• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SenseiOnIce

SenseiOnIce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hi, I am currently planning to set up a home media server and multiple clients using plex, however, I i'll be using it in a decidedly non-standard way.
so the train of thought begins: I wanted a whole house audio solution, but i have a large 8br 5 bath house, and systems that i looked at were obscenely expensive.
I initially took a look at the nuvo Grand concerto, but for 3000$ excluding speakers, it was way out of my budget!
on to option 2, an android tablet embedded in the wall with touchscreen exposed, so i can use it to control the music, however, this was expensive and required a way for me to pull the audio out and put it through my own DAC's, but i had no idea how to do this
To option 3, the option that i have settled on. A small low power nettop or arm box like this ARM box, running the plex client, using the awesome plex play to feature in the app, as my family has just ordered 3 nexus 7 (nexxi???), hook up that to a usb soundcard, that to an amp, and that to speakers. this gives me the facility just to chuck a tv in the room and get movie functionality too! Best of all, it comes out to around 350$ per room including speakers (assuming using the arm box).
so, finally to my question:
1) does plex support an audio queue, so i don't have to change the track after every song.
2) will the plex CLIENT, not the server run on an arm box, allowing me to bury it in my wall, have it passively cooled, and quiet.
3) is it also possible for me to push Net video (youtube) to the plex using the tablet as a remote (obviously when the screen is hooked up)
thanks for your time
-Dhash

#2 Radimus

Radimus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

Yes it has a queue, or at least you can play a whole album or artist by rightclicking the album/artist

The ARM box looks like it is just an android tablet without the screen and full size connectors, It should work fine... If you try it, let us know as that would make for a cheap terminal client.

I don't think you can push to any thing other than the full mac/pc clients (so far)
PMS: Dell XPS Gen3 (P4 @ 3.4ghz, 4Gb Ram, Win7x86)
Storage: Internal 2x2TB, 1x1.5TB
Home: 1xWin7 HTPC, 2xWin7 Laptop, WD Media Player (DLNA), ASUS O!Play (DLNA) Kindle Fire HD
Mobile: Samsung Note, Samsung Galaxy S3, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle Fire, Dell Streak 5, Dell Streak 7

#3 DarkSlice

DarkSlice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

this would be a good money maker package if plex can get in the market for this - the software is the key part here, the hardware should be easy enought with the ARM box or the Raspberry Pi.

I'd love to see this put into play on the market.

1 x netoptia readyNAS Server
100 x meter of Cat 5e cable
1 x cat5 crimper
50 x cat5e heads
1 x 40 port switch box
5-10 clients with remote access

total cost ~ 1k
Sell for 1.5k with 1 years support and its still half the price of the market.
This maket is expanding very fast here in ireland - and there are no feasible options.

could be cool to place a keycard in your wallet and the music follows you form room to room :P

Can you keep me posted on your progress, i'd love to see what problems you hit and i might even be able to help.

#4 SenseiOnIce

SenseiOnIce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for taking the time to answer guys.
Radimus, youre missing the point a little though. i plan to control it from an android tablet and stream it to the ODROID, as that can run a small linux distro, like ubuntu, arch linux or fedora. since the ODROID runs linux, wouldnit be possible for me to make a queue on the androd device, and play it to the full desktop clent for linux?
DarkSlice, you hit the nail on the head! you came very close to what i want to do. heres the actual list.
1x cusom media rackmount server running amahi wit greyhole (an alternative to dive extender)
300m of cat 6a as each room will have 2 drops, and in some cases 3
3 wireless access points running in infrastructure mode
1 or 2 managed 48 port switches for the network backbone
3x nexus 7 for my famlily to use as tablets and remotes
10x ODROID running ubuntu and plex
LOTS of drives as this will also be a file server
thanks everybody!
Sorry about spelling guys, i'm typing this on my tablet

#5 DarkSlice

DarkSlice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:07 AM

hmm i don't know if can queue items like an album / movie to an android device like you can with iphone to an apple Tv.

I'd imagion your looking to have an android tablet in your hands, and say - here's a movie on my server - Play (airplay) to "Bedroom" device.
I don't know of anything that can do this?

In the android plex environment, its my understanding that you need be in front of the device in question and say - Play this movie from my server (while your in the bedroom in-front of the device)

#6 SenseiOnIce

SenseiOnIce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

hmm i don't know if can queue items like an album / movie to an android device like you can with iphone to an apple Tv.

I'd imagion your looking to have an android tablet in your hands, and say - here's a movie on my server - Play (airplay) to "Bedroom" device.
I don't know of anything that can do this?

In the android plex environment, its my understanding that you need be in front of the device in question and say - Play this movie from my server (while your in the bedroom in-front of the device)

ahh thanks darkslice. you described what I want in my usecase. ideally i would open up my plex app on my nexus 7, long press an album, and say play all to "bedroom", but you can't do that from an android device is what you're saying. i would have to run a full msc/pc/linux client to add music to a queue, am i getting that right?? But for individual songs i would be able to do that from an android tablet. Did i understand your post right??my vision would be:
Take nexus 7---> open up the plex app---> navigate to music---> find an album or playlist I want to play---> long press it and say play to Bedroom---> 5 seconds later---> music in my bedroom. but i cant do that with an android device? i have to use a fully fledged desktop client??

in answer too your question, i install the plex client on 1 of my pc's and the server on another, added movies, and took my windows phone and my moms ndroid tablet, but i could get movies to steam to the pc, with no intervention. however i still have to verify it with playlist, and multiple movies in an "add to queue" fashon

Thanks!

#7 DarkSlice

DarkSlice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

ahh thanks darkslice. you described what I want in my usecase. ideally i would open up my plex app on my nexus 7, long press an album, and say play all to "bedroom", but you can't do that from an android device is what you're saying. i would have to run a full msc/pc/linux client to add music to a queue, am i getting that right?? But for individual songs i would be able to do that from an android tablet. Did i understand your post right??my vision would be:
Take nexus 7---> open up the plex app---> navigate to music---> find an album or playlist I want to play---> long press it and say play to Bedroom---> 5 seconds later---> music in my bedroom. but i cant do that with an android device? i have to use a fully fledged desktop client??

in answer too your question, i install the plex client on 1 of my pc's and the server on another, added movies, and took my windows phone and my moms ndroid tablet, but i could get movies to steam to the pc, with no intervention. however i still have to verify it with playlist, and multiple movies in an "add to queue" fashon

Thanks!

i must play around with that :P
From your demo it looks like it might be possible then :)
i take it your not based in ireland?

#8 SenseiOnIce

SenseiOnIce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

i must play around with that :P
From your demo it looks like it might be possible then :)
i take it your not based in ireland?

nope, not based in ireland, you would never guess where.
movies work as played from a media server using the android tablet as a fully functioning remote, and checking on audio and playlists as we....type.

#9 SenseiOnIce

SenseiOnIce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

The test is finished. Neither can i queue music from an android tablet to play on the computer, nor can do it locally. after each song i have to manually select the next. If plex could add audio/video queues as a feature that would be nice, but sadly, it's not supported now.

#10 SenseiOnIce

SenseiOnIce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

I may have just found a roundabout way of adding media to a plex queue, its free on android devices but $5 on IOS. still very rudimentary, but working on refining it. Anyone know a free ipad app that can edit SAMBA shares??

#11 DarkSlice

DarkSlice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

not get a bunch of apple tv'2 jailbreak and install plex? they cost about the same as the ARM(but they have a remote control)

#12 SenseiOnIce

SenseiOnIce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

due to the fact that i want a good to great external usb soundcard, and io cant use the optical out or the audio from the hdmi because the i would need a receiver, which costs upwards of 100$. sorry about the late post, been studying for 10th grade. also isn't that restricted to 720p??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users