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

Okay, I guess that they are not correctly created.
Could you post the output from MediaInfo here?

Cinavia will survive re-encoding so there's no known workaround unless you can get an audio track without it and remux. The firmware of the Samsung has the Cinavia protection in it, doesn't matter if it's a Blu-Ray or MKV or MP4, it's still a watermark in the audio. Sometimes you can get the AC3 track from a DVD and it won't contain the protection. I had the same problem from a rip for The Other Guys. Plays fine on the computer because they haven't implemented Cinavia.

#8 freerunner

freerunner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

Cinavia will survive re-encoding so there's no known workaround unless you can get an audio track without it and remux. The firmware of the Samsung has the Cinavia protection in it, doesn't matter if it's a Blu-Ray or MKV or MP4, it's still a watermark in the audio. Sometimes you can get the AC3 track from a DVD and it won't contain the protection. I had the same problem from a rip for The Other Guys. Plays fine on the computer because they haven't implemented Cinavia.

Yep, same error for me when I watched "a new movie" with DTS and Ciniavia protection.
All current bluray players are required to support the Cinavia protection, and that affects playback of all kinds of media that can contain it, not just bluray. I don't think there's anything Plex can do about this without reencoding the sound to DD/AC3.
This is why I think I have to drop the samsung player and move over to a simple media player without bluray or go back to HTCP/Plex.
Apple TV3
Windows Plex Media Server

#9 hd1080

hd1080

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

Interesting. I thought if you rip the BD with AnyDVDHD it would get rid of the protection.

I hope the TVs don't have this.

#10 freerunner

freerunner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

Interesting. I thought if you rip the BD with AnyDVDHD it would get rid of the protection.

I hope the TVs don't have this.

The protection is in the sound stream, not the video stream. The sound stream is often directly copied without reencoding.
The consequence when playing a file with cinavia protection is that the sound get's muted after like..20-30 minutes, and a message appears. Then the sound comes back and after just a minute again it's muted and so on..making the movie unwatchable.

TV's and Media Players (without bluray player) are not required to have this protection, so I don't think Samsung TV's will have any problem with it. To bad for me, I'm running BD6900N and a projector..
Apple TV3

#11 hd1080

hd1080

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

The protection is in the sound stream, not the video stream. The sound stream is often directly copied without reencoding.
The consequence when playing a file with cinavia protection is that the sound get's muted after like..20-30 minutes, and a message appears. Then the sound comes back and after just a minute again it's muted and so on..making the movie unwatchable.

TV's and Media Players (without bluray player) are not required to have this protection, so I don't think Samsung TV's will have any problem with it. To bad for me, I'm running BD6900N and a projector..

That sucks. I wanted to get a BD-Player from the new E-Series.

#12 freerunner

freerunner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

That sucks. I wanted to get a BD-Player from the new E-Series.

Yea, well, so far I've only encountered one movie with this protection but I assume more of them will pop up from now on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia

In conjunction with the existing Advanced Access Content System(AACS) digital rights management (DRM) inclusion of Cinavia watermarking detection support became mandatory for all consumer Blu-ray players from 2012.

Apple TV3

#13 Scouzer

Scouzer

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

DVDFab apparently deliver a solution to rip Blurays without cinavia protection.

http://www.dvdfab.com/cinavia.htm

#14 Blaquespell

Blaquespell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

DVDFab apparently deliver a solution to rip Blurays without cinavia protection.

http://www.dvdfab.com/cinavia.htm

Their solution only works for the PS3 though and it's a hack at that, doesn't really remove the protection.

#15 Blaquespell

Blaquespell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

Yep, same error for me when I watched "a new movie" with DTS and Ciniavia protection.
All current bluray players are required to support the Cinavia protection, and that affects playback of all kinds of media that can contain it, not just bluray. I don't think there's anything Plex can do about this without reencoding the sound to DD/AC3.
This is why I think I have to drop the samsung player and move over to a simple media player without bluray or go back to HTCP/Plex.

That won't work either. I convert my Blu-Ray's audio to stereo AAC and it still persists. According to the Cinavia article on Wikipedia, an external mic recording the audio from a movie theater showing would still capture the watermark.

#16 Scouzer

Scouzer

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

Their solution only works for the PS3 though and it's a hack at that, doesn't really remove the protection.

So the more films that get the protection the more useless is Plex?

#17 freerunner

freerunner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

So the more films that get the protection the more useless is Plex?

It's not Plex that is the limit, it's the bluray player. It doesn't matter if you try the movie through Plex, DLNA, or even through USB, the limitation/DRM checker is built into the software player of the bluray player. I think I've read somewhere that you can remove DRM protection if you root the bluray player, but that's way beyond Plex.
Samsung Smart TV's doesn't have this protection.
Apple TV3

#18 Scouzer

Scouzer

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

It's not Plex that is the limit, it's the bluray player. It doesn't matter if you try the movie through Plex, DLNA, or even through USB, the limitation/DRM checker is built into the software player of the bluray player. I think I've read somewhere that you can remove DRM protection if you root the bluray player, but that's way beyond Plex.
Samsung Smart TV's doesn't have this protection.

I known it's not Plex that is the limit, but I still can't use Plex because of the protection, and I can't afford to buy a Smart tv

#19 freerunner

freerunner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

I known it's not Plex that is the limit, but I still can't use Plex because of the protection, and I can't afford to buy a Smart tv

I read that a workaround for those who rip bluray movies is to rip the dts/ac3 audio from the dvd version of the same movie and then mux it into the hd-rip. Apparently the DRM protection would not be put on the DVD version.
This might be useable if the movie is shipped with two versions in the box, it'll take some more time if you have to buy two versions of the movie, and it also requires some skills in muxing and syncing.

Samsung should have made a media player only, without the bluray player, like LG's ST600, it would also be a nice addon for people not owning a new Samsung Smart TV.
Apple TV3

#20 Blaquespell

Blaquespell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Here's a good overview of Cinavia with a list of movies that are currently known to have it. Getting the DVD audio track can bypass it in some cases, but there are movies that have the protection on both the Blu-Ray and DVD version of the film, like "The Roommate".

DVD Fab Cinavia Blog

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users