• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikegraf

mikegraf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

Firstly, truly love Plex and the way it operates (and especially the iOS client).

I installed on my Windows PC on the D: drive, but have noticed that my C: drive is slowly filling up. Tracked this down to the Plex Media Server folder (in \Users\[name]AppData\Local directory) that has now grown to be over 11 Gb in size (11 Gb of space which I really cannot spare).

I had hoped that the application, being stored on the D: drive (where space is not so limited), would also store its cache or program information there, however it is obviously building it up on my C: drive.

Is there any resolution to either move the folder to another drive (than C:) or anything that I should check to help free up space? Otherwise I will need to uninstall Plex given my C: drive is shortly going to run out of space.

Appreciate the help

#2 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

Firstly, truly love Plex and the way it operates (and especially the iOS client).

I installed on my Windows PC on the D: drive, but have noticed that my C: drive is slowly filling up. Tracked this down to the Plex Media Server folder (in \Users\[name]AppData\Local directory) that has now grown to be over 11 Gb in size (11 Gb of space which I really cannot spare).

I had hoped that the application, being stored on the D: drive (where space is not so limited), would also store its cache or program information there, however it is obviously building it up on my C: drive.

Is there any resolution to either move the folder to another drive (than C:) or anything that I should check to help free up space? Otherwise I will need to uninstall Plex given my C: drive is shortly going to run out of space.

Appreciate the help

Hi,

There is a reg key you can change to locate the metadata anywhere you want it.

http://forums.plexap...038#entry155038
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#3 mikegraf

mikegraf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

Hi,

There is a reg key you can change to locate the metadata anywhere you want it.

http://forums.plexap...038#entry155038

Ninja thanks for the (really) prompt reply... quick question. Apart from changing the Registry key, do I need to do anything else?

That is, should I recreate the folder structure?
or copy over the 11 Gbs from C:\Users\...\Plex Media Server to D:\Program Files\Plex\Plex Media Server (as an example)
or will Plex automatically recreate the folders as needed and slowly (over time) rebuild the information?

#4 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

Ninja thanks for the (really) prompt reply... quick question. Apart from changing the Registry key, do I need to do anything else?

That is, should I recreate the folder structure?
or copy over the 11 Gbs from C:\Users\...\Plex Media Server to D:\Program Files\Plex\Plex Media Server (as an example)
or will Plex automatically recreate the folders as needed and slowly (over time) rebuild the information?

I'd do it like this;
- shutdown PMS
- Do the Reg key
- copy everything over
- restart PMS
- drink beer (and watch movies) :)
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users