• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joypunk

joypunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

SOLVED: The problem was a disconnected mapped NAS drive.

--

I just upgraded my GoogleTV Plex app to 2.1.0.8 and now am unable to watch any videos. Every video I try to play instantly comes back with "The media player timed out while trying to start playback". There is no delay before this message (like you'd expect with a true timeout), it is instant.

If I open Plex Media Center on my Windows 7 laptop, videos will play normally as you'd expect.

My server is running on a Windows 7 desktop machine, server version 0.9.5.3.

Troubleshooting I've done so far:
1) Reboot GoogleTV
2) Reboot Plex Media Server
3) Exit Plex app and reopen
4) "Clear cache" from within Plex Advanced settings

Would love to get back to watching Plex on my GoogleTV... please help!

Edit: GoogleTV device is a Logitech Revue.

Edited by darrin, 26 April 2012 - 07:34 PM.
Posted Solution.

#2 darrin

darrin

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2062 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

joypunk - thanks for the post!

Okay - the immediate nature of the failure is interesting. It implies that there's some kind of exception occurring which in turn implies there's a reasonable fix. This part is a bit difficult but I need you to try to get me a logcat so we can get a closer look at what's going on. Instructions on this are in my signature below. Thanks!
Please visit the Android FAQ for network troubleshooting tips and if you're not sure how to Capture a Logcat and Caputre a Plex Media Server.log. To ensure a prompt reply - please always include a link back to the topic you're writing about!!

Follow me (darrin) on twitter for Android and Google TV related goodness.

Thanks!
-Darrin

#3 joypunk

joypunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

Well, I looked at the logs and figured it out myself... although it still doesn't make complete and total sense to me.

My media resides on a NAS, which is mapped to a drive on my Windows 7 machine that holds the server. For some reason, the mapped drive was disconnected so when the server tried to play the media it couldn't find the file. That's what the Plex Media Server.log file told me.

What I don't understand, though, is how the files would play just fine from my laptop using Plex Media Center for Windows.

Would you still like the log files?

#4 elan

elan

Sheriff of Plexville

• Sheriff Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7412 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

I can possibly explain that. The Plex client tries to optimize the path to the media, so if it's available via a local file path, it doesn't hit the server. Make sense?

Instagram: @elan
The Plex blog.
The wife's photography site.
The brother's photography blog.
The dog's twitter feed.

#5 ranjan2413

ranjan2413

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

I can possibly explain that. The Plex client tries to optimize the path to the media, so if it's available via a local file path, it doesn't hit the server. Make sense?

I posted in another thread about having the same problem. I thought I would add that this only started about 2 days ago and I noticed that it stopped working on my Google TV and Android tablet at the same time.

#6 darrin

darrin

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2062 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

I posted in another thread about having the same problem. I thought I would add that this only started about 2 days ago and I noticed that it stopped working on my Google TV and Android tablet at the same time.

If it stopped working on both your tablet and the GTV at the same time it points to a change in either your network or server since there was no update to the tablets two days ago. Can you provide a Plex Media Server log as described in my signature below?
Please visit the Android FAQ for network troubleshooting tips and if you're not sure how to Capture a Logcat and Caputre a Plex Media Server.log. To ensure a prompt reply - please always include a link back to the topic you're writing about!!

Thanks!
-Darrin

#7 darrin

darrin

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2062 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Well, I looked at the logs and figured it out myself... although it still doesn't make complete and total sense to me.

My media resides on a NAS, which is mapped to a drive on my Windows 7 machine that holds the server. For some reason, the mapped drive was disconnected so when the server tried to play the media it couldn't find the file. That's what the Plex Media Server.log file told me.

What I don't understand, though, is how the files would play just fine from my laptop using Plex Media Center for Windows.

Would you still like the log files?

joypunk - congrats and thanks for letting us know! No need for logs at this point but thanks for the offer. I made some minor edits to make the solution easy to find for those that follow.

Thanks!
-Darrin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users