Photo

Does DVD player works with latest Plex version?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 shantyplexer

shantyplexer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hi all,

I'm running Plex version 0.9.2.7-ff76e66 on a Mac Mini (Mac OS , external DVD player). With this configuration I can play DVD's from Plex.

I would like to upgrade to the latest Plex version, but it's essential for me I can still use the DVD player from within Plex. Is this the case?
Thanks!

#2 Murderous Moppet

Murderous Moppet

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

No, DVD playback is very much MIA.

+1 for getting it back ASAP

#3 shantyplexer

shantyplexer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for letting me know.

Really sucks this basic feature is missing in Plex. Anyone with (small) children will have DVD's floating in and out the house from kid's friends. Don't want them all in Plex's library, just pop in DVD and done.

Ergo +1 for getting in back!

#4 ayetobee

ayetobee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

It is still missing in 9.5.3 as well

Unless I am doing something wrong (which is possible) the DVD does not appear in the menu once loaded

Is this a feature that is intended to slowly disappear?

thanks

#5 skyy99

skyy99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for letting me know.

Really sucks this basic feature is missing in Plex. Anyone with (small) children will have DVD's floating in and out the house from kid's friends. Don't want them all in Plex's library, just pop in DVD and done.

Ergo +1 for getting in back!

Agreed. Playing movies off of the most dominate medium currently in use world wide is sort of important for HTPC software.
It's surprising and disappointing that the Plex team hasn't put in the effort to get this working.

#6 Murderous Moppet

Murderous Moppet

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

also frustrating that we can get no official response.

#7 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8665 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

The broken DVD support on the OS X version of the current Plex Media Center desktop client is a known issue. It's already been formally reported. The feature was working in test versions of the "Laika" client (0.9.5.x client), but broke shortly before release and the devs haven't yet tracked down what caused the breakage.

I definitely agree that it would be great to get support for DVDs working again. That said, it's actually not been a feature that had particularly broad use across the general Plex userbase in the past. For those who need/want the feature, the fact that it isn't working is understandably a significant issue. But I think it has a bit lower priority for the devs than some other issues since it affects what frankly amounts to a relatively small portion of the userbase.

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#8 smedberg

smedberg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

I would also like to have DVD-support.

Does anyone know how to start the DVD app from inside Plex until it is fixed?

#9 tektor

tektor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

+1 for DVD playback, from ripped directory.

I'm a fan and daily user of Plex, and much appreciate the devs' efforts.

That said, it's actually not been a feature that had particularly broad use across the general Plex userbase in the past.

I wonder where that information comes from. Are there (anonymous) stats sent from clients? It seems to me that for the occasions when a user obtains physical media, it makes the most sense to rip it in a raw format to keep full quality. MacTheRipper for example is a simple free app that does that job. I can only imagine that there are many other Plex users who would want to play back that media through Plex if it were an option.

Anyway, thanks for the discussion. Plex rocks.

#10 Murderous Moppet

Murderous Moppet

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

sometimes I dont want to rip a movie. I dont want to waste time and space ripping something im only going to watch once.

If anybody is interested i can post a plugin i wrote for DVD playback. Its mac only (tho maybe somebody could adapt it for windows; linux would be easy just alter some paths in the code), and it requires VLC and libdvdcss. Also you cannot skip forward and can only pause and rewind according to how plex buffers the stream. No menu support either; just starts playing the first title.

#11 Squuiid

Squuiid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:00 AM

+1 for DVD playback, and +1 for an update to the buggy Mac client. Go back to your roots Plex and give the Mac client the attention it deserves.

#12 PlexiFlexi

PlexiFlexi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

I definitely agree that it would be great to get support for DVDs working again. That said, it's actually not been a feature that had particularly broad use across the general Plex userbase in the past. For those who need/want the feature, the fact that it isn't working is understandably a significant issue. But I think it has a bit lower priority for the devs than some other issues since it affects what frankly amounts to a relatively small portion of the userbase.

I' am sorry, but i don't think that this is really true, In my case: (i' am just switching from Win to Mac Mini) because harddisk storage is very cheap compared to the past, i rather copied my dvd's to my NAS instead of reencoding or something like that.

It is not only the support of a full dvd (menues, bonus, etc.), even if i only have a "VIDEO_TS.IFO" filestrukture with only one Chapter to be played it does not work. This affects 20 - 25 % of my movie files.

Just to mention, not to complain anyone.

#13 ayetobee

ayetobee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:49 AM

Has anyone seen dvd playback return in 9.5.4 ?

thanks

#14 T3rr0rbyte

T3rr0rbyte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

Has anyone seen dvd playback return in 9.5.4 ?

thanks

Nope still missing in 9.5.4 :-(

It's a simple feature that was almost working in near current release, surely it must be possible to fix it relatively easily especially with some of the more advanced features they have already managed to do :-)

#15 mr_p

mr_p

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

Couldn't agree more that this is a much missed feature. Playing DVDs from discs or images from a hard drive is actually very useful.

And the old workaround of having DVD player available as an app within Plex is also broken.

Would love to see it fixed....

8•(

#16 teracerulean

teracerulean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

There is another good reason for fixing this. Like a lot of software that started open source, or that has an active user community for other reasons, there is a pn awful lot of chat out there about how to do this or that. If something breaks that leads to a lot of wasted time. I have lost quite a few hours because, though it wasn't an urgent feature it would be good to use the Plex interface to navigate a DVD. The 10-foot UI is not bad, especially now there is no Front Row.

So there I am finding all these posts and articles about what to do and not do to use Plex to play DVDs getting more and more frustrated that nothing worked.

This kind of stuff trashes a companies reputation and helps keep it locked up behind the high tech-pain threshold of the hack and fiddle set.

The rest of just curse and go away.

#17 razzintown

razzintown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

Bring back DVD support! 

#18 ddid

ddid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

No answer for the same question (Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:22 AM) here

Will you bring back DVD playback or not ?

#19 AShaw2121

AShaw2121

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

I have had a difficult time finding answer to this question until I came across this forum. Hopefully this issue will be fixed. I don't necessarily want to rip every DVD I have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users