#1 IanB!

IanB!

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

Hey,

Ok, so technically this isn't a 'new' plug-in. It is however a complete re-write of the existing channel in the hope to improve the user experience. As i'm sure people are aware, the websites for which Channels are written for will occasionally change. Hulu is an example of one which the site developers are always tweaking things which subsequently caused the previous channel to fall more and more out of date. This first release of the new version should hopefully restore functionality back to where it should be. There are a few known issues to iron out but I think that most users will be happy with the improvements...

Hulu.png

This new version will be available via Plex Online very shortly! Please keep an eye out for when it becomes available and let me know what you think and any problems that you're having with it. I'll keep a track of the known issues in this first post to hopefully make it easier for people to know its current status.

Ian

Known Issues
  • [Laika] - Slightly strange skin layout with thumbnails overlapping - This is a known issue with Laika and should be resolved in the next release
  • 'Adult Content' results in prompt for username and password, even if the plugin already has this

Plugins: SkyGo, LoveFilm-Player, Crackle, Blinkbox, Stuff.tv, 5by5, RWC2011, FXUK, Jerry Seinfeld, VideoJug, SoundCloud, Ziln
Rewitten: YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Pitchfork.TV, National Geographic
Blog: Plex Plugin DevBlog

#2 fx4

fx4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

Thank you!

#3 IanB!

IanB!

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

It's out! Enjoy
Plugins: SkyGo, LoveFilm-Player, Crackle, Blinkbox, Stuff.tv, 5by5, RWC2011, FXUK, Jerry Seinfeld, VideoJug, SoundCloud, Ziln

#4 bmoura

bmoura

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

The new Hulu looks good here so far. Thanks.

#5 woita

woita

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

Hi,
first of all, thank you for your great work - i tried it running OS X and it worked great.

Just a quick question to be sure:
This plugin still doesn't run under Linux Plex Media Server, does it?

TiA
woita

#6 IanB!

IanB!

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Hi,
first of all, thank you for your great work - i tried it running OS X and it worked great.

Just a quick question to be sure:
This plugin still doesn't run under Linux Plex Media Server, does it?

TiA
woita

Hey Woita!

Unfortunately, not. This Channel (along with some others) are WebKit based (Flash/Silverlight). This is currently not supported on Linux versions of PMS.

Ian

#7 NueTimes

NueTimes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

Thank you! I bought a roku 2 recently because so many plex plugins stopped working. I took it back to costco today because it has issues streaming high bit rate 1080 and 720 videos from PMS and some file types. While updating my plex client It also updated Hulu! This hasn't worked for me in over a year for some reason. I can't thank you enough.

#8 hocahoon

hocahoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

Thank you! I bought a roku 2 recently because so many plex plugins stopped working. I took it back to costco today because it has issues streaming high bit rate 1080 and 720 videos from PMS and some file types. While updating my plex client It also updated Hulu! This hasn't worked for me in over a year for some reason. I can't thank you enough.

Same here man, plex has some great ideas and I really wanted to make it work, but so many plugins are bugged or don't work right. I started using XBMC and never looked back.

#9 toxlab

toxlab

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:14 AM

Hey,

Ok, so technically this isn't a 'new' plug-in. It is however a complete re-write of the existing channel in the hope to improve the user experience. As i'm sure people are aware, the websites for which Channels are written for will occasionally change. Hulu is an example of one which the site developers are always tweaking things which subsequently caused the previous channel to fall more and more out of date. This first release of the new version should hopefully restore functionality back to where it should be. There are a few known issues to iron out but I think that most users will be happy with the improvements...

Hulu.png

This new version will be available via Plex Online very shortly! Please keep an eye out for when it becomes available and let me know what you think and any problems that you're having with it. I'll keep a track of the known issues in this first post to hopefully make it easier for people to know its current status.

Ian

Known Issues
  • [Laika] - Slightly strange skin layout with thumbnails overlapping - This is a known issue with Laika and should be resolved in the next release
  • 'Adult Content' results in prompt for username and password, even if the plugin already has this

Thanks for the rewrite of the Hulu plugin! I noticed that the "My Favorites" is now missing under the my Hulu". Will you be implementing this menu item again? It makes it much easier to see new episodes that are available in the shows we put into the favorites menu at Hulu. Thanks!

#10 IanB!

IanB!

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for the rewrite of the Hulu plugin! I noticed that the "My Favorites" is now missing under the my Hulu". Will you be implementing this menu item again? It makes it much easier to see new episodes that are available in the shows we put into the favorites menu at Hulu. Thanks!

Yeah, my bad. I removed it as I was struggling to get it work again and forgot to look back into it :) I'll try to spend some time this weekend to see if I can restore it again. Sorry

Ian

#11 IanB!

IanB!

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

I've just submitted the changes needed to re-enable 'My Favourites' section. Hopefully this update will be approved soon and released. Let me know if you have any issues...

#12 toxlab

toxlab

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:09 AM

I've just submitted the changes needed to re-enable 'My Favourites' section. Hopefully this update will be approved soon and released. Let me know if you have any issues...

Thanks IanB! Seems to work fine, although sometimes it does not fetch the episodes for some shows. I usually chalk this up to the fact that they have been removed, but that does not seem to always be the case. This happened before you rewrote the plugin so it may be a Hulu problem

#13 IanB!

IanB!

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

Thanks IanB! Seems to work fine, although sometimes it does not fetch the episodes for some shows. I usually chalk this up to the fact that they have been removed, but that does not seem to always be the case. This happened before you rewrote the plugin so it may be a Hulu problem

If you give me some examples of the TV Shows that it doesn't work for, i'd be happy to take a look. I think that some of them are split into 'Categories' instead of 'Seasons', which can cause a problem.

Ian

#14 toxlab

toxlab

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

If you give me some examples of the TV Shows that it doesn't work for, i'd be happy to take a look. I think that some of them are split into 'Categories' instead of 'Seasons', which can cause a problem.

Ian

Ian, it appears to just be American Dad, which shows over 100 unwatched episodes, but none come up. It could be that they have all expired, but typically they will appear and allow a short clip to play. I tried accessing it under tv shows too and had the same problem, so it may be a Hulu problem with this show rather than your plugin. It worked great with all the other shows I had in my favorites (whether or not they were separated into seasons).. Thanks again!

#15 BrettB

BrettB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:26 PM

Hi Ian,

I'm glad to see someone else is taking a look at Hulu. (I started looking into it, but was blocked because I didn't know how to expand the Queue using URL parameters)

It seems all your general browsing sections look find, minus a few strings and art being out of place.
Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 1.57.49 PM.png

The Queue and Favorites still need work, in my opinion; it probably does not like my large Queue.

It appears you using the following URL for the Queue, correct?
http://www.hulu.com/...queue?view=list

* I am only seeing the first page of my Queue using your Channel.
* There is an episode number that probably should not used as a prefix in this view, instead perhaps it should be "Show Title - SXXEXX - Episode Title"
* I am again seeing where the art and strings out of place.
Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 2.13.32 PM.png

I would also expect the Queue to be organized by show, similar to how it is seen on my Samsung Blu-ray player.

Perhaps instead of the following in My Hulu:
My Queue
TV Show Recommendations
Movie Recommendations
My Favorites

Go with the following:
My Queue - By Show, using http://www.hulu.com/...ueue?view=group
My Queue - List, using http://www.hulu.com/...queue?view=list
TV Show Recommendations
Movie Recommendations
My Favorites

I have the Show/Group parsing mostly figured out.

EDIT: I answered my own question.
Perhaps I will fork and work on My Queue - By Show and then when I have it finished, I'll let you know.

Great start so far! I can't wait to stop using my Blu-ray player again!!

Cheers,
Brett

#16 IanB!

IanB!

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hi Ian,

I'm glad to see someone else is taking a look at Hulu. (I started looking into it, but was blocked because I didn't know how to expand the Queue using URL parameters)

It seems all your general browsing sections look find, minus a few strings and art being out of place.
Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 1.57.49 PM.png

The Queue and Favorites still need work, in my opinion; it probably does not like my large Queue.

It appears you using the following URL for the Queue, correct?
http://www.hulu.com/...queue?view=list

* I am only seeing the first page of my Queue using your Channel.
* There is an episode number that probably should not used as a prefix in this view, instead perhaps it should be "Show Title - SXXEXX - Episode Title"
* I am again seeing where the art and strings out of place.
Screen Shot 2012-06-06 at 2.13.32 PM.png

I would also expect the Queue to be organized by show, similar to how it is seen on my Samsung Blu-ray player.

Perhaps instead of the following in My Hulu:
My Queue
TV Show Recommendations
Movie Recommendations
My Favorites

Go with the following:
My Queue - By Show, using http://www.hulu.com/...ueue?view=group
My Queue - List, using http://www.hulu.com/...queue?view=list
TV Show Recommendations
Movie Recommendations
My Favorites

I have the Show/Group parsing mostly figured out.

EDIT: I answered my own question.
Perhaps I will fork and work on My Queue - By Show and then when I have it finished, I'll let you know.

Great start so far! I can't wait to stop using my Blu-ray player again!!

Cheers,
Brett

Hey Brett,

I'm guessing by your screenshots that you're using an outdated version of Laika. I believe that skinning issue has been fixed in the last 2 releases. Also, a plugin has no control over how the client actually presents this data. The channel reports that it's an episode, giving it's name, show title, index, etc and the client decides how best to display it.

Regarding your suggestions to the queue, i'm happy for you to make any changes and send pull requests. The most important thing is that the channel is reliable and the code is maintainable.

Ian

#17 BrettB

BrettB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

I'm guessing by your screenshots that you're using an outdated version of Laika. I believe that skinning issue has been fixed in the last 2 releases. Also, a plugin has no control over how the client actually presents this data. The channel reports that it's an episode, giving it's name, show title, index, etc and the client decides how best to display it.

Sorry about that, I really thought thought I had freshly installed this week.

Just about all the features work as expected in v0.9.5.3, except for the following:
* My Queue only shows the first 25 items in the queue.
* The title in the Queue list is currently just the Episode Title. This makes it hard to distinguish the item in your queue(just by looking at the list), and it needs to be highlighted to understand what show it actually is. I would recommend either "Show Title - Episode Title" or "Show Title - SXXEXX - Episode Title"

To help with the first problems:
* It is because you are using www.hulu.com/profile/queue?view=list, which will default to www.hulu.com/profile/queue?view=list&kind=thumbs
* If you use www.hulu.com/profile/queue?view=list&kind=list, it will show at least 500(I know this since my Queue has 424 items), but it might support an infinite number of items. The only problem with using this URL is that the thumbnails will need to be pulled from elsewhere, but the rest of the valuable info is there.

Hope this helps, and thanks again!

Cheers,
Brett

#18 IanB!

IanB!

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

Sorry about that, I really thought thought I had freshly installed this week.

Just about all the features work as expected in v0.9.5.3, except for the following:
* My Queue only shows the first 25 items in the queue.
* The title in the Queue list is currently just the Episode Title. This makes it hard to distinguish the item in your queue(just by looking at the list), and it needs to be highlighted to understand what show it actually is. I would recommend either "Show Title - Episode Title" or "Show Title - SXXEXX - Episode Title"

To help with the first problems:
* It is because you are using www.hulu.com/profile/queue?view=list, which will default to www.hulu.com/profile/queue?view=list&kind=thumbs
* If you use www.hulu.com/profile/queue?view=list&kind=list, it will show at least 500(I know this since my Queue has 424 items), but it might support an infinite number of items. The only problem with using this URL is that the thumbnails will need to be pulled from elsewhere, but the rest of the valuable info is there.

Hope this helps, and thanks again!

Cheers,
Brett

Hey,

Thanks for your post, a few comments...

I didn't actually realize that the Queue was cropped the list to only 25 items, so thanks for reporting! I think one of the issues moving to the other URL would be that the thumbnails will no longer be available for the items. I might look into whether I can keep the existing 'kind' but provide some mechanism to page. Maybe even have the code do 2 'actual' pages at a time so that 50 items are displayed at once. I'll hopefully have time soon to have a look into it...

Regarding the modification to the 'title', I'm sorry but I don't agree. The plugin provides Plex Media Server the details of the Episode as follows:

oc.add(EpisodeObject(
          url = url,
          show = show,
          title = episode_title,
          summary = summary,
          season = int(tv_details_dict['season']),
          index = int(tv_details_dict['episode']),
          thumb = thumb,
          rating = rating,
          originally_available_at = date,
          duration = duration))

The plugin provides Plex with the individual components (show, episode title, index, etc) and it's up to the client how this is displayed. I think that the suggestion you are making is in fact a suggestion on how to change the Plex Laika Skin (for you, MediaStream). If I was to change the above code and make the 'title' reflect what you have suggested, this may look fine in Laika, but would likely cause all the other clients issues (iOS, Android, Roku, LG, ...). If those clients format their Episode's differently, and construct a title like "Show Title - SXXEXX - Episode Title" and I hard code this format into the EpisodeObject's 'title', it would end up being displayed in the client as "Show Title - SXXEXX - Show Title - SXXEXX - Episode Title" which is definitely not ideal. I'm sorry again, but from the plugin, I have no means to modify how it looks in Laika.

If you want to chat about any of this, i'm often in the Plex Chat room. Drop by if you like...

Ian

#19 BrettB

BrettB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

I didn't actually realize that the Queue was cropped the list to only 25 items, so thanks for reporting! I think one of the issues moving to the other URL would be that the thumbnails will no longer be available for the items. I might look into whether I can keep the existing 'kind' but provide some mechanism to page. Maybe even have the code do 2 'actual' pages at a time so that 50 items are displayed at once. I'll hopefully have time soon to have a look into it...

Actually, a "Next..." at the end of the list might be easier to implement and then you wouldn't need to pull the thumbnails from elsewhere. Even 25 is fine, as long as there is a "Next..." at the bottom of the list.

Looks like you can preserve you normal method, and just use a "page=#" parameter:
http://www.hulu.com/profile/queue?view=list&kind=thumbs&order=asc&page=2&sort=position

As for the list titles, it really isn't that big of a deal to me, I just thought it might be confusing for the typical user. Once I finish my group view implementation, I won't be using list view anyways. :)

I'm at work now, but I'll try to swing by chat sometime this weekend!

Thanks again!
- Brett

#20 IanB!

IanB!

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

Actually, a "Next..." at the end of the list might be easier to implement and then you wouldn't need to pull the thumbnails from elsewhere. Even 25 is fine, as long as there is a "Next..." at the bottom of the list.

Looks like you can preserve you normal method, and just use a "page=#" parameter:

http://www.hulu.com/profile/queue?view=list&kind=thumbs&order=asc&page=2&sort=position

As for the list titles, it really isn't that big of a deal to me, I just thought it might be confusing for the typical user. Once I finish my group view implementation, I won't be using list view anyways. :)

I'm at work now, but I'll try to swing by chat sometime this weekend!

Thanks again!
- Brett

Awesome, thanks for that URL! I've already made the changes and sent them to the Plex guys. Hopefully wont be too long until it's made available via the App Store...

Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users