86 replies to this topic

#41 dvdchance

dvdchance

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

thanks. and plex will be able to play all the mkv and mp4 files on the vizio costar? (not the roku...)

I have Roku2's in 2 bedrooms and they play mkv and mp4 files just fine via PLex.

From what I've read, most implementations of DLNA servers can be frustrating and liminiting to use. Some formats not recognised or not playing properly. Before I setup Plex I investigated using DLNA as my BluRay player supports a version of it, and from what I researched it was hit or miss regarding what files and codecs it would play.

Plex will play most anything and to the casual end user gives a great experience, with nice program art and cataloging of TV shows and movies. My GF and daughter wouldn't know a mkv from the NBA but they have no issues at all watching content on the Roku's via Plex.

#42 Raynes

Raynes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

Well, it's pretty much the same with the Roku and co-star. They support one codec, h.264. Anyways, the co-star uses Google TV so it has a native Plex app. You shouldn't need to use DNLA.

#43 eug7

eug7

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

My account was just charged today for th Co-star. Does this mean shipping by Vizio is imminent? I bought the Co-star for the Plex app. I have no experience with the Android app. How does it compare to the PC client version? Natively the Co-star doesn't support AVI? Will Plex Sever transcode?

#44 unisonruss

unisonruss

Plex-Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

My account was just charged today for th Co-star. Does this mean shipping by Vizio is imminent? I bought the Co-star for the Plex app. I have no experience with the Android app. How does it compare to the PC client version? Natively the Co-star doesn't support AVI? Will Plex Sever transcode?

Typically, this means shipments are beginning. I bet within a couple of days you will get an email and tracking info.

All mobile clients, at this point, are nothing like the desktop client. The mobile clients are very stripped down for ease of use, and to eliminate clutter while browsing your content. Not skinable, and does lack features that the Laika client has...hopefully the gap in features will close real soon. I've heard the google tv plex app is closer to the desktop, but not by a lot..I heard a UI redesign is in progress, so future updates will get us closer to Laika. As of now, the only similarity is the home screen.

And yes, plex transcodes anything not supported natively by the Vizio.

#45 eug7

eug7

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

Excellent. When I discovered Plex the contrast between the with PMS media management flexibility, the killer UI and the Boxee Box UI was monstrous. I would think users are screaming for a set top Plex. I for one want the simplicity of a set top so the fam. doesn't have to mess around with windows 7 on the HTPC/sever. Also, the compactness of a remote such as the one paired with the Co-star is cool.

On the forums you see everywhere the buzz about XBMC and Plex ports to potential Android devices like the Pivos XIOS-DS.

#46 unisonruss

unisonruss

Plex-Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

Yeah, Plex is really starting to blow up on all sorts of different kinds of clients. It's great for new users to not have to worry about using their computer connected to their TV anymore, now content is just available anywhere. By next year I wouldn't be surprised if Plex is on every available device. And the Vizio costar looks really promising for Google TV, and I bet it will get a lot more people into using Plex.

#47 eug7

eug7

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

Yeah, Plex is really starting to blow up on all sorts of different kinds of clients. It's great for new users to not have to worry about using their computer connected to their TV anymore, now content is just available anywhere. By next year I wouldn't be surprised if Plex is on every available device. And the Vizio costar looks really promising for Google TV, and I bet it will get a lot more people into using Plex.

I've owned a dozen different devices like the woeful Popbox. The latest the Boxee Box. There was always incompleteness in performance or execution. The UI's mainly. Finally, Plex brings forth the comprehensiveness needed in features, execution and performance. The only thing lacking is work on the scanning agents for music and home TV show identification.

#48 Tischer.s

Tischer.s

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

At first Hi to all of you...

I am having a small problem due the fact that I live in germany and don't have any opportunity getting an 1080 plex client for my tv supporting 1080p. Neither the Roku is available nor the Vizio...

Thats why I am asking you guys here living in the USA if there is an chance that one of you buys one and send this over to me.

Definitely we will talk private later, you get the money first and so on.

I am sure this don't sounds very trusting but I hope that you kind of trust me when you check my social profiles seeing don't try to scam here...

Problems with power supply due different approaches of US and Germany are no problem for me neither the fact that some apps are not working.

I just want it as a plex client for my tv :)

Thank you all...

best

Sebastian Tischer

#49 unisonruss

unisonruss

Plex-Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

Isn't there an amazon for uk residents? Try this link for Roku: http://www.amazon.co...44584434&sr=1-1

#50 Tischer.s

Tischer.s

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply :)

Yes there is this UK oportuniy but as german based citizen you can't order there either!

Furthermore I am more interested in the Vizio CoStar because it looks much more promisiong then the roku I think!

And it is Google TV based which means by far more functions you know?

One opportunity is to order it via viadress or any of these services...

Just wanted to check back if someone else here might help me

#51 eug7

eug7

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

Went home for lunch and there was the Co-star on the doorstep. I had enough time to go through the set-up. After set-up the unit detected a firmware/software update. I left the house with the upload in progress. The set-up screens look very polished. I hope this is a sign of good things.

I bought the Co-star specifically to run Plex. I want to retire the PC (with Plex server running & the Plex client) to an out of the way location and use the Co-star as a set top local media player. We'll see if the Google Plex app can meet my expectations. Hoping that the Google app will catch up to the PC client versions someday (soon) in aesthetics and features. Also, will all my media play through the Co-star? Everthing from mt2s, to ts, to avi, H264, MOV, WMV, MP4, MKV, etc.

#52 Monsieur Latte

Monsieur Latte

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

Went home for lunch and there was the Co-star on the doorstep. I had enough time to go through the set-up. After set-up the unit detected a firmware/software update. I left the house with the upload in progress. The set-up screens look very polished. I hope this is a sign of good things.

I bought the Co-star specifically to run Plex. I want to retire the PC (with Plex server running & the Plex client) to an out of the way location and use the Co-star as a set top local media player. We'll see if the Google Plex app can meet my expectations. Hoping that the Google app will catch up to the PC client versions someday (soon) in aesthetics and features. Also, will all my media play through the Co-star? Everthing from mt2s, to ts, to avi, H264, MOV, WMV, MP4, MKV, etc.

You bastard!!!! Mine is in stupid Oregon somewhere, wont be seeing it until next week I am sure. Reviews!!!!

#53 eug7

eug7

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

I live in Cali. What can I say. I have nearly no interest in online content so my observations will be limited to Plex. Besides, if I have the occasional need to check out youtube or rev. 3 I can get through Plex.

#54 Monsieur Latte

Monsieur Latte

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

I live in Cali. What can I say. I have nearly no interest in online content so my observations will be limited to Plex. Besides, if I have the occasional need to check out youtube or rev. 3 I can get through Plex.

I am only interested in how it runs plex, 1080p, dts, menu speeds, audio sync with both hd and sd formats.

#55 eug7

eug7

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

Most of my HD media is down converted to save space because for one I can't tell the difference between full Blu-ray res. and my reduced to about 8K on my Sony Bravia. But, a Boxee Box poster posted the below video test files just today of up to 110 Mbps. Should be useful to measure the Plex server and Co-star hardware capabilities.

https://dl.dropbox.c...idth-tests.html

#56 Monsieur Latte

Monsieur Latte

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

No worries on the downconverter as long as it's still decent I think I average btw 10-18Mbps for my media.

#57 dvdchance

dvdchance

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

Can't wait for first impressions and reviews.

#58 Monsieur Latte

Monsieur Latte

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

Sadly it wont be from me, still waiting on mine, I am hoping eug7 can give us some details soon.

#59 eug7

eug7

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:22 AM

First my HTPC machine is a PC I built with an ASUS M/B that happens to have HDMI out. The machine is an I3 and runs both PMS and Windows client. Audio from the TV is fine for me so no Hi Fi.

I'll just bullet observations so far (no particular order):

1. The combination Co-star and Google Plex app are inferior to the combination HTPC and Windows client.
2. Fanart does not change when moving between different sections like the PC client.
3. If you're in a section, go to select all movies and in that sections movie poster, for example, and you hit the back button on the remote the cursor ends up on the on the on deck portion of the screen not the sections list.
4. If you select a movie and start play and you hit the back button the cursor doesn't go back to the movie poster icon you selected but seems to end up randomly on some other poster.
5. The combo Co-star and Google Plex are is slow, poky compared to the PC.
6. The PC client UI is more polished looking and its behavior is precise as opposed to the Google Plex.
7. The Google Plex app is buggy. Had several crashes.
8. Fast forward and rewind is basically non existent.
9. The qwerty remote doesn't work with the Google Plex. Hit "I" for example to get info and nothing. No other keyboard actions work.
10. Upon installation of the Plex app onto the Co-star the default play stream quality is 8Mbps and AC3 audio is disabled. From settings I enabled AC3 audio. None of the files with AC3 played audio. You have to disable AC3 to hear audio. Doesn't make sense to me.
11. HD TS and MT2S files will not play video if the play stream resolution is set to 8Mbps. I remuxed one of my HD filed to MKV and it then played. I found that if you drop play stream quality to 4Mbps the TS, M2TS files will play. From that discovery I left the stream quality on 4Mbps.
12. I had no audio sync issues between all file types (AVI, MOV, TS h.264, M2TS h.264, MP4, WMV) HD or SD.
13. When hitting fast forward repeatedly to get it to advance the app crashes.
14. The app crashes from time to time. Why???
15. Playing almost an hour WMV 720 x 1280 from time to time the video would stutter as if the hardware or transcode was catching up. Don't think this would happen using the HTPC.
16. The HTPC experience is superior.
17. The Google Plex app UI is a combo Media Stream PC client and Android device app. Better than the Roku app, better than the Samsung app (I tried the Samsung before the latest update).
18. Not sure I'll keep the Co-star. I really would like a set top box to run Plex but nothing else is as sleek and sophisticated as the PC clients.
19. I really like panel stream view in the PC client version of Plex. If you have a large media library you can whip through movie posters pretty quick. It's not on the app version.
20. I tested about a half dozen of my digital camera created videos files and all played including HD video created by the Canon T3I but my Nikon D5100 HD MOV file would only play audio. After I did the camera video test I tried, but the Google Plex app would not play an MV4 Apple audio files. It crashed after a restart of the app I tried again and the app and the Co-star crashed. I couldn't get the Co-star to reboot and had to do a factory restore. I don't know if the crash was due to trying to play the MV4 or a combination of the D5100 file choke and then the audio choke.
21. My tests using Silverlight experimental failed to play files. Had to stay with HLS.

#60 dvdchance

dvdchance

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:00 AM

Aug3, as to your point 10. If you only have audio from your tv AC3 would not work would it? Does your tv decode Dolby from hdmi?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users