• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 rph105

rph105

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

I've got three hardrives in my Mac Pro and am running out of bays, so I've started to look to the future and think about a NAS solution. Now, I've been looking at the Drobo FS, and it seems to tick all the boxes, I was just curious if anyone else is using it as part of their Plex setup. Are there better NAS solutions out there?

I figured I could plug the FS into my Airport Extreme. Is it as simple as that? Are there any problems?

#2 ahughes03

ahughes03

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

I've got three hardrives in my Mac Pro and am running out of bays, so I've started to look to the future and think about a NAS solution. Now, I've been looking at the Drobo FS, and it seems to tick all the boxes, I was just curious if anyone else is using it as part of their Plex setup. Are there better NAS solutions out there?

I figured I could plug the FS into my Airport Extreme. Is it as simple as that? Are there any problems?

Hey rph- I recently switched to an NAS system, and really like it. After weighing different possibilities, I ended up getting the Synology DS411j. It has 4 bays (as opposed to 5 bays in the Drobo FS), but Synology has a wide range of storage solutions ranging from 2 bay to crazy-more-than-a-user-would-ever-need bays!

Here are some of the reasons I went with Synology (as opposed to Drobo, which I looked at very seriously, QNAP, ReadyNAS, or an unraid solution):
1) Drobo uses a proprietary "raid-like" system. If your NAS goes to crap, there will be no way to reconstruct the data unless you go through Drobo (vs. other products that use standard RAID structures that can be analyzed and rebuilt in a number of ways).
2) Synology has a very active forum board (which is great for troubleshooting).
3) Synology's web-GUI is very "mac-like."
4) Synology was $90 cheaper than QNAP for a similar product (well, sort of similar, as the QNAP has more ram, would allow a higher total number of users, and has an extra rj-45 port, if I remember correctly).
5) Synology will allow you to register a free domain name that will point to your IP address (nice feature if you access your NAS from places outside your LAN).

Drobos have been known to be a little slow, but that may be when utilized in a DAS (Direct Attached) config as opposed to NAS.

Regardless, I'd have to say that NAS is the way to go, as it adds a level of protection to your data, and a level of availability as well (with an NAS, you can access data from anywhere in the world that has an internet connection, if set-up correctly)!

Wish you the best in your move to NAS awesomeness!

Andy

#3 rph105

rph105

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Hey rph- I recently switched to an NAS system, and really like it. After weighing different possibilities, I ended up getting the Synology DS411j. It has 4 bays (as opposed to 5 bays in the Drobo FS), but Synology has a wide range of storage solutions ranging from 2 bay to crazy-more-than-a-user-would-ever-need bays!

Here are some of the reasons I went with Synology (as opposed to Drobo, which I looked at very seriously, QNAP, ReadyNAS, or an unraid solution):
1) Drobo uses a proprietary "raid-like" system. If your NAS goes to crap, there will be no way to reconstruct the data unless you go through Drobo (vs. other products that use standard RAID structures that can be analyzed and rebuilt in a number of ways).
2) Synology has a very active forum board (which is great for troubleshooting).
3) Synology's web-GUI is very "mac-like."
4) Synology was $90 cheaper than QNAP for a similar product (well, sort of similar, as the QNAP has more ram, would allow a higher total number of users, and has an extra rj-45 port, if I remember correctly).
5) Synology will allow you to register a free domain name that will point to your IP address (nice feature if you access your NAS from places outside your LAN).

Drobos have been known to be a little slow, but that may be when utilized in a DAS (Direct Attached) config as opposed to NAS.

Regardless, I'd have to say that NAS is the way to go, as it adds a level of protection to your data, and a level of availability as well (with an NAS, you can access data from anywhere in the world that has an internet connection, if set-up correctly)!

Wish you the best in your move to NAS awesomeness!

Andy

Thanks Andy. I've started to have a look at some of Synology's products - they look awesome. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is RAID? And how does it benefit me?

#4 rsava

rsava

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

Thanks Andy. I've started to have a look at some of Synology's products - they look awesome. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is RAID? And how does it benefit me?

In simple terms, RAID is a way to have redundancy on your drives so you don't lose data in case one fails or increase the performance of the drive set.

It is more complicated than that, there are several different "levels" of RAID.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

As someone who has lost about 5TB of data because I didn't setup my RAID drives correctly, I now have 90 % of my data on RAID 1 and moving to 100% soon.

R Sava
Complaining about the latest cutting edge version of the FREE Plex software like it is the end of your world is THE definition of a First World Problem. There are people in the world who don't have clean drinking water and it is "unacceptable" that your movie artwork is messed up???

Plex Media Server Version 0.9.9.10, Plex Home Theater 1.0.11 (currently using the Metropolis Skin for Plex Home Theater by Maverick214) all running on a 2011 Mac Mini MC815LL/A /8GB RAM

2 Roku 2XS locally; a Roku 3 locally and a Roku 3 remotely; 3 Chromecasts; and now an Amazon FireTV. The options just keep on coming!

And, according to BarryGSumpter, I'm "Just another crotchety old fart", a badge I will wear with pride!

Links to common questions: How to name your "stuff"; How to get your log files (needed for just about ANY troubleshooting)

#5 Murderous Moppet

Murderous Moppet

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

I personally can't stand Drobo, but they have new thunderbolt options that may be better. I have always found drobos to be slow and buggy. I have a synology DS411 and it works fantastic for me. at the end of the month synology should be releasing new hardware, but it may be enterprise level.

As for the RAID; I wouldnt be devastated if my media were lost since most of it i have on DVD or iTunes so I use a RAID 5 which can tolerate the loss of a single drive before data is destroyed. Just remember that even a fault tolerant RAID is NOT a way to ensure you wont loose your data. If you really really care use a RAID 1 or use another drive/nas to backup to. synology has pretty decent software that can backup any subset of data on you nas to another drive or network device.

#6 mrklaw

mrklaw

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

If you use mac/pc clients for playback, and don't need transcoding, you could consider a NAS that you can install plex server on.

#7 digiot

digiot

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:44 PM

If you are already using the MacPro as your PMS why not just add a PCIe-eSATA controller and attach an eSATA RAID enclosure! It will cost a fraction of the price for a decent NAS and will get Data to your MacPro faster then any NAS solution. Also depending of the vintage of your MacPro there might already be some open SATA connectors on your MotherBoard. Then all you need is a SATA to eSATA cable!

2011 MacMini Base Model 8G RAM OSXServer 10.9/PlexPMS/PlexHomeTheatre
OWC 4-Bay RAID 12TB (connected with eSATA!)
Sony Bravia KDL46NX720 (DNLA-Plex)
Sony PS3 (DNLA-Plex)
2011 15"MBPro, 2009 27" iMac i7,2006 15"MBP C2D
iPhone3GS,iPhone4,iPhone4S,iPhone5
iPad 16G (old), iPad 32G LTE(new)
ATV2 (Plex)
ATV3 (PlexConnect!)

Raspberry-Pi ModelB 512 (RasPlex)

Roku 2XS

#8 Pioneer

Pioneer

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

Just seen that Drobo has announced a Thunderbolt version coming out. Hopefully should improve the pitiful speed it operates at which was the main reason why I dumped DroboFS and went and got a Synology DS1511+ tanked with 15TB (now almost full!) :)

#9 pappabear

pappabear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hi

I went for the synology ds412+ with 6TB in raid 5, I have also PMS running on the NAS. I was a little bit sceptical, but suprised about how well it runs.
The UI of the synology is very good and easy. At the moment the biggest problem are the plex clients, non are as complete as a Mac mini with plex client. But even that has its problems lately.. :(

Server: Mac mini (2012) i7 2.6Ghz, 120GB SSD, 16GB, (with client)
Clients: iMac 21" i3,ATV2, Macbook pro, Ipad 1, iPhone 4s, Rasplex and Win.laptop
Content: 6TB Synology DS412+ (raid5)

#10 Kel5150

Kel5150

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

For what it's worth, I have a Drobo FS that I play a lot of stuff off of and it works great. Granted, it isn't the fastest solution available but it honestly works just fine for playing media through Plex. I also have a Mediasonic external RAID box connected to my Mac mini with FW800 and I really can't tell much of a difference between the two in terms of performance of playback. They both work great. The nice thing about the Drobo is you can use any hard drive you like and they don't all have to be the same. Plus, you can expand capacity as needed.

#11 dannywsu

dannywsu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

If you use mac/pc clients for playback, and don't need transcoding, you could consider a NAS that you can install plex server on.

Do NAS drives not provide transcoding or does it require A. a better processor or B. a top-of-the-line NAS?

Also, if I was looking at a basic Synology NAS for a home user and my only interest was a Plex Server and storage for TV shows and movies, with a reasonable price, what would be the best NAS to buy?

PMS/PHT | MacMini 2011 i5 8gb Ram    |    Clients | Roku 3, Roku 2 XD    |    Mobile Clients 2 x iPhone 5, 2 x iPad Mini w/ Retina

TV | Sharp 60LE847    |    ReceiverOnkyo TX-NR616    |    RemoteLogitech Harmony 700    |    AutomationSickBeard, CouchPotato, SabNZBD+

all-thin-banner@2x.jpg

#12 adriandb

adriandb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:46 AM

If anything the direct attached should perform better than the NAS versions.

I have a 4 bay Drobo S and have a mixed opinion. It has been rock solid, is currently housing a mix of 3tb and 2tb drives, has a good dashboard and has been fairly hands off. Of course you do have to continually upgrade drives if you're like me, but that process is easy to perform. The downside is that the read/write speeds are slow compared to single drive solutions or other RAID solutions. This isn't a huge problem if you're simply using it to provide media to a client or two, but if you are also doing other read/write intensive operations it may be an issue. The other time this is apparent is when swapping out a drive. The last time I removed a 2tb drive and replaced it with a 3tb drive it was more then 48 hours before the data had completely replicated. During this time you can still read and write to the drive, but your data is at risk.

I've never seen the need for a NAS as this is directly attached to my entertainment center mac mini and shared via the OS on my network.

they have new thunderbolt options that may be better.

I wonder about this because the Drobo I have can't ever come close to saturating the FW800 connection I have it on. What is the point of faster transport medium if the bits will be streamed at 50MB/sec.

Do NAS drives not provide transcoding or does it require A. a better processor or B. a top-of-the-line NAS?

Transcoding requires CPU power that many NAS dont have. You can add beefier processors, but that drives up cost.

2012 Mac Mini - 2.5GHz dual-core i5 - 8gb RAM - Mac OS 10.8 | Sans Digital TowerRAID TR5UT+B RAID 5 (5 x 3TB) | Onkyo TX-SR608 | LG 55" LED LCD (55LW5600)

#13 digiot

digiot

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

I have yet to see anyone come with a real reason why NAS is better then Direct Attached Storage when it comes to Plex.
If you are using a "thin" client (ATV2,Roku or DNLA) you need transcoding so NAS would be out!
If you are using a full client (OSX,Windows or Linux) why would you add the added cost of a NAS and its tiny CPU over a RAID-DAS!?
I think that over time and the processors in NAS' get beefier it may be a viable option. But as of today there is no consumer/small-buiseness grade NAS that can out perform a Computer/DAS setup!
B)

Sony PS3 (DNLA-Plex)
ATV2 (Plex)
ATV3 (PlexConnect!)

Roku 2XS

#14 adriandb

adriandb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

If you are using a "thin" client (ATV2,Roku or DNLA) you need transcoding so NAS would be out!

Well you can put a powerful processor in a NAS for transcoding, it just doesn't seem like the best solution to me.

2012 Mac Mini - 2.5GHz dual-core i5 - 8gb RAM - Mac OS 10.8 | Sans Digital TowerRAID TR5UT+B RAID 5 (5 x 3TB) | Onkyo TX-SR608 | LG 55" LED LCD (55LW5600)

#15 digiot

digiot

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Well you can put a powerful processor in a NAS for transcoding, it just doesn't seem like the best solution to me.

I wasn't aware that you could upgrade the CPU on a NAS. Maybe that Synology with an 8 core i7 IvyBridge upgrade would be cool B)

Sony PS3 (DNLA-Plex)
ATV2 (Plex)
ATV3 (PlexConnect!)

Roku 2XS

#16 adriandb

adriandb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

I wasn't aware that you could upgrade the CPU on a NAS. Maybe that Synology with an 8 core i7 IvyBridge upgrade would be cool B)

Yes, and you can custom build them as well. That's my point though, at that point it seems like overkill for simply streaming your media, but that's just me.

#17 LinPlex

LinPlex

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

For my part, just take this simple step. Do not buy a Drobo. I have had two units fail and it has killed multiple hard drives due to those failures (one was a reboot loop that kept cold starting the drives until they failed.)

You can do better with another solution. Skip the Drobo.

#18 gogojuice

gogojuice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

What would you recommend NON NAS?

Since the device can connect to multiple computers I see really no need to go NAS. I'm confused at what I should be looking for. Multiple bays (4 or more) and gigabit ethernet I think are a must.

#19 youngdreamers

youngdreamers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

What would you recommend NON NAS?

Since the device can connect to multiple computers I see really no need to go NAS. I'm confused at what I should be looking for. Multiple bays (4 or more) and gigabit ethernet I think are a must.

I'm also looking for non-NAS.. I've decided not to get Drobo so what are my alternatives if I don't want NAS..

#20 digiot

digiot

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

I'm also looking for non-NAS.. I've decided not to get Drobo so what are my alternatives if I don't want NAS..

I personally chose a 4-Bay RAID enclosure with 4 3TB Drives in a RAID5 configuration giving me 9TB of storage with single drive parity. At first I connected it over FW800 to my MacMini but have since then modded my MacMini with an eSATA connection (the through put went from 80Mb to 240Mb B) )
Here is the RAID I use:
http://eshop.macsale...ng/MEQX2T12.0S/

Sony PS3 (DNLA-Plex)
ATV2 (Plex)
ATV3 (PlexConnect!)

Roku 2XS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users