• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 plex@spitzer.org

plex@spitzer.org

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

I have found a number of sites explaining how to stream directly from plex to my phone. Unfortunately they all show a tab in the PMS that had a username/password section. I can cannot seem to find that in my PMS. It appears to have been removed.

How to I re-enable that? I have no interest in using myplex.

thanks!

#2 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3332 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

Do you mind explaining why you have no interest in using myPlex? myPlex is definitely the easiest way to access your server remotely, and there are already some features that are myPlex-only (e.g. authenticated remote access, queue), and more myPlex-only features will continue to be added. myPlex just facilitates the connection between your PMS and client, it's not storing any of your personal data.

There is no way to reenable username/password authentication, the only authenticated remote access that's supported in 0.9.5+ is myPlex. So as far as I know, you have two options for setting up remote access without myPlex.

1) Downgrade to 0.9.3.4. Never apply another update, never get any fixes.

2) Disable remote security by setting a DWORD in the registry for disableRemoteSecurity to 0 (preferences are in the registry under HKCU\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server). Then set up the port forward manually on your router, and optionally set up a dynamic DNS service. Then configure your phone by manually adding a connection to the public address of your PMS.

#3 plex@spitzer.org

plex@spitzer.org

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

Do you mind explaining why you have no interest in using myPlex? myPlex is definitely the easiest way to access your server remotely, and there are already some features that are myPlex-only (e.g. authenticated remote access, queue), and more myPlex-only features will continue to be added. myPlex just facilitates the connection between your PMS and client, it's not storing any of your personal data.

There is no way to reenable username/password authentication, the only authenticated remote access that's supported in 0.9.5+ is myPlex. So as far as I know, you have two options for setting up remote access without myPlex.

1) Downgrade to 0.9.3.4. Never apply another update, never get any fixes.

2) Disable remote security by setting a DWORD in the registry for disableRemoteSecurity to 0 (preferences are in the registry under HKCU\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server). Then set up the port forward manually on your router, and optionally set up a dynamic DNS service. Then configure your phone by manually adding a connection to the public address of your PMS.

I mentioned it in another forum group (http://forums.plexap...ex-vs-mpaariaa/) but here it is again:

---- CUT ----

I hope I am not coming off as a tinfoil hat wearer but...

Now that the MPAA/RIAA and the entire US government have gone insane, I am not sure how good the idea of "myplex" is.

Although I only have content that I have burned directly from my DVDs, I am concerned that PLEX will get served a warrant to get a list of everyone who streams media with PLEX. The MPAA/RIAA will then personally go to everyones house and try to sue them for 75 Trillion dollars (google: MPAA vs LimeWire) because they made legal copies of their own content.

How can I stream directly from my plex server to my phone without using myplex?

---- CUT ----

If you have any input into the post above, you might want to answer it in the other posting, as there are a bunch of other people already discussing it.

Thanks!

#4 convas

convas

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1041 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

You could VPN in to your home network and access Plex without myPlex but unless you have a fixed IP address you would need dynamic DNS to make it workable.

#5 plex@spitzer.org

plex@spitzer.org

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

You could VPN in to your home network and access Plex without myPlex but unless you have a fixed IP address you would need dynamic DNS to make it workable.

yeah, that is what I currently do, but it just seems silly when it USED to work directly...

#6 wineaux

wineaux

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

I'd be interested in this without the hassle of a setting up a VPN because I am forced to Double NAT since AT&T's uVerse only offers a 2-Wire router with a lousy 802.11g wireless connection, so I have to piggyback off a secondary router with dual band 802.11n. Unless of course someone knows of a way to utilize my dual band router (Netgear WNDR6700) without having to deal with this darned double NAT business. Hints, help, walk-thru's, and 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows and paragraph on the back of each one are all greatly appreciated! :D

#7 bugger

bugger

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Any news on this? I certainly dont wanna use MyPlex, and let the devs have full access to my stuff. If anyone figure out a way to enable username/password again please share.

#8 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3332 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Any news on this? I certainly dont wanna use MyPlex, and let the devs have full access to my stuff. If anyone figure out a way to enable username/password again please share.

I know some people just don't want to use myPlex, end of story. So if this is a nonstarter then just say so and I'll drop it. But using myPlex doesn't "let the devs have full access" to anything. The content is all still on your Plex Media Server. You decide who else has access to it, and you're more than welcome to give nobody else access to anything. Then only tokens associated with your account will be able to access the content on your PMS. myPlex doesn't even know what content is on your Plex Media Server, it just facilitates the connections.

#9 convas

convas

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1041 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

myPlex is the direction PLEX is heading, I don't think username/password will be anabled again but as I said above if you don't want to use myplex just setup a VPN and use that, the easiest way would be to get a router with built in VPN server and a dynamic dsn service (so you don't have to remember your ip address) and you are good to go.

#10 hipnetic

hipnetic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Or you could use something like AirVideo (iOS). No metadata, though. Similar software for Android probably exists. I don't think you specified what kind of phone you have.

#11 rroot

rroot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

I'd be interested in this without the hassle of a setting up a VPN because I am forced to Double NAT since AT&T's uVerse only offers a 2-Wire router with a lousy 802.11g wireless connection, so I have to piggyback off a secondary router with dual band 802.11n. Unless of course someone knows of a way to utilize my dual band router (Netgear WNDR6700) without having to deal with this darned double NAT business. Hints, help, walk-thru's, and 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows and paragraph on the back of each one are all greatly appreciated! :D

What you need to have done is put the AT&T device into the Bridge Mode (or called pass through mode)
Lacking the model # I could not do a good google search for you.
I did come up with a link which talks about doing it on a 2Wire 3800HGV-B router.
Also remember After you set the device to use a router behind it, to Disable all firewall and security. Let your good router take care of that.

http://scottworldblo...irport-extreme/

This one talks about disabling the wireless (don't forget that)
http://www.sbbala.com/uverse/pg3.html

Just do a google search on "bridge mode for (your router model)"

Should be relatively easy to do

#12 Canoncola

Canoncola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

VPN is going to slow your stream speed because of encryption and other settings in place by default
Not saying it's not possible, just not ideal nor necessary for streaming a movie

Forward port 80 "start port" in your router to the IP address of the PMS on port 32400 "end port"
To connect (from anywhere in the world) use "youripaddress/web" or "yourdns/web" in chrome or Firefox... Maybe internet explorer (haven't tried it yet) safari works on my iPhone ;)

Fwd all traffic from your gateway/modem (bypass mode) if you have a modem and a router like the user above... @Wineaux

Thank you @rroot for your post!

Let me know if this helped anyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users