• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wiseadam

wiseadam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

Is there any benefit to using a fast 4Gb or larger MicroSD card with streaming from Plex? Not sure how the Roku 2 hands out space or how the local memory size plays a factor when streaming. Does it buffer the whole video file locally or does it just have a small cache of a little of what's it's played and about to play?

Any benefits to it at all? Is there a way to check the amount of on board memory being used? Roku states that it's for extra storage of games and channels, but they make it out like if it hits its inboard memory cap it just starts removing the oldest info to then download it again when needed.

If there is no current benefit to using it, could there be an update later on that will utilize the sd storage to say if it's faster or large enough to cache more or all of the video locally? I have found the size limit is 32Gb.

Thanks

#2 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3330 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:45 AM

I don't know anything that isn't in the Roku blog post, but I don't think it makes any difference. The channel certainly doesn't have direct access to the MicroSD card, and as far as I know the Roku will never use the memory on the card to do something like increase the video buffer.

#3 wiseadam

wiseadam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

Maybe it's just a placebo effect, but it seems to be so much smoother now with a class 4 8GB MicroSD card. I have been streaming remote video's from my Plex server to the Roku2 and before I had buffering issues with almost every movie I watched, now I think I had it stop to buffer once out of the last 3 I've watched.

I will be doing more testing with local and remote streaming, as well as with a class 10 8GB MicroSD card for the fun of it. I will also factor in network speed, and use the same video file with and without the SD card(s).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users