Photo

New install - no channels - how to troubleshoot?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 csjjpm

csjjpm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

Hi,
I have a Windows 7 systems with the latest PMS installed. I have configured a 'Library Section' for local videos and I've set the preference 'disable capability checking'. I then have a Windows 7 client with PMC installed and I connect to my PMS and can see the local server videos. I set the preferences on PMC with the manual IP of the PMS just in case.
However, I cannot see any Channels. The Channel directory is empty, no a single item. If I select any option is says 'Plex media server - waiting for response' and then nothing happens. I have read that you are supposed to install plugins via the client but I cannot see the option.
Would some kind person please direct me to instructions on how to install channels/plugins.
Thanks
Paul

#2 kvarnbryggan

kvarnbryggan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

I have the same problem, installed on three Windows 7 machines. I do see my local library, but I can not see any plugins under Channel Directory.

///Peter!

#3 Mikedm139

Mikedm139

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

An empty Channel Directory usually points to corrupted support files. To fix it, open the plugins folder in Plex's Application Support folder. On Windows, you should have the option to open it directly by right-clicking on the Plex icon in the system tray. Shut down PMS then delete the System.bundle and Framework.bundle from the plugins folder. Restart PMS the support files will automatically be recreated and your Channel Directory should populate properly.

If you are having trouble with one or more channels, check here first.
If you are asked to provide logs, which you will be if you are having plugin problems, the help center has details on where to find them.
***************************************************************************************************************************************
Check out unofficial channels in the
UnSupported AppStore
Follow my efforts on Github and Twitter
Donate

#4 pixshifter

pixshifter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

Same problem here. Tried the previously mentioned deleting of the Framework and System bundle files. No joy. Did that work for anyone else? Any other suggestions?

#5 pixshifter

pixshifter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

OK. Apparently not the same problem. It turns out that the first two plugins I installed are, I think, having their own problems. The third and fourth plugins did finally show up. First two still no show.

#6 Ragga068

Ragga068

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

An empty Channel Directory usually points to corrupted support files. To fix it, open the plugins folder in Plex's Application Support folder. On Windows, you should have the option to open it directly by right-clicking on the Plex icon in the system tray. Shut down PMS then delete the System.bundle and Framework.bundle from the plugins folder. Restart PMS the support files will automatically be recreated and your Channel Directory should populate properly.

I experienced an empty channel directory at first, but this fix cured it. Thanks for the help. Cheers.

#7 Mikedm139

Mikedm139

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

I experienced an empty channel directory at first, but this fix cured it. Thanks for the help. Cheers.

Glad it worked for you. Enjoy!

If you are asked to provide logs, which you will be if you are having plugin problems, the help center has details on where to find them.
***************************************************************************************************************************************
UnSupported AppStore
Donate

#8 pixshifter

pixshifter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

Some plugins never did show up after deleting the frameworks. However, I switched from the Windows version of the server to the Mac version of the server and the plugins do show up now. Overall, I'm much happier with the Mac version of the server.

#9 Mikedm139

Mikedm139

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

Some plugins never did show up after deleting the frameworks. However, I switched from the Windows version of the server to the Mac version of the server and the plugins do show up now. Overall, I'm much happier with the Mac version of the server.

Were the ones that never showed up downloaded directly from the Channel Directory? Do you remember which ones they were? That's something that should be looked into if they're consistently failing to show up on Windows PMSs but not OSX ones.

UnSupported AppStore
Donate

#10 exssnelt

exssnelt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

Worked for me too.

#11 pixshifter

pixshifter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:51 AM

Were the ones that never showed up downloaded directly from the Channel Directory? Do you remember which ones they were? That's something that should be looked into if they're consistently failing to show up on Windows PMSs but not OSX ones.

Everything thus far has been done through the Channel Directory (as I am a new convert from XBMC and want to keep things standard until I'm sure I'm all good.) The plugins were the Spotify plugin and the TiVo plugin. They still don't work, but at least they show up now. (I believe there are some separate threads for each of these plugins, but I have not explored them yet. ) One other piece of pertinent information is that I was running PMS under Windows 8 Retail Preview, so unless there are others experiencing this, my case may be misleading.

#12 Mikedm139

Mikedm139

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:12 AM

Everything thus far has been done through the Channel Directory (as I am a new convert from XBMC and want to keep things standard until I'm sure I'm all good.) The plugins were the Spotify plugin and the TiVo plugin. They still don't work, but at least they show up now. (I believe there are some separate threads for each of these plugins, but I have not explored them yet. ) One other piece of pertinent information is that I was running PMS under Windows 8 Retail Preview, so unless there are others experiencing this, my case may be misleading.

Thanks for the details. I believe you're right that the Spotify and TiVo plugins have some extensive discussion already going. I hadn't even heard rumblings of a Win 8 preview yet. Show's how much attention I pay to the M$ world :P

UnSupported AppStore
Donate

#13 mperloe

mperloe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:10 AM

Do I see channels such as Spotify on the Win7 Server side or the Android App on my Google TV?
When looking in the Plex Media Server Plug In directory, Spotify is not listed. Should it be present?

#14 Mikedm139

Mikedm139

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:31 AM

You should see installed channels on the client, in your case the GTV. Channels can be installed through the "Channel Directory" on the client. I believe you should be able to find and install the Spoticy channel from there.

UnSupported AppStore
Donate

#15 mperloe

mperloe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

Thanks Mike. I played around with this on my Android phone. Installed the NPR app, but it plays some of my iTunes and not the NPR audio I select. iTunes works fine. When I click on any of the video plug ins, MSNBC in particular, I get the audio, but no video on that or other aps. I am using Droid Bionic Android 2.34. I'll check in with the Google TV app today.

#16 mromine

mromine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

New Plex user here an I too am having issues with the Plex Channel Directory on my setup. Here is my specs:

Synology DS712+ NAS. DSM v4.0-2228
Plex Media Server (running on NAS) v0.9.6.3-4466fb5

It picks up the local (NAS) content and plays it just fine to my Android, DLNA TV's and Roku channel nowhere do I see a Plex Channel Directory. I've followed the instructions (deleting the framework and system bundle directories) but I still don't see anywhere on the Plex Media Manager page of my NAS where I can add Plex Channels. Maybe it's just not supported on the Synology NASs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

#17 Mikedm139

Mikedm139

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

New Plex user here an I too am having issues with the Plex Channel Directory on my setup. Here is my specs:

Synology DS712+ NAS. DSM v4.0-2228
Plex Media Server (running on NAS) v0.9.6.3-4466fb5

It picks up the local (NAS) content and plays it just fine to my Android, DLNA TV's and Roku channel nowhere do I see a Plex Channel Directory. I've followed the instructions (deleting the framework and system bundle directories) but I still don't see anywhere on the Plex Media Manager page of my NAS where I can add Plex Channels. Maybe it's just not supported on the Synology NASs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The Channel Directory appears in the Plex client not in the media manager. DLNA clients probably don't have access to it (I don't know). I also don't have an Android client or Roku box, so I'm not sure how (if at all) the channel directory is accessible via those clients. The best (surefire) approach is to download and install the Plex Media Center (Desktop client) on a computer on your local network. You can then access the channel directory on that client and install channels which all your clients will have access to (assuming they are compatible).

UnSupported AppStore
Donate

#18 Joe Cypherpunk

Joe Cypherpunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:31 AM

The Channel Directory appears in the Plex client not in the media manager. DLNA clients probably don't have access to it (I don't know). I also don't have an Android client or Roku box, so I'm not sure how (if at all) the channel directory is accessible via those clients. The best (surefire) approach is to download and install the Plex Media Center (Desktop client) on a computer on your local network. You can then access the channel directory on that client and install channels which all your clients will have access to (assuming they are compatible).

Channel Directory is totally empty. zip. zero. nada. Mine is a brand new plex install on a brand new os x.

#19 Mikedm139

Mikedm139

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:20 AM

Channel Directory is totally empty. zip. zero. nada. Mine is a brand new plex install on a brand new os x.

UnSupported AppStore
Donate

#20 pixshifter

pixshifter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:18 AM

One thing that may be confusing some people (and I apologize if this is not the case), but when you scroll the main menu to Channel Directory, you will not see anything in the large pane on the right. Ever. You must hit enter to then see the Channel Directory subcategories. You then enter one of the subcats and pick some channels to add. Once that is done, new main menu entries will appear, such as Video Channels, Music Channels, etc., depending on what channels you have added. I know this confused me at first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users