• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 ak47clown

ak47clown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:26 PM

This has been a problem that's been plaguing me since the beta versions and I've yet to resolve it. I've got a samung un58c8000 that I try and use to connect to my server. Sometimes it works great but usually after a few days i'll notice that it can't connect. When i try and automatically find the server again, it can't locate it and if i enter in the IP manually, the plex app loses all its menus and i need to uninstall. I believe part of the problem was my computer didn't have a static IP which i've since resolved but now I just cannot get the plex app to find the server. I don't have anything fancy for a network setup-just a netgear router hardwired to my tv and computer...

#2 Orca

Orca

Plex for Samsung Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

Not sure what is causing it, but seems it's not an app issue but rather something with your network.
I don't know how it was setup, maybe your ip addresses are not in the same range?
A common home network setup would use this:

Setup your computer and TV to have all network settings to automatic.
Setup your router to support DHCP. This function will handout IP numbers to connected devices within the range you set it to.
A common range would be 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.255. Make sure your router's IP address is not within this range, else start just after that.
Now you need to setup the DHCP reservations list to make sure the DCHP server always hands out the same IP addresses to the same devices.
Every device in you network has a network interface with an unique number called an MAC address. They look like this > 00:19:db:6d:6f:d0
Now find the MAC addresses on all your devices and enter them in the list while giving them an IP address within the range we setup earlier.
Example:
  • Your computer > 192.168.0.2 | 00:19:db:6d:6f:d0
  • Your TV > 192.168.0.3 | 00:25:e7:80:ed:61
etc..

Save your changes and restart your devices. From now on they will all get the assigned IP all the time.

If you are sure they are all in the same range and it still doesn't work, I would start looking for any Firewall that might be blocking the connection.

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

#3 luttjebo

luttjebo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

Having a PMS connection error as well. A bit different but none-the-less pretty irritating :-)

I start the Plex for Samsung client, go to TV Shows and start an episode (same with on-deck viewing). Takes a few seconds and then "Could not connect to your PMS". The app remains active and if I navigate to the same episode again it works like a charm. Everything connect wired, static IP and in case of failure static DHCP based on MAC addresses. No firewall.

This is what I pulled from the logs, not sure it is related. All I know is that there are no errors after this and the audio stream select, language select and episode Play progress starts to show up right after this so I'm assuming this is somewhere between my failed and successful attempt:
ug 13, 2012 21:59:26 [0x2800b] DEBUG - * X-Plex-Container-Start => 0
Aug 13, 2012 21:59:26 [0x2800b] DEBUG - * X-Plex-Container-Size => 20
Aug 13, 2012 21:59:26 [0x60019] DEBUG - Request: GET /photo/:/transcode?width=960&height=540&url=http%3A%2F%2F192.168.1.120%3A32400undefined&upscale=1 [192.168.1.32:42626] (2 live)
Aug 13, 2012 21:59:26 [0x60019] DEBUG - * width => 960
Aug 13, 2012 21:59:26 [0x60019] DEBUG - * height => 540
Aug 13, 2012 21:59:26 [0x60019] DEBUG - * url => http://192.168.1.120:32400undefined
Aug 13, 2012 21:59:26 [0x60019] DEBUG - * upscale => 1
Aug 13, 2012 21:59:26 [0x60019] DEBUG - Photo transcoder: Request for url [http://192.168.1.120:32400undefined] (is local: 0 upscaled: 1)
Aug 13, 2012 21:59:26 [0x60019] DEBUG - HTTP requesting to: http://192.168.1.120:32400undefined
Aug 13, 2012 21:59:26 [0x60019] ERROR - Error issuing curl_easy_perform(handle): 6
Aug 13, 2012 21:59:26 [0x60019] WARN - Error issuing request to: http://192.168.1.120:32400undefined (6, Couldn't resolve host name) (Couldn't resolve host '192.168.1.120:32400undefined')

#4 ak47clown

ak47clown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:10 AM

Thanks for the reply- I Tried everything you said Orca to no avail. I've reset everything and even deleted the plex app from my TV again and reinstalled. I'm attaching the two media server logs. Based on everything I'm seeing in them, it is at least seeing my media server properly but somehow, the app fails to connect. I do see an error in the .old log file but not quite sure what that means. Either way, still the same result. Auto discovery does not work and manually entering in the IP results in an unusable plex app (no menus, screens, etc..)

Attached Files

#5 Orca

Orca

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

I don't see anything wrong, have you tried to add the PMS manually on the TV?

With the risk of stating the obvious, here it goes:

• - Is your TV connected to the internet? If not, go through the connection wizard on your TV first, else it's never going to work.
  • - Make sure your PMS Server is up and running.
  • - Go to the Preferences in the app on TV.
  • - Now open the servers section
  • - Press the red button, choose add manually and enter 192.168.1.3 (that seems to be your server address in the logs)
  • - Hit the enter button and keep using the return button to go back to the main menu.
If that doesn't work the problem is really in your network and that is a bit beyond the support for the app i'm afraid.
Maybe you have a friend that could have a look at it?

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray

#6 Orca

Orca

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

Having a PMS connection error as well. A bit different but none-the-less pretty irritating :-)I start the Plex for Samsung client, go to TV Shows and start an episode (same with on-deck viewing). Takes a few seconds and then "Could not connect to your PMS". The app remains active and if I navigate to the same episode again it works like a charm. Everything connect wired, static IP and in case of failure static DHCP based on MAC addresses. No firewall.This is what I pulled from the logs, not sure it is related. All I know is that there are no errors after this and the audio stream select, language select and episode Play progress starts to show up right after this so I'm assuming this is somewhere between my failed and successful attempt

"Could not connect to your PMS" is the result of a network failure.
Either the App can't get information from the server (like when it's down) or the information is not delivered by the server in time (Time-Out error).
This last one can have many causes:
Your server may be asleep on the first attempt or discs need to spin up.
Your server may be too busy doing other things (backups, downloading?).
The network may be congested due to heavy network traffic (downloading?).
The router may not have enough open ports available
etc...

BTW the entry from the log is about a picture it requested but it does not seem to be available, it's not the thing that causes these delays.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray

#7 ak47clown

ak47clown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

Thanks again for your help...

1. TV is definitely connected to the internet. I'm able to connect to other samsung apps, yahoo widgets, etc...
2. PMS server is running. I've also restarted it a few times as well. As you noticed in the logs, it does appear that the app is communicating with it.
3. If I try and manually enter the PMS server, that's when things go South with the app. Once i exit from the preferences screen, all of the graphics and menus associated with the app completely disappear and will not reappear unless I remove the app and reinstall.

This evening I will uninstall everything again from the computer and TV and reinstall. This is typically my go to fix. Perhaps now that I've got the DHCP server properly configured and assigned each device in my setup a specific IP that I'll have a more reliable solution. The thing that bugs me is that the log is clearly seeing 192.168.1.3 as the server and communicating with it yet the app fails to recognize the server...

Is there anywhere in the server configuration that holds the port in memory? Only thing I can think is that if my server port gets reassigned, somewhere in the software it's trying to find the old port and can't resolve it...

#8 Orca

Orca

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

Thanks again for your help... 1. TV is definitely connected to the internet. I'm able to connect to other samsung apps, yahoo widgets, etc...2. PMS server is running. I've also restarted it a few times as well. As you noticed in the logs, it does appear that the app is communicating with it. 3. If I try and manually enter the PMS server, that's when things go South with the app. Once i exit from the preferences screen, all of the graphics and menus associated with the app completely disappear and will not reappear unless I remove the app and reinstall. This evening I will uninstall everything again from the computer and TV and reinstall. This is typically my go to fix. Perhaps now that I've got the DHCP server properly configured and assigned each device in my setup a specific IP that I'll have a more reliable solution. The thing that bugs me is that the log is clearly seeing 192.168.1.3 as the server and communicating with it yet the app fails to recognize the server... Is there anywhere in the server configuration that holds the port in memory? Only thing I can think is that if my server port gets reassigned, somewhere in the software it's trying to find the old port and can't resolve it...

The port to connect to needs to be 32400, any other port will not work with the current versions. Do you maybe have port forwarding rules in your router that could mess things up? Have you tried disabling any firewall or virus software that might interfear? B.t.w. nowhere in your log can I see it making connection to the app. if it connects you should see lines like : "Request: GET /photo/:/transcode?".

I would really like to help, but to be honest this hasn't anything to do with our app, it's clearly a network problem.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray

#9 ak47clown

ak47clown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

Well...I'm not arguing with you that it isn't a network issue but FWIW, I deleted the prefetch file for plex media server and instantly discovered the server. Did not change anything else, reset anything, etc... My router configuration has no port forwarding turned on or anything like that. I'll see-in a week if it still works I'll be happy and just assume that it was due to the fact that the IP addresses of my devices weren't static as I had thought they were! :)

#10 Orca

Orca

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:22 AM

Really? a prefetch file caused this?, interesting. Well I'm glad you got it to work :)

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray

#11 Zonediver

Zonediver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

Had the same problem 2mins ago. Played with the DLNA, and for some reason, Plex was no longer able to find the Server >>> connection error.
After restart the server (v0.9.6.7), everything is working again - strange

#12 luttjebo

luttjebo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

"Could not connect to your PMS" is the result of a network failure.
Either the App can't get information from the server (like when it's down) or the information is not delivered by the server in time (Time-Out error).
This last one can have many causes:
Your server may be asleep on the first attempt or discs need to spin up.
Your server may be too busy doing other things (backups, downloading?).
The network may be congested due to heavy network traffic (downloading?).
The router may not have enough open ports available
etc...

BTW the entry from the log is about a picture it requested but it does not seem to be available, it's not the thing that causes these delays.

Don't have any network issues and I think my main problem is that I cannot remember what it is that i have changed as it has worked fine :-)

All I know is that I have been experimenting with IPv6 and have had a lot of issues with dual stack setups (PC's loosing HTTP sessions to the Synology etc etc). It seems that Plex does not have a hybrid stack so only listens to the Syno's IPv4 address. I have now disabled all IPv6 autoconfiguration options but to no avail.

I will try and investigate further. I have to admit that the issues only happen on the Samsung D series I own. Not on IOS devices and not on the beta-beta E series client I run on my BD-E8300. Again, everything is wired and the Syno is a DS1511 which is a pretty fast machine as long as you don't transcode. Drives are not spinning down and I'm using a 5 disk RAID5 setup so it's very fast. Watching a 24Gb mkv still allows me to do a file copy with 90Mb/s read or write.

Again, will try and investigate as soon as something comes to mind :-)

#13 ak47clown

ak47clown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

yeah...i'm back to square one again. Static IP addresses on everything and double checked them. The workaround, which I've now verified twice is deleting the plex prefetch files and restarting the server. The only partial cause i can figure out right now is it seems to happen when my computer unexpectedly shuts down (power outage)...

#14 Anri

Anri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

I have samsung smart tv U55ES8000 and all time when put on I see
the same - can not conect to the server . Tell me please how to fix
this problem

Thanks

#15 Orca

Orca

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

I have samsung smart tv U55ES8000 and all time when put on I see the same - can not conect to the server . Tell me please how to fix this problem Thanks

Search is your friend.. your model is not supported yet.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray

#16 dunebuggy

dunebuggy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:04 AM

Having a PMS connection error as well. A bit different but none-the-less pretty irritating :-)

I start the Plex for Samsung client, go to TV Shows and start an episode (same with on-deck viewing). Takes a few seconds and then "Could not connect to your PMS". The app remains active and if I navigate to the same episode again it works like a charm. Everything connect wired, static IP and in case of failure static DHCP based on MAC addresses. No firewall.

I just wanted to mention that I am having the exact same problem as you, also on a Samsung TV using the Plex app. And the problem never occurs on any other device, e.g. iPhone over the same WiFi network.

Some TV show episodes work fine all the time, but others experience this problem where I try to play them - but I get the "Could not connect to your PMS" error on the first go and am returned to the main screen. Then I just select the same video a second time - and it plays fine.

So I suspect this problem might be that the Samsung Plex app is somehow less forgiving, and doesn't wait long enough for the server to start sending it data, before it times out. Or it just forgets where to find the data, and we need to go through this process of trying once - failing - and trying again, by which time the server and TV have shaken hands again.

#17 Orca

Orca

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

If one of you could make another logfile, and reproduce the problem, then we could check if this is all one and the same problem.

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray

#18 luttjebo

luttjebo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

If one of you could make another logfile, and reproduce the problem, then we could check if this is all one and the same problem.

So sorry, was under the impression I was the only one so I figured that I just need to reinstall some day. We have had several PMS updates but the problem is still there. I use Plex a lot and I own a 55D7000, a 40D7000 and a 32D6500 all of which have this problem. As mentioned before, the Apple client, the Windows client, the IOS clients (iPad/iPad3/4S), and the BD-E8300 do NOT have this problem ever !

Also, you are asking the reproduce the issue which is not going to be a problem. We are talking daily here on small mkv HD series and DVD to mp4 rips. Haven't really tested with larger movies as I don't watch movies that often.

Nice to read the topic is still open. I will try and see if I larger movies have the issue as well and/if it is related to format. Please let me know what logfiles you like to have and where you want them. Everything is stored on Synology NAS so I can PM you account details to simply get them if you like/if they are to large to post.

#19 luttjebo

luttjebo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

So sorry, was under the impression I was the only one so I figured that I just need to reinstall some day. We have had several PMS updates but the problem is still there. I use Plex a lot and I own a 55D7000, a 40D7000 and a 32D6500 all of which have this problem. As mentioned before, the Apple client, the Windows client, the IOS clients (iPad/iPad3/4S), and the BD-E8300 do NOT have this problem ever !

Also, you are asking the reproduce the issue which is not going to be a problem. We are talking daily here on small mkv HD series and DVD to mp4 rips. Haven't really tested with larger movies as I don't watch movies that often.

Nice to read the topic is still open. I will try and see if I larger movies have the issue as well and/if it is related to format. Please let me know what logfiles you like to have and where you want them. Everything is stored on Synology NAS so I can PM you account details to simply get them if you like/if they are to large to post.

Don't know what happened or what changed but the problem can no longer be reproduced. Not joking. Haven't seen it since I wrote the previous post. Have had the problem for 2 months, updated Plex, ran a code upgrade for Synology, rebooted a few times, problem always remained. Now all of a sudden, gone.

All I do know is that I have fiddled with my multicast settings on the firewall (Sonicwall NSA240) but than again, Plex and TV's are all on the same subnet. Trying to get Plex to multicast via VPN. Still cannot think of a reason why but it has to have something to do with multicasting.

If it's multicasting, can you think if a reason why the App is always loaded and only fails a first play attempt ? Every second attempt has always worked. Plex on Samsung is not using multicasting right ?

#20 Orca

Orca

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2541 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

No we don't use multicast. It seems that your firewall would not allow to establish a good connection the first time, but I'm just guessing there.
Glad you got it to work now, but I know the feeling when it is fixed, but you don't know why :)

My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users