• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Proenca

Proenca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:40 PM

What is the best and specially FASTEST way to copy DVDs ?

I have a friend that has a humongous DVD collection, want to go there and copy few dozens.

Whats the fastest way ? Handbrake + encoding takes too long ( prefer to do that at home ) so whats teh fastest way to do it ?

Make a ISO from the DVD onto my laptop disk ? Would it work with copyrigted dvds ?

I dont mind doing this and then getting home and creating a MKV from the ISOs ( double work I know ) which PLEX reads perfectly.. even ISOs PLEX read perfectly.. just want a fast way to copy things at his house.

Ideas ?

macintosh based ofc

#2 pkdoyle

pkdoyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

I use MacTheRipper. It's old but free, quick and almost always works.

#3 Josh

Josh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

I've had really good results with Ripit since installing it a few days ago. It rips and decrypts the whole DVD into a VIDEO_TS folder (or as a .dvdmedia package) and on my 2.16 GHz C2D MacBook takes about 20-30 minutes for a dual-layer DVD. I've been using it to rip a bunch of DVD's at once and then queue them up for processing with Handbrake.

(You can also play the dvdmedia and video_ts folders directly in Plex, but they take up a lot of space.)

Ripit also impresses me because it optionally reports successful and failed rips to the developers so they can update the program to work with the discs. If you look at their forums, they actually go out and buy DVD's that don't work and then update the program to work with them.

You can also set it up to automatically start ripping when a disc is inserted and then eject when it's done.

#4 Bolo

Bolo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

Fairmount & DVD2One is a great way to back up your dvds. Faimount has been more reliable than Mac the ripper for me. DVD2One makes it very easy to remove all the extras, menus, subtitles and extras I at least never watch. I like when I select a movie for the film to just begin. Also, you can have DVD2one compress the movie for you. I prefer to back up at the quality on the DVD. I figure the production companies have compressed it far enough already.

The above solution is not free, but really easy to do and reliable. At least for me.

#5 parallax1

parallax1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:57 AM

I have to add another vote for RipIt. I love the simplicity of the program - only two buttons, rip and eject.

Pop the DVD in, and hit the rip button, then it makes a perfect backup

#6 jayman978

jayman978

Plex Dev Team

• Plexville Red Sox Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4559 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:22 AM

Mac the Ripper here! The older versions are garbage. You need 3.0 - r14

#7 garyi

garyi

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:57 AM

Rip it here, its just too easy. Only downside being no compression so it eats drive space. But hey thats what drobo is for.

#8 aaronjb

aaronjb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

Mac the Ripper here! The older versions are garbage. You need 3.0 - r14

Ditto - although I did try out RipIt, the lack of control bugs me :) So back to MTR3.0 for me.

#9 roxx

roxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:09 PM

can mac the ripper make iso / files ? from dvd

#10 John Lockwood

John Lockwood

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

can mac the ripper make iso / files ? from dvd

No, but there are other utilities to make an ISO from a VIDEO_TS folder. Personally I don't use ISOs and keep them as VIDEO_TS which will then work in Front Row and DVD Player as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users