80 replies to this topic

#1 fanclerks

fanclerks

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:39 AM

I hope this is the right section to put this under. If there is a better one, feel free to move it mods.

What is it? Maraschino is a python based web frontend for your home theater PC (HTPC). It integrated with SABnzbd, CouchPotato, SickBeard, Trakt, and XBMC. It utilizes customizable modules to present your library and other information how you like it. It also enables you to utilize your local keyboard as a remote for XBMC using your local PC!

Why do I care? Maraschino has now added Plex functionality! After discovering Maraschino I was disappointed to see that it was based around XBMC. Knowing that Plex is a fork of XBMC, I figured that it couldn't be too difficult to add functionality to support Plex too. So, I decided to request it as a feature and finally got one of the devs to throw together some beta functionality! I want to emphasize that, it's still very much a beta. It will allow you to see what you've recently added for movies, TV shows, and music albums, but will not allow you to directly select something and have it start playing in Plex like you can with XBMC. All of the other modules appear to still function perfectly well though with SickBeard, CouchPotato, and SAB. Hopefully with time full Plex support will come but the devs need more testers! If you're interested, read on.

What's it look like? Here is a screenshot from my install and some from their project page

Attached File  Maraschino.png   1.38MB   112 downloads
Attached File  Maraschino 2.jpg   325.69KB   65 downloads
Attached File  Maraschino 3.jpg   365.29KB   54 downloads

Where can I find out more about Maraschino? You can find their project page here.

How do I give it a spin with Plex? Great, you decided to join in and be a beta tester! Welcome to the club. You can follow the development thread on their support page here. If you're somewhat knowledgeable with the command line, here is what I did:

This assumes you already have python installed.

1. Change directory into where you plan to have Maraschino kept. I chose the Applications directory as I'm running OS X for my HTPC and it's easier.

2. Clone the plex-dev branch of Maraschino with git

git clone -b plexdev git://github.com/elsingaa/maraschino.git

3. Once git has finished pulling a copy from the repository, go into the directory created.

4. Start Maraschino

python Maraschino.py

5. Pay attention to what it says. It should automatically start and listen on all IPs on port 7000.

6. Connect to Maraschino on your respective server on that port in a browser and customize Maraschino as you like. When you setup the Recently Added modules for Plex, you'll need to connect your Plex Media Server machine http://*SERVER_IP*:3...ibrary/sections and use the key for each respective section.

MAC ONLY Once you've got Maraschino how you like, you can add a new LaunchAgent or Daemon to automatically have it start depending on your preferences. You can do that by doing the following:

1. Go into ~/Library/LaunchAgents or /Library/LaunchDaemons; LaunchAgents are for if you want Maraschino running only when your user is logged in, LaunchDaemons is for if you want it always running even without a user logged in.

2. Create a new file called com.maraschino.maraschino.plist with the following contents

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Label</key>
<string>com.maraschino.maraschino</string>
<key>ProgramArguments</key>
<array>
<string>/usr/bin/python</string>
<string>/Applications/maraschino/Maraschino.py</string>
</array>
<key>RunAtLoad</key>
<true/>
<key>KeepAlive</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Change the string for wherever you choose to put the Maraschino.py file.

3. Add new file to launchd so it is automatically started. This will also start Maraschino so you should stop it prior to issuing this command if it's running still.

launchctl load ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.maraschino.maraschino.plist

4. Now test Maraschino to verify it's running.

NOTE Please use the support thread for any support issues regarding Maraschino. Please keep this thread to only discussions of Plex and Maraschino. The devs are not monitoring this thread for issues. The support thread will get issues resolved much quicker.
  • vicariousMe and CRiMe like this

#2 elsingaa

elsingaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

Great post!

The plexdev is for bleeding edge Plex support. Since the post I merged it into the master repository.
If you want to have a somewhat stable Maraschino use
git clone http://github.com/elsingaa/maraschino.git
If you like living on the edge use
git clone -b plexdev http://github.com/elsingaa/maraschino.git
There are no guarantees that the plexdev branch will work. The first one (the master) will always work.

#3 CRiMe

CRiMe

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Looks very interesting. Thanks for this post.

I got it working and set up a few modules like SickBeard, Trakt and weather... Very nice.

The only thing I couldn't get to work is to add my Plex server for the recent added modules.
I filled out the required stuff and clicked save.
But nothing happens after that and when I tried to add a recent module it says:
Problem connecting to your server. (obviously :) )

I pulled the stable version, btw.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

#4 luca5

luca5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

Very nice! It works for me, but only if I use the plexdev version. That version asks you to update. However, if you do that it loses all Plex related stuff. So, don't upgrade. After you've started Maraschino, move your mouse to the top-right corner. In the menu that appears, add your Plex server to the Media servers section. After that, the recently added modules should work.

#5 fanclerks

fanclerks

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

Looks very interesting. Thanks for this post.

I got it working and set up a few modules like SickBeard, Trakt and weather... Very nice.

The only thing I couldn't get to work is to add my Plex server for the recent added modules.
I filled out the required stuff and clicked save.
But nothing happens after that and when I tried to add a recent module it says:
Problem connecting to your server. (obviously :) )

I pulled the stable version, btw.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

You need to pull the plex-dev branch in order to have Plex functionality I believe.

#6 fanclerks

fanclerks

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

Great post!

The plexdev is for bleeding edge Plex support. Since the post I merged it into the master repository.
If you want to have a somewhat stable Maraschino use

git clone http://github.com/elsingaa/maraschino.git
If you like living on the edge use
git clone -b plexdev http://github.com/elsingaa/maraschino.git
There are no guarantees that the plexdev branch will work. The first one (the master) will always work.

Thanks for the work and the post! Oh and welcome to the forums!

#7 CRiMe

CRiMe

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

You need to pull the plex-dev branch in order to have Plex functionality I believe.

That was it.

Thanks.

#8 MickyGX

MickyGX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

I currently have plex and maraschino installed on a Synology NAS and all is working fine. I want to add the plex branch and the couchpotato branch to my maraschino install. I have git installed but don't know where to start in terms of merging the 3 together i.e.

https://github.com/m...ling/maraschino
https://github.com/g...ree/couchpotato
https://github.com/e...no/tree/plexdev

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

#9 fanclerks

fanclerks

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

I currently have plex and maraschino installed on a Synology NAS and all is working fine. I want to add the plex branch and the couchpotato branch to my maraschino install. I have git installed but don't know where to start in terms of merging the 3 together i.e.

https://github.com/m...ling/maraschino
https://github.com/g...ree/couchpotato
https://github.com/e...no/tree/plexdev

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

I'm not quite sure what the couchpotato branch you've got there is but the version you need that works with Plex is the plexdev branch. I got rid of my old maraschino install folder when I got the plexdev branch. Depending on how you have them setup, you could theoretically have each install running separately if on different ports and in their own folders.

#10 jonathanjacob@mac.com

jonathanjacob@mac.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

I posted an issue I am having on the lighthouse site. any insight

https://maraschino.l...63-plex-support

#11 MickyGX

MickyGX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

I'm not quite sure what the couchpotato branch you've got there is but the version you need that works with Plex is the plexdev branch. I got rid of my old maraschino install folder when I got the plexdev branch. Depending on how you have them setup, you could theoretically have each install running separately if on different ports and in their own folders.

I might not have explained correctly. I can get the plexdev working and I can get the couchpotato working within maraschino, but being greedy I want both working at the same time. I have been reading about merging branches but I am new to it all so I keep getting stuck. I guess with time both features will be added to maraschino master but not sure I can wait till then :P.

Geo

#12 elsingaa

elsingaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

I might not have explained correctly. I can get the plexdev working and I can get the couchpotato working within maraschino, but being greedy I want both working at the same time. I have been reading about merging branches but I am new to it all so I keep getting stuck. I guess with time both features will be added to maraschino master but not sure I can wait till then :P.

Geo

Not sure if you really want to go there :) But if you do, check out this url: http://git-scm.com/b...ing-and-Merging
If you do a merge you'll have to edit the files that generate conflicts. If you're familiar with Python it probably won't be a problem.

Hopefully the Couch Potato and Plex developments will be integrated into the main code base for Maraschino.

#13 fanclerks

fanclerks

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

Geo

Oh, well that is a bit more complicated. Like elsingaa said though, I'd suggest just waiting until the CouchPotato and plexdev branch is integrated into the master branch.

#14 MickyGX

MickyGX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

Not sure if you really want to go there :) But if you do, check out this url: http://git-scm.com/b...ing-and-Merging
If you do a merge you'll have to edit the files that generate conflicts. If you're familiar with Python it probably won't be a problem.

Hopefully the Couch Potato and Plex developments will be integrated into the main code base for Maraschino.

Thanks for the advice. I am learning python as we speak but still very much a novice. Might have a play 'offline' and see where it gets me. Will check out the link but I am guessing by the time I have sussed it, it may be in the master repo!!! It will be fun trying hehe.

Thanks again,

Geo

#15 elsingaa

elsingaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am learning python as we speak but still very much a novice. Might have a play 'offline' and see where it gets me. Will check out the link but I am guessing by the time I have sussed it, it may be in the master repo!!! It will be fun trying hehe.

Thanks again,

Geo

Just try it :) My Python knowledge was zero before I started with the Plex stuff for Maraschino. I could use some help though ;)

#16 MickyGX

MickyGX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Just try it :) My Python knowledge was zero before I started with the Plex stuff for Maraschino. I could use some help though ;)

Well going to give it a go when I get chance. I am swatting up whenever I get a spare minute but don't hold your breath! Would be glad to help, even if its just to be a guinea pig! Will let you know how i get on.

#17 MickyGX

MickyGX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Well going to give it a go when I get chance. I am swatting up whenever I get a spare minute but don't hold your breath! Would be glad to help, even if its just to be a guinea pig! Will let you know how i get on.

Well feeling rather smug! Was easier than I expected :)

#18 MickyGX

MickyGX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

Got it working on my synology nas too :). Are you looking at the media library function currently? Was thinking of taking a look and having a play. Think I understand what you have done so far with plexdev.

#19 elsingaa

elsingaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

I'm working on the library functionality right now. I'll push it to the plexdev branch somewhere this weekend.
Your help is much appreciated. It takes a lot more than than I anticipated :(

#20 MickyGX

MickyGX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

I'm working on the library functionality right now. I'll push it to the plexdev branch somewhere this weekend.
Your help is much appreciated. It takes a lot more than than I anticipated :(

Been really busy of late and haven't spent much time on it unfortunately. I'd be happy to help though. Is there anything you want me to do?