• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 likwid25

likwid25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

hi. i have an external hard drive that is set up through my router on my home network. i would like to store all my movie and music files on this hard drive and be able to access it through plex without my laptop having to be on. does anyone know of a way to do this?

#2 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:45 PM

hi. i have an external hard drive that is set up through my router on my home network. i would like to store all my movie and music files on this hard drive and be able to access it through plex without my laptop having to be on. does anyone know of a way to do this?

Hi,

The Plex clients need to talk to the Plex server, which needs to be running on a Windows/OSX or Linux machine somewhere on your home network. Unless you have "another" machine somewhere to run the server, you'll need to have your laptop running to run the server.
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#3 killer13387

killer13387

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:53 AM

Yeah, this was the whole reason I signed up to Plex. I have an external on my network and use it for google tv and laptops etc.

I may as well plug the external into the tv, or the sony google tv box.

Getting a refund | I don't pay for windows media player :-\

#4 junngillist

junngillist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:04 AM

What about using a raspberry pi as an intermediary between the external HD and a Roku running plex. Could not the plex server be installed on the Raspberry?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users