• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 cronserver

cronserver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

All right anyone who sees this, here is the deal.

I have set up a plex media server, which streams ANY media perfectly fine to my android phone with the plex app installed. Recently though, I've come across and xbox 360.. I've attached it to the network (and DLNA) and it plays certain files fine, such as TV shows and other small media.

Anytime I try to play a H264 - MPEG-4 AVC with a resolution of at least 1920x800 and AAC audio (mp4a) I get an error on the xbox that says Can't play this content because it may not be supported. status code: 69-C00D36B4.

Now obviously, the xbox doesn't like the file type or what have you, BUT I was under the impression that Plex Media Server took care of these types of issues by transcoding on the fly. The machine with the server on it is more than powerful enough (16gb ram, 2 dual core xeons).

So I'm thinking that the plex "profile" or whatever isn't set up correctly and isn't properly transcoding the video for streaming to the xbox. I've tried editing the .xml to no avail. Also, endless googling has led me to posting in the forum, which honestly, was my last option.

I'm wondering if anyone can provide some insight on this issue, I'm running the latest beta (0.9.6.5) although I've had the same results on .3 and .4 .

I'm at my wits end here and any suggestions would be awesome. Thank you for your help and time, it is really greatly appreciated.

#2 Saskwatch

Saskwatch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

Having the exact same issue, and everyone seems to be quiet. *sigh*

It will play my mkvs, but not m4vs that have been optimized for AppleTV.

#3 joshuag

joshuag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

Hey guys,

I was having the same problem and this solved it for me.

Go into the preferences folder from the dlna interface on the 360 and disable direct play. This forces everything to go through the transcoder on the 360.

Worked like a charm.

#4 dalim

dalim

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

cronserver have you tried doIng the above?

do your album art/posters show up on the Xbox?

#5 Juggoire

Juggoire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

On the current release, I've found that going in to the preferences folder and setting the following:

Direct Play: Disabled
Direct Stream: Disabled
Local files: 720p (3 mbps)
Internet files: 720p
Remote Files: 720p (3 mbps)

Seems to fix the buffering and compatibility issues. Still feels a little 'clunky' though, in particular when 'skipping' within the movie - it can sometimes get completely stuck or return the 'unsupported file type' error forcing you to restart the movie.

#6 FreeJAC7

FreeJAC7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

Where do you tweak these settings to help the Xbox 360?

#7 westikle

westikle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

not sure if this is relavent, but i believe xbox will play any H264 encode as long as the audio is 2-channel and not 5.1 or anything else.

#8 FreeJAC7

FreeJAC7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

not sure if this is relavent, but i believe xbox will play any H264 encode as long as the audio is 2-channel and not 5.1 or anything else.

If I was willing to convert all my videos and remove the 5.1 make them compatible then I wouldn't need Plex. The DLNA server crap in Windows natively sans media center / media player would do the trick. Having Plex transcode on the fly for incompatible vids is kind of the point IMHO. The metadata is also important but more important to some than others. 21

#9 burbaby

burbaby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

Excited to get everything set up on Plex and have started using my Xbox as my media streaming device until I get a real streaming device (WD or Slingbox). I am likewise having trouble with the audio... It must be something to do with the AAC 5.1. Any file with that in it will not play audio and I'm thinking Xbox does not have the codec or support this. Kind of makes my Xbox useless for streaming. So much for the temp fix to streaming video.... Any suggestions or help would be awesome! Thanks! -Newbie (burbaby)

#10 FreeJAC7

FreeJAC7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

The Xbox has pretty excellent streaming capabilities especially when used as Media Center extender. Although it is not as good as a dedicated streaming device, it is hardly 'useless'. The Plex channel on the Roku box is pretty awesome as well.

Can someone point me as to where the preferences folder is when using the xbox?

thx

**Edit**

To answer my own question. When you go through the folders dished up by the server with the default system player you will see a movies folder and further down the list will be a preferences folder. Go in there and change the settings. The changes won't reflect as in it will look like the options weren't changed until you go right out of folder and back in again.

#11 westikle

westikle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

did we conclude that xbox will not play 5.1?

#12 FreeJAC7

FreeJAC7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

did we conclude that xbox will not play 5.1?

What the xbox can or can't do is irrelevant because Plex can take care of it on the fly by transcoding if required.(correct me if I'm misunderstanding) I have a hand full of 720p MKV files with DTS and AC3 sound, plays fine with the PS3 via DLNA or with a device with a Plex client (playbook in my case) but the xbox 360 is a mess. Actually my PS3 does not play them fine, they lock up after a long time, but at least it is watchable. My understanding PS3 media server works ok with both consoles but I haven't tried it since I am wanting to get Plex working.

#13 westikle

westikle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

maybe i am misunderstanding, but, if the xbox will not play a file type with 5.1 audio, it hardly seems irrelevant. now i've known this is an issue when trying to play files off a flash drive, media disc, or even Media Center, but does that mean Plex is not doing it's job in this case? will it transcode to two channel audio so that it will play on xbox?

#14 FreeJAC7

FreeJAC7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

maybe i am misunderstanding, but, if the xbox will not play a file type with 5.1 audio, it hardly seems irrelevant. now i've known this is an issue when trying to play files off a flash drive, media disc, or even Media Center, but does that mean Plex is not doing it's job in this case? will it transcode to two channel audio so that it will play on xbox?

That is correct 2-ch. Same as if you playback on a Playbook or iPhone. Same transcoding PS3Media server or TVersity. See the last couple of sentences in the first paragraph of the TVersity wiki here.

#15 iphoneuser

iphoneuser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

do your album art/posters show up on the Xbox?

I tried the xbox 360 as a streaming client, too. Yesterday I had posters for my moview. Today they are gone. Is there a setting to enabled this option?

I found the following entries in the log:

Jan 09, 2013 17:09:19:619 [7864] DEBUG - Mapped client to profile Xbox 360 using header Xenon
Jan 09, 2013 17:09:19:619 [7864] DEBUG - Sending capabilities: protocols=http-streaming-video;videoDecoders=h264{profile:high&resolution:1080&level:41},mpeg4,vc1,wmv2,wmv3;audioDecoders=aac{channels:2},ac3{channels:6},wmapro{channels:6},wmav2{channels:6}

#16 iphoneuser

iphoneuser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

did anybody get pms 0.9.7.10 running with xbox 360? Still problems with skipping, ff, rewind and not playing .m4v-files

#17 Cunningcory

Cunningcory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

I've given up on this for now. I bought a Roku and am just carrying it from TV to TV to play my Plex instead of bothering with the Xbox. Having everything transcode doesn't work. Trying to transcode files BEFORE you try to stream them doesn't work. This just doesn't work. I've NEVER seen posters in the Xbox's Plex.

Someone please update us when Plex releases a fix/overhaul for Xbox support. Thanks.

#18 DarkNeuron

DarkNeuron

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Xbox has always been shit when it comes to streaming. I expect its poorly implemented, and I expect its meant to be that way so the consumers are more incline to use that stupid "Xbox Movies" app - for renting and buying movies.

#19 Comsat70

Comsat70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Xbox has always been shit when it comes to streaming. I expect its poorly implemented, and I expect its meant to be that way so the consumers are more incline to use that stupid "Xbox Movies" app - for renting and buying movies.

I think it's more likely that this feature has been treated as an afterthought by MS. My point earlier is that PlayOn has worked well for me and I would hope that Plex could meet or exceed what PlayOn managed.

Ironically, now that I've installed Plex as a media server/manager I'm seeing thumbnails for my content on Xbox when using PlayOn, but not when I'm actually using Plex.

#20 anschmid

anschmid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

I cannot entirely agree that this is XBOX only problem.

I have a Synology DS412+ running Plex media serverversion 0.9.7.28.33 which i understand is the latest. As everyone I get the same issues trying to stream mkv files from my NAS to XBOX using the Plex Media server.

However if i stop Plex and install the standard Media Server that comes with the Synology NAS all I need to do is set it up to transcode mkv files for clients that can't handle them and of you go. The files play perfectly fine on my XBOX only thing doesn't work is fast forward/rewind ... streaming.

So look i don't think this entirely a XBOX issue. Plex could make this work somehow as the Synology Media Server does.

(Note same systems, connections and files involved in both scenarios)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users