• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jeremy9174

jeremy9174

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Sorry if this is obvious but im having trouble finding a list of available channels somewhere. I've searched the forums here and general google searching unable to find anything.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Mikedm139

Mikedm139

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2896 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Sorry if this is obvious but im having trouble finding a list of available channels somewhere. I've searched the forums here and general google searching unable to find anything.

Thanks in advance!

The list of available channels is accessed via the "Channel Directory" menu in the desktop client. In the iOS (and I assume Android) app, you can access the Channel Directory in the "Channels" section. To my knowledge, the aTV client is not set up to access the Channel Directory and I don't know whether the Roku/Samsung/GTV clients are. What I suggest is, install the Plex Media Center (Desktop client) on the computer running Plex Media Server (or another one on the local network) and use the Channel Directory there to browse and install available channels.

There is a listing of all channels, including those that are not necessarily available to your geographic region or hardware. You can browse it at nine.plugins.plexapp.com, but that's all you can do. There is a login option for the limited number of folks who administer the Channel Directory but it won't do anyone else any good to try that. As I recall, the channel listings there may claim that you can install them by clicking on a link on the page but, I don't think that actually works.

If you are having trouble with one or more channels, check here first.
If you are asked to provide logs, which you will be if you are having plugin problems, the help center has details on where to find them.
***************************************************************************************************************************************
Check out unofficial channels in the
UnSupported AppStore
Follow my efforts on Github and Twitter
Donate

#3 jeremy9174

jeremy9174

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

The list of available channels is accessed via the "Channel Directory" menu in the desktop client. In the iOS (and I assume Android) app, you can access the Channel Directory in the "Channels" section. To my knowledge, the aTV client is not set up to access the Channel Directory and I don't know whether the Roku/Samsung/GTV clients are. What I suggest is, install the Plex Media Center (Desktop client) on the computer running Plex Media Server (or another one on the local network) and use the Channel Directory there to browse and install available channels.

There is a listing of all channels, including those that are not necessarily available to your geographic region or hardware. You can browse it at nine.plugins.plexapp.com, but that's all you can do. There is a login option for the limited number of folks who administer the Channel Directory but it won't do anyone else any good to try that. As I recall, the channel listings there may claim that you can install them by clicking on a link on the page but, I don't think that actually works.

Awesome, great info! Thanks!

#4 whetstone

whetstone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:54 PM

The list of available channels is accessed via the "Channel Directory" menu in the desktop client.

This is news to me that Plex can serve live streams (I'm a newbie). I'm running Plex Media Center on same PC as Plex Media Server, but I don't see a "Channel Directory" menu (see screenshot below). If I click "TV Shows" menu under Add Media to Your Library, it prompts me to find media on my hard disk drive.

Please advise...

Attached Images

• Clipboard01.jpg

#5 Mikedm139

Mikedm139

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2896 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:48 AM

Your screenshot appears to be the Management webpage. To find the Channel Directory open the client a.k.a Plex Media Center.

If you are asked to provide logs, which you will be if you are having plugin problems, the help center has details on where to find them.
***************************************************************************************************************************************
UnSupported AppStore
Donate

#6 whetstone

whetstone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Your screenshot appears to be the Management webpage. To find the Channel Directory open the client a.k.a Plex Media Center.

Thanks. I see now that PMC is a separate program. I didn't install because I have no need for it. I use PMS to serve content to my Roku.

I found information in the Plex Wiki that explains where to find Plex Channels in the Roku menu. Referring to image at the bottom of the "Get Plex" page (http://plexapp.comgetplex/index.php), I was expecting to find some of the popular network and cable channels, but none were listed in my Plex Channels screen. In particular, I was looking for PBS. I'm guessing there are plug-ins I need to install. If so, where do I find those?

#7 Mikedm139

Mikedm139

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2896 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

Have you installed Plex Media Center now? It really is the best (only?) way to manage channels from your desktop computer. As long as you're located in the US, those channels will appear as possible downloads in the Channel Directory (in the Plex Media Center).

UnSupported AppStore
Donate

#8 whetstone

whetstone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

Have you installed Plex Media Center now? It really is the best (only?) way to manage channels from your desktop computer.

Thanks. I'll do that now. But it does seem counter-intuitive that the Plex desktop client would be required in order to to manage what I watch on my Roku. Seems like this functionality should have been provided in the PMS or via the Roku interface.

BTW, do any of the cable channels provide live streams, or are Plex Channels limited to selected video archives?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users