Photo

Plex on my TV: ST600, SP520, SP820, other...?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 strongbad789

strongbad789

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

I want to buy a box that I can use with my tv that will allow me to wirelessly connect to the plex server running on my mac mini in the other room. I was originally planning on getting the ST600 (since I already have an LG TV and medialink works relatively well), but the comments in the threads here aren't exactly positive (although maybe the problems have been fixed with the new beta firmware I read about?). From reading these threads I also see that the ST600 has been discontinued and replaced with the SP520 and the SP820, however the SP520 apparently doesn't work with plex.

So basically my question is: what should I get if all I want to do is stream plex onto my tv? (I don't care about web browsing or apps or anything else) Find an ST600 if I can and install the beta firmware? Wait and get an SP820? Use a different product altogether?

Thanks all.

#2 pmcd

pmcd

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:28 AM

I want to buy a box that I can use with my tv that will allow me to wirelessly connect to the plex server running on my mac mini in the other room. I was originally planning on getting the ST600 (since I already have an LG TV and medialink works relatively well), but the comments in the threads here aren't exactly positive (although maybe the problems have been fixed with the new beta firmware I read about?). From reading these threads I also see that the ST600 has been discontinued and replaced with the SP520 and the SP820, however the SP520 apparently doesn't work with plex.

So basically my question is: what should I get if all I want to do is stream plex onto my tv? (I don't care about web browsing or apps or anything else) Find an ST600 if I can and install the beta firmware? Wait and get an SP820? Use a different product altogether?

Thanks all.

I would get the SP820. If not it then a Roku. I would not get an st600 at this point if you are interested in Plex. The SP820 really seems interesting. The sp520 doesn't have Plex.

Philip

#3 strongbad789

strongbad789

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

I would get the SP820. If not it then a Roku. I would not get an st600 at this point if you are interested in Plex. The SP820 really seems interesting. The sp520 doesn't have Plex.

Philip

Thanks for the help. I actually ended up getting an st600 just because you can find them around for pretty cheap now ($60). It does pretty much what I wanted, so I'm happy. I only found a very few movies that don't play in the medialink client, and most of them play using DLNA (only one didn't play using either). I didn't expect much other than basic functionality, and it delivers that at least. I do think that it's strange that you can fast forward and rewind using DLNA but not using medialink...sort of annoying.

#4 jwshale

jwshale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

I got an SP820 a couple of weeks ago (UK). Unfortunately the interface is fairly clunky, and key items such as iPlayer are not there yet (pretty irritating given that it's advertised as having iPlayer on several sites).

Plex is also not that great at the moment, unless I'm missing something. Seems a little buggy and slow to load some media. Browsing media is pretty poor too, having to go through what is essentially a folder view. I'm pretty disappointed - I bought the unit so that my PC could be saved from sitting under the TV, but Plex was *much* better on the PC...

#5 pmcd

pmcd

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

I got an SP820 a couple of weeks ago (UK). Unfortunately the interface is fairly clunky, and key items such as iPlayer are not there yet (pretty irritating given that it's advertised as having iPlayer on several sites).

Plex is also not that great at the moment, unless I'm missing something. Seems a little buggy and slow to load some media. Browsing media is pretty poor too, having to go through what is essentially a folder view. I'm pretty disappointed - I bought the unit so that my PC could be saved from sitting under the TV, but Plex was *much* better on the PC...

Hmm this is disappointing. Is Plex on the SP820 similar to MediaLink on the LG Smart TV's? Does the SP820 give you direct access to smb shares or do you have to use DLNA or Plex?

philip

#6 jwshale

jwshale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Hmm this is disappointing. Is Plex on the SP820 similar to MediaLink on the LG Smart TV's? Does the SP820 give you direct access to smb shares or do you have to use DLNA or Plex?

philip

Yes, I'm disappointed. iPlayer is apparently coming soon and was (supposedly) pulled because BBC are making updates before the Olympics. I'm hoping that any update will also contain improvements to Plex etc.

I haven't used a standard LG Smart TV, but I guess it's similar. The media sharing section now appears to be called "SmartShare". Within that I see my media twice - once labelled "Plex" and once with a MS Windows symbol (possibly picking up the DLNA server and assuming it's coming from Windows?). There doesn't seem to be any direct access, but I can check tonight to make sure...

John

#7 pmcd

pmcd

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:31 AM

Yes, I'm disappointed. iPlayer is apparently coming soon and was (supposedly) pulled because BBC are making updates before the Olympics. I'm hoping that any update will also contain improvements to Plex etc.

I haven't used a standard LG Smart TV, but I guess it's similar. The media sharing section now appears to be called "SmartShare". Within that I see my media twice - once labelled "Plex" and once with a MS Windows symbol (possibly picking up the DLNA server and assuming it's coming from Windows?). There doesn't seem to be any direct access, but I can check tonight to make sure...

John

Did you manage to find any direct access? Even the ST600 had that. Having just Plex and DLNA would be odd. The specs for the sp820 over here now make no mention of Plex or MediaLink. Just DLNA and some Nero sw. Hopefully it's just a misprint.

philip

#8 CanuckHT

CanuckHT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

My understanding from reading many reviews of the 2012 tv lineup is that Media Link is now a downloadable app. In a few review pictures it can be seen in the apps bar. Hopefully it's the same for the sp820.

#9 jwshale

jwshale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

I think the software on the SP820 is a little behind the 2012 TV software in terms of features and available apps etc.

Everything for accessing remote media on the SP820 is under the heading "SmartShare" now, with no sign of MediaLink in the app store (or anywhere else as far as I can see). I can access the PLEX/DLNA-type servers, but I'm not sure about directly browsing remote shares - I will have a look tonight.

John

#10 pmcd

pmcd

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

I think the software on the SP820 is a little behind the 2012 TV software in terms of features and available apps etc.

Everything for accessing remote media on the SP820 is under the heading "SmartShare" now, with no sign of MediaLink in the app store (or anywhere else as far as I can see). I can access the PLEX/DLNA-type servers, but I'm not sure about directly browsing remote shares - I will have a look tonight.

John

Hmm, does that mean you basically just get DLNA and Plex's version of DLNA? That would seem to miss the whole point of having Plex. Certainly, without Plex this is going to be far less appealing to people. That would be a deal breaker for me at least.

philip

#11 jwshale

jwshale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

Hmm, does that mean you basically just get DLNA and Plex's version of DLNA? That would seem to miss the whole point of having Plex. Certainly, without Plex this is going to be far less appealing to people. That would be a deal breaker for me at least.

philip

If you can put up with my appalling narration, then I have just uploaded a video showing the SmartShare stuff on the SP820: Click Here

#12 pmcd

pmcd

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

If you can put up with my appalling narration, then I have just uploaded a video showing the SmartShare stuff on the SP820: Click Here

Thank you for this. I am sorry to say that the SP820 appears to be terrible. Are you sure you aren't missing something? Perhaps MediaLink is hiding elsewhere? Geez, my ST600 is better from that perspective, as is my LG 2011 Smart TV.

Philip

#13 jwshale

jwshale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Thank you for this. I am sorry to say that the SP820 appears to be terrible. Are you sure you aren't missing something? Perhaps MediaLink is hiding elsewhere? Geez, my ST600 is better from that perspective, as is my LG 2011 Smart TV.

Philip

I have searched pretty hard for MediaLink. Must admit it has been a waste of money... at least it might help others avoid this purchase! I was really hoping for something similar to the previous LG devices, but with a more powerful chip and thus (better) playback of 1080p etc. Sadly not.

Not sure what device to replace it with now.

#14 kabongo@gmx.de

kabongo@gmx.de

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:41 AM

jwshale:

I have a little questions, iam coming from germany and here i can buy LG SP820 for 159 Euro .

What for a Flash Version supports LG SP820 on the browser (10.8 or 11.0) ??
Is the LG SP820 more better as LG ST600 ??
Played SP820 DTS Audio ??
What about Apps, is there (on SP820) more apps as on ST600 ??
Is the performance bette (faster) as on ST600 ??
Played SP820 mkv, vob , video ts, dvd iso files from usb and from Plex Medialink ??

thx for you answers

greetz kab

#15 pmcd

pmcd

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

I have searched pretty hard for MediaLink. Must admit it has been a waste of money... at least it might help others avoid this purchase! I was really hoping for something similar to the previous LG devices, but with a more powerful chip and thus (better) playback of 1080p etc. Sadly not.

Not sure what device to replace it with now.

Well it looks like this product will finally arrive here in a week. Have you managed to find Plex/MediaLink on it? Perhaps you have to download it as an app? It just can't be that LG would put out a DLNA only client player, other than the SP520 which seems to have had a very muted response here. The reviews are quite bad. The SP820 is supposed to be their flagship player.

Sorry to be coming back to this, but I keep thinking that Plex is hiding in some elusive place you have yet to find. Could you please have one last look? If it's not there then either a Roku or Sony GTV player might fit the bill. Both Plex clients work well on those.

philip

#16 jwshale

jwshale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

Well it looks like this product will finally arrive here in a week. Have you managed to find Plex/MediaLink on it? Perhaps you have to download it as an app? It just can't be that LG would put out a DLNA only client player, other than the SP520 which seems to have had a very muted response here. The reviews are quite bad. The SP820 is supposed to be their flagship player.

Sorry to be coming back to this, but I keep thinking that Plex is hiding in some elusive place you have yet to find. Could you please have one last look? If it's not there then either a Roku or Sony GTV player might fit the bill. Both Plex clients work well on those.

philip

Hi Philip,

I have checked again, but to no avail. There really isn't any sign of Plex/MediaLink (or even the promised iPlayer). Can't find them in app store or anywhere, and there haven't been any firmware updates either.

I would definitely avoid the player for the time being. It's pretty much unused for me now, and I'm thinking of reinstating an ageing laptop until things are sorted/I have enough money to buy something else.

Sorry not to bring you better news!

John

#17 CanuckHT

CanuckHT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

Hi Philip,

I have checked again, but to no avail. There really isn't any sign of Plex/MediaLink (or even the promised iPlayer). Can't find them in app store or anywhere, and there haven't been any firmware updates either.

I would definitely avoid the player for the time being. It's pretty much unused for me now, and I'm thinking of reinstating an ageing laptop until things are sorted/I have enough money to buy something else.

Sorry not to bring you better news!

John

Have you contacted LG UK? I would start a thread at AVForums. LG UK's employee "Dave" seems to be pretty active there.

#18 jwshale

jwshale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

Have you contacted LG UK? I would start a thread at AVForums. LG UK's employee "Dave" seems to be pretty active there.

I have contacted them a couple of times, but nothing conclusive. They have claimed that the lack of iPlayer is a BBC issue, but then it's part of other LG devices. As for Plex, I didn't manage to get any info. I have my concerns logged "on file", but I'm not optimistic that this will help!

I'll check out AVForums.

#19 pmcd

pmcd

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:00 AM

John,

I posted a thread there asking if Plex was on the SP820. No response unfortunately. The unfortunate result was I bought a Sony NSZ-GS7 GTV media box which has an excellent Plex client, better than my Rokus. Of course, it is quite a bit more expensive than the Roku but it is in line with the SP820.

For now, if you want a Plex media client that would be the one to get in my opinion.

Philip

#20 jwshale

jwshale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

John,

I posted a thread there asking if Plex was on the SP820. No response unfortunately. The unfortunate result was I bought a Sony NSZ-GS7 GTV media box which has an excellent Plex client, better than my Rokus. Of course, it is quite a bit more expensive than the Roku but it is in line with the SP820.

For now, if you want a Plex media client that would be the one to get in my opinion.

Philip

Hi Philip,

Thanks for the update. Good to hear that the Sony box works well, I might consider getting that (cash permitting!).

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users