Photo

Soft Subtitles - Still 'Borderless yellow' ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 samukas

samukas

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:21 AM

Hey everyone! Out of curiosity, since it's been a while since my Roku died, I never had a change to see both the new plex channel versions and roku firmwares.

Are SRT soft subtitles still rendered by Roku as yellow and pretty much borderless, making them pretty hard to read?

I complained about it a lot on the forums, and to the Roku guys via PM, but I'm thinking they never solved it, I'm just curious :)

Current Plex Setup:
1x Synology DS3612xs

1x iPad 3rd Generation 16GB

1x Roku LT

1x PlexBMC Client

#2 DrowningApe

DrowningApe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

Yes. It's the default on Roku 2.

#3 samukas

samukas

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the answer. They really do not listen to requests lol

Current Plex Setup:
1x Synology DS3612xs

1x Roku LT

1x PlexBMC Client

#4 samukas

samukas

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Hum... I just noticed in the Roku Forums (and in the "simplevideoplayer" sample in the SDK) that they added an attribute to change the subtitle color. Unfortunately, still borderless, but...

http://forums.roku.c...lecolor#p350385

Could this make it into a future version of the channel? I think Red, Green, Purple and all those weird colors are not needed, but at least the chance to choose between Yellow and White would be appreciated.

Current Plex Setup:
1x Synology DS3612xs

1x Roku LT

1x PlexBMC Client

#5 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3333 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

Excellent! I secretly worry that borderless white is more likely to be hard to read than borderless yellow. But I'll file an issue regardless and we can play with it.

#6 samukas

samukas

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

I was quite surprised when I saw that, I tried it briefly with the samplevideo but couldn't come to any conclusion regarding Yellow vs White. It would be nice to have the option though :)

The border is necessary but I've pretty much given up bugging the Roku support guys about it, they just don't care.

Other options such as font size and vertical position would be nice as well, but just the border would make me a happy "roku-er". It is a pain to watch Netflix w/Subtitles on the Roku compared to the AppleTV, for example. If I were able to capture the HDMI-Out signal that comes out of both, I'd definitely send them some embarassing pictures.

Current Plex Setup:
1x Synology DS3612xs

1x Roku LT

1x PlexBMC Client

#7 samukas

samukas

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

Hum... interesting. It seems that Dramafever has a version of their channel with improved subtitles with a thick border.

I'm not familiar with their channel or if it ever got out of beta, but either they're using undocumented code, or the only solution I'm seeing is that they 'coded' their own player, kind of like Hulu+ and Crackle did?

Current Plex Setup:
1x Synology DS3612xs

1x Roku LT

1x PlexBMC Client

#8 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3333 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

Based on a very quick reading, I actually would have guessed that they burned the subtitles into the video with the border. It's hard to be sure though without actually having the channel.

#9 samukas

samukas

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

I also thought of that, but because of this..

In the future, there will be support for you to change color, size, and language of the subtitles.

...figured that they were building their own player.

Current Plex Setup:
1x Synology DS3612xs

1x Roku LT

1x PlexBMC Client

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users