12 replies to this topic

#1 mastermesh

mastermesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

Problems I'm having with Plex on the Roku:

- Video Unavailable - Sorry but we can't play this video. The original may no longer be available, or it may be in a format that isn't supported.

This happens with queued stuff from the "plex it" button thing, but in other areas too. My guess it happens to be a format issue? This seems to happen with free youtube/crackle movies that I used Plex It button on... example: Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Groundhog Day, etc. CBS Channel seems to do this sometimes to under some stuff too, especially 'full episodes' folders. Fox channel does this too when trying to play anything. Transcoding is set to automatic. Should it go to to one of the other options? The options are Automatic, Direct Play, Direct Play w/ Fallback, Direct Stream/Transcode, Transcode. Which setting will work? The stuff is obviously there or the roku/plex would not see the file in the first place? I'm guessing it's a transoding or format issue? I tried the direct play and it said that it would not work. Transccode option is taking a long time to retrieve and then the video unavailable message comes up eventually...

- various channels - "No items to display. This directory appears to be empty" message. Example: Syfy channel under Battlestar Galatica, CBS channel under some of the stuff that doesn't hit the message listed above -- mostly 'full episodes, etc.'

- delays in going up a level, etc. Weird delays if you pick stuff too quickly or hit backwards arrow on remote too quickly to go back... basically it's like it doesn't remember where it is so the folder you were in a few seconds ago shows up instead of what should, even though the other screen showed up and you might have picked something in it, etc.

- WB channel does not work. MSNBC channel does not either. Go in to it, see the name of various series in there. Go in to those. Pick an episode and get option to play it. Hit the button to play it and it dumps me back to Roku main screen and out of the plex channel all together.

I'll add more later if I find more problems/issues.

Also, not sure how to add some 'unofficial' plugins? Downloaded some unsupported plugins from

http://wiki.plexapp....pported_plugins

and tried to put the in AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins folder but can't seem to figure out where to access them in the Plex program to turn them on?

Also, I seem to have turned on the 'windowed' mode somehow and can't figure out how to get Plex back to full screen mode again?

#2 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

- Video Unavailable - Sorry but we can't play this video. The original may no longer be available, or it may be in a format that isn't supported.

This happens with queued stuff from the "plex it" button thing, but in other areas too. My guess it happens to be a format issue? This seems to happen with free youtube/crackle movies that I used Plex It button on... example: Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Groundhog Day, etc. CBS Channel seems to do this sometimes to under some stuff too, especially 'full episodes' folders. Fox channel does this too when trying to play anything. Transcoding is set to automatic. Should it go to to one of the other options? The options are Automatic, Direct Play, Direct Play w/ Fallback, Direct Stream/Transcode, Transcode. Which setting will work? The stuff is obviously there or the roku/plex would not see the file in the first place? I'm guessing it's a transoding or format issue? I tried the direct play and it said that it would not work. Transccode option is taking a long time to retrieve and then the video unavailable message comes up eventually...

For the examples you mentioned, it's usually an issue with the channel that supports that site. For example, crackle movies usually can't be queued because while the bookmarklet knows there's a video there and successfully adds it to your queue, upon trying to get the details for the video the channel realizes that the video doesn't exist in any supported format. I believe one of the channel developers is working on this. Leaving the setting on Automatic is fine.

- various channels - "No items to display. This directory appears to be empty" message. Example: Syfy channel under Battlestar Galatica, CBS channel under some of the stuff that doesn't hit the message listed above -- mostly 'full episodes, etc.'

That message happens when you'd expect it to, the channel didn't return any content. For any specific channels that seem to have problems you might want to post in the channels subforum. There are a bunch of channel developers that actively read that forum.

- delays in going up a level, etc. Weird delays if you pick stuff too quickly or hit backwards arrow on remote too quickly to go back... basically it's like it doesn't remember where it is so the folder you were in a few seconds ago shows up instead of what should, even though the other screen showed up and you might have picked something in it, etc.

Is there a particular sequence that you can reproduce problems with? Some of the issues are at the Roku level, but I'm happy to take a look at anything we can improve. For the back button, the Roku handles that itself, not the individual channels. So it's certainly possible to confuse the Roku if you're trying to, but I'd like to investigate anything that's coming up in normal usage.

- WB channel does not work. MSNBC channel does not either. Go in to it, see the name of various series in there. Go in to those. Pick an episode and get option to play it. Hit the button to play it and it dumps me back to Roku main screen and out of the plex channel all together.

Yeah, that's a known Roku client bug introduced in the 2.4 update. There's already a fix, we're just trying to rush it through the approval process.

#3 tannenba

tannenba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:53 AM

For the examples you mentioned, it's usually an issue with the channel that supports that site. For example, crackle movies usually can't be queued because while the bookmarklet knows there's a video there and successfully adds it to your queue, upon trying to get the details for the video the channel realizes that the video doesn't exist in any supported format. I believe one of the channel developers is working on this. Leaving the setting on Automatic is fine.

That message happens when you'd expect it to, the channel didn't return any content. For any specific channels that seem to have problems you might want to post in the channels subforum. There are a bunch of channel developers that actively read that forum.

Is there a particular sequence that you can reproduce problems with? Some of the issues are at the Roku level, but I'm happy to take a look at anything we can improve. For the back button, the Roku handles that itself, not the individual channels. So it's certainly possible to confuse the Roku if you're trying to, but I'd like to investigate anything that's coming up in normal usage.

Yeah, that's a known Roku client bug introduced in the 2.4 update. There's already a fix, we're just trying to rush it through the approval process.

Where does this stand? I still have this problem on my XD.

Thanks,
Joe

#4 Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

Postmastermesh, on 30 July 2012 - 12:44 AM, said:

I have Roku Plex client 2.4.1 and my Plex Media Server 0.9.5.3 crashes every time I try to play a WB channel video. (Sometimes its associated Plex transcoder process — as appears in Apple Activity Monitor — also hangs around at 95% CPU usage, and I have to force-terminate it.) But unlike described by Postmastermesh with v2.4, my Roku client doesn't exit. (Please find attached, Plex Media Server log.zip)

Attached Files

- -
Plex client 2.6.7 channel on first-generation Roku XD|S (2100X)
Plex Media Server 0.9.9.7.429
Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

(updated from PMS 0.9.5.3 & Mac OS X 10.5.8 on Mar 17, 2014)
Firefox 28.0

MacBook Pro (5,2) "Mid 2009" — 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

#5 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Version 2.4.1 was released and fixed the bug that was making some channels crash, is that the problem you're talking about? Check to see which version you have by going to the Preferences and look in the upper right corner. It should be v2.4.1.

#6 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

I have Roku Plex client 2.4.1 and my Plex Media Server 0.9.5.3 crashes every time I try to play a WB channel video. (Sometimes its associated Plex transcoder process — as appears in Apple Activity Monitor — also hangs around at 95% CPU usage, and I have to force-terminate it.) But unlike described by Postmastermesh with v2.4, my Roku client doesn't exit. (Please find attached, Plex Media Server log.zip)

Was that log from when it crashed, or after restarting? I didn't see anything interesting in there.

Are you still running 0.9.5.3 intentionally? There have been a bunch of updates since then, possibly including a fix for whatever you're running into. The latest version is 0.9.6.7.

#7 tannenba

tannenba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

Version 2.4.1 was released and fixed the bug that was making some channels crash, is that the problem you're talking about? Check to see which version you have by going to the Preferences and look in the upper right corner. It should be v2.4.1.

Yes, I have 2.4.1 and Fox still does what everyone says. I can see the episode, but it says the video is not available when I try to watch it.

#8 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

Yes, I have 2.4.1 and Fox still does what everyone says. I can see the episode, but it says the video is not available when I try to watch it.

Ah, that's not what the known problem was. In 2.4, there was an issue where the Roku client would crash and kick you out to the main Roku home screen. That was quickly fixed in 2.4.1. As for any particular channel not playing videos, I don't know offhand if that channel is working. Does the channel work on other clients (e.g. iOS, Android, desktop client) and is only messed up on the Roku, or does it not work anywhere?

#9 Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

^ Oh, does the log get overwritten each time PMS is launched? Silly me! Watching its creation & mod dates and those of its "old" backup, I see that it does! ... OK, I'll do it all again reflecting PMS freshly-launched just for this exercise until just after PMS unexpectedly quits while trying to play a WB channel video. (And I won't relaunch PMS before grabbing the log for you this time!)

Yeah, 0.9.5.3 is the latest that will even run under my Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8.

Oh drat (or more precisely, "hooray!") — it just played a WB video successfully.... And another.... And another. When I wrote my preceding post, my PMS had crashed a half-dozen times in a row! Now it works, and I stupidly failed to get you a crash log from the failed attempts. Aaarrgghh! Sorry, I'm an idiot! ... Well, at least we have a good data point that Roku Plex 2.4.1 works with the WB channel at least some of the time!

False alarm. Mea culpa!

- -

Firefox 28.0

#10 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

Yeah, 0.9.5.3 is the latest that will even run under my Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8.

That's what I was afraid of. :[

I'm glad it's working at least occasionally, because I'm not sure there would be a new Leopard-compatible release to fix whatever the issue was.

#11 Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

OK, now my Plex Media Server 0.9.5.3 is back to crashing every time I try to play a video on the WB channel with my Plex client 2.4.1 channel (Roku 1 XD-S). Hope my attached log provides a clue.

Attached Files

- -

Firefox 28.0

#12 lylesback2

lylesback2

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

Try the newer releases, that version is slightly out of date.
Plex Media Server (Windows)
Roku 2 XS

#13 tannenba

tannenba

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

Ah, that's not what the known problem was. In 2.4, there was an issue where the Roku client would crash and kick you out to the main Roku home screen. That was quickly fixed in 2.4.1. As for any particular channel not playing videos, I don't know offhand if that channel is working. Does the channel work on other clients (e.g. iOS, Android, desktop client) and is only messed up on the Roku, or does it not work anywhere?

Don't have any other clients.... My other Streamer is my Kindle Fire which understands standard DLNA from the DNS-323's. I only have the server on one PC.
Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users