• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mickdaly

mickdaly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

I am a former Sagetv user with a big library of movies, mostly Handbrake-ripped DVDs on my server.

When I stumbled over Plex (via my Roku player), I was excited. Set Plex Media Server up on my server, Plex app on my Roku, pointed it to my library and ...

discovered that Plex does not stream DVD formats - what use is that?!

read about MakeMkv Automator, but found out it's for Macs only!

Is there any hope or help out there?

#2 Alan Morgan

Alan Morgan

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

MakeMKV works under windows as well. The automator might not, however.

There's always the batch processing feature of Handbrake; you can use it to convert them to MP4-- that's the format best supported by the Roku; PMS can transform most formats, but the Roku is very, very picky about its specifications as to what it will play correctly. MP4s with too many reference frames will be problematic, MKVs that aren't compatible can crash the Roku, etc. All in all, converting to MP4 has been the most stable format for Roku playback we've found.
Former member of the Plex for Roku development team

Units Owned: Roku 1 XD, Roku 2 XS

Posted Image

#3 nerpissad

nerpissad

Plex Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1511 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

hi mickdaly,

you say you've ripped your DVD's with handbrake. hasn't that converted the DVD's into mp4 files instead of VIDEO_TS or .iso's? it's only streaming VIDEO_TS and in most cases .iso's that is not supported. most, if not all, other formats should work just fine.

What to do if you're new to Plex?
First you should have a look at the Plex Wiki, its full of all sorts of useful information. For all initial set-up questions, the screencasts are an invaluable source of answers.
If you still can't solve your problem, your
Plex log files are very useful source of information. Zip them up and attach them to your post.

#4 mickdaly

mickdaly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

MakeMKV works under windows as well. The automator might not, however.

There's always the batch processing feature of Handbrake; you can use it to convert them to MP4-- that's the format best supported by the Roku; PMS can transform most formats, but the Roku is very, very picky about its specifications as to what it will play correctly. MP4s with too many reference frames will be problematic, MKVs that aren't compatible can crash the Roku, etc. All in all, converting to MP4 has been the most stable format for Roku playback we've found.

I misspoke - I used AnyDVD to rip them. Won't mp4 versions lose a lot of the resolution I have with my DVD formats?

#5 mickdaly

mickdaly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

hi mickdaly,

you say you've ripped your DVD's with handbrake. hasn't that converted the DVD's into mp4 files instead of VIDEO_TS or .iso's? it's only streaming VIDEO_TS and in most cases .iso's that is not supported. most, if not all, other formats should work just fine.

I chose to have AnyDVD convert to DVD formats to preserve the quality.

#6 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:31 AM

I chose to have AnyDVD convert to DVD formats to preserve the quality.

Using something like MakeMKV will not change the audio/video in any way - so also no change in quality, You will loose menus but you will also end up with a streamable MKV format.
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#7 Danny Plex

Danny Plex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

AnyDVD is not a ripping software. It only removes copyright DVD protection, so the ripping software can actually do its job.

#8 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

AnyDVD is not a ripping software. It only removes copyright DVD protection, so the ripping software can actually do its job.

AnyDVD does rip to either an .iso or Video_TS structure neither of which are supported by Plex for streaming.
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users