7 replies to this topic

#1 orb360

orb360

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:11 AM

I have the Roku 2 XD (wifi only)

So I have a 1080p mkv file encoded in h.264 with AC3 audio... Iron Man.

If I transcode it down to 720p my processor use is 80%, but no buffering. Playback is totally fine.

Same file, but attempt 1080p and I get 10% CPU usage, yet it buffers every 1-2 minutes.

Is wifi just not enough bandwidth for transferring 1080p?

I am in a condo complex, so there are quite a few wifi networks that could be interfering...

Could I install custom firmware on my router and swap to channel 14 to get away from the interference? (Will roku hardware even do channel 14? Will the FCC string me up to dry?)

Should I return my Roku 2 and upgrade to the wired version? (That would be a PITA and I don't even know if it's in the returnable period anymore... gotta check receipts)

#2 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3325 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:58 AM

I have the Roku 2 XD (wifi only)

So I have a 1080p mkv file encoded in h.264 with AC3 audio... Iron Man.

If I transcode it down to 720p my processor use is 80%, but no buffering. Playback is totally fine.

Same file, but attempt 1080p and I get 10% CPU usage, yet it buffers every 1-2 minutes.

Is wifi just not enough bandwidth for transferring 1080p?

Right, it sounds like a network issue. When you choose 1080p, the server is just remuxing the H.264/AC3 streams into a different container (HLS). That's not going to tax your CPU, but it might stress the network. When you choose 720p, the server is transcoding, so it's going to require more CPU. What's the bitrate of the original file? It might be pushing it for the Roku itself or for the network.

I am in a condo complex, so there are quite a few wifi networks that could be interfering...

Could I install custom firmware on my router and swap to channel 14 to get away from the interference? (Will roku hardware even do channel 14? Will the FCC string me up to dry?)

Sorry, you've lost me. :]

#3 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

HI,

You'd be best asking that on a Roku forum I think, but as it's a channel that is pretty much only enabled in Japan I personally doubt it would. It you are having lots of channel overlap issues then wired may be your only real option unfortunately.
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#4 orb360

orb360

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

I'll take a look at the bitrate.

I do have a lot of wifi interference I think. I changed my channel from 5 to 11 so we'll see if that helps.

I'll also do some tests with the roku sitting a lot closer to the AP.

If not I guess I'll just return it and upgrade to the wired roku O_o

#5 peeweeh

peeweeh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:53 AM

I recently bought an XS to replace my macbook pro which was running plex perfectly on a lan connection. I just need to replace to save power.

However all 1080p movies i play does not load or gets laggy. The roku is on 100mbps LAN as well. question is is it a roku problem, network, or plex settings?

#6 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

I recently bought an XS to replace my macbook pro which was running plex perfectly on a lan connection. I just need to replace to save power.

However all 1080p movies i play does not load or gets laggy. The roku is on 100mbps LAN as well. question is is it a roku problem, network, or plex settings?

Hi,
What is the spec of your PMS server? With the MBP as a client, all the decoding was being done on the laptop itself so relying on your server to do very little. WIth the Roku as the client, this will change and fair whack of the decoding will now be taking place on the server so it's spec becomes far more critical. For 1080p transcoding, you'd want to the server to be running on a core 2 duo 2.4ghz cpu or better. If your server is low spec, you also have the option of re-encoding all your media into a format that the Roku likes, this will avoid server side transcoding and the server will just pass hte media to the Roky essentially working the same as it did with the MBP.
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#7 peeweeh

peeweeh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

Hi,
What is the spec of your PMS server? With the MBP as a client, all the decoding was being done on the laptop itself so relying on your server to do very little. WIth the Roku as the client, this will change and fair whack of the decoding will now be taking place on the server so it's spec becomes far more critical. For 1080p transcoding, you'd want to the server to be running on a core 2 duo 2.4ghz cpu or better. If your server is low spec, you also have the option of re-encoding all your media into a format that the Roku likes, this will avoid server side transcoding and the server will just pass hte media to the Roky essentially working the same as it did with the MBP.

the PMS server is an athlon x4 rig.. pretty decent not just a download drone... if i re-encode any good format or configuration that roku will love?

#8 unblowupable5

unblowupable5

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

Handbrake with AppleTV2 preset seems to work best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users