• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

Specs:

i7 2600K
16GB DDR3
GTX560ti
Movies stored on a single 2TB WD Caviar Black HDD

Connected to GB LAN which is negated by the Xbox only having 10/100.

Issue:

Playing high bitrate MKV's cause extreme stuttering/lag.
I have tried multiple MKV source and compared only against .avi as I have no MP4 or other formats to test on.

Movie will start to play after what seems to be a few seconds of buffering and within <10 seconds the movie will stop, the loading bar will start, it will buffer ~10 seconds worth of movie and it will start all over.

I have adjust the quality and set it default, 1080p at 20,12 and 10Mbps. I now realize I should set it for 720p as that is the max output for the Xbox but what else can I do to stop the stuttering/buffering/lag issue?

#2 commonperson@gmail.com

commonperson@gmail.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

Issue:

Playing high bitrate MKV's cause extreme stuttering/lag.
I have tried multiple MKV source and compared only against .avi as I have no MP4 or other formats to test on.

Movie will start to play after what seems to be a few seconds of buffering and within <10 seconds the movie will stop, the loading bar will start, it will buffer ~10 seconds worth of movie and it will start all over.

I have adjust the quality and set it default, 1080p at 20,12 and 10Mbps. I now realize I should set it for 720p as that is the max output for the Xbox but what else can I do to stop the stuttering/buffering/lag issue?

I have the same issues any help would be really appreciated.
Matt Ardill

I'm a professional cynic,
But my heart's not in it.
~Blur
Country House

#3 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

Can you;

- Restart your PMS servers
- Play the files that cause the stutters, make sure they are stuttering
- Upload your Plex Media Server.log files -> http://wiki.plexapp....#Plex_Log_Files
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#4 Pantaloons

Pantaloons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

Sorry for the very late reply, I just bought a house and the work keeps piling up.

I restarted the physical machine and the software, I started the same MKV and noticed the same issue.

One of the log files is over 100MB so I am uploading them on media fire.

DLNA Server Log http://www.mediafire...erk4u4eye878alh

Plex Media Server Log http://www.mediafire...deakif81k58mic4

Plex Log http://www.mediafire...cnua2eeaj0dsa6z

#5 commonperson@gmail.com

commonperson@gmail.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

Anyone have any ideas on this? It's hitting me as well and it's pretty painful can't watch most of my shows (downed my 360 to 720p and things still choke). Thanks!

Sorry for the very late reply, I just bought a house and the work keeps piling up.

I restarted the physical machine and the software, I started the same MKV and noticed the same issue.

One of the log files is over 100MB so I am uploading them on media fire.

DLNA Server Log http://www.mediafire...erk4u4eye878alh

Plex Media Server Log http://www.mediafire...deakif81k58mic4

Plex Log http://www.mediafire...cnua2eeaj0dsa6z

Matt Ardill

~Blur
Country House

#6 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:56 AM

Does it stop stuttering if you kick the transcode quality way down?

Does it stop stuttering if you try direct-playable content instead of transcoding?

#7 blatantsubtext

blatantsubtext

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

By stuttering, do you mean the playback looks slow/barely out of sync? I had this issue a couple of months back (http://forums.plexap...hoppy-playback/). Still have it actually. I think what we determined then is that the ffmpeg has really poor VC1/WMV encoding on-the-fly, and the xbox has poor support for streaming H.264. I've barely looked into it since then, however.

#8 commonperson@gmail.com

commonperson@gmail.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

It doesn't drop the quality it just stutters rebuffs ring and then drops out (and some times spontaneously starts saying the format is not supported) I've not tried changing to direct though. I'll try that and let you know.
Matt Ardill

~Blur
Country House

#9 Hawkeye426

Hawkeye426

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

I'm also having this issue... any help would be hot.

#10 Sun Of Man

Sun Of Man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

I used to struggle with all of the MKV Stuttering on my 360 as well.

But after reading up on what the 360 actually supports:

XBOX 360 Supported Formats

I decided to switch everything to MP4, encoded with the proper Video & Audio Profiles and Bit Rates.

Now, I'm streaming all my 1080p media successfully with no stuttering and looking amazing.

So, unless there is a specific feature of the MKV container that you need, you might want to consider doing the same.

#11 blatantsubtext

blatantsubtext

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

The biggest disadvantage is that he's dealing with high-bitrate MKVs. For instance, I use MakeMKV to create bit-for-bit stream rips of my blurays and dvds. Reencoding to mp4 would just introduce another version and subsequent loss of quality. And BD's can easily have bitrates of 25+mbs- well over what the Xbox would like to stream directly.

And re-encoding is a lengthy expenditure, as I'm sure you're aware.

This shouldn't matter, but is it an old 360 or a slim one?

#12 commonperson@gmail.com

commonperson@gmail.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

The funny/annoying thing is I only have this problem with my 360. My Samsung Bluray player in the bedroom with the Plex client installed plays all these shows fine (over a crappy G class wifi connection that's spotty at best). The solution of remuxing terabytes of video (or even gigabytes) isn't really an easy one given the time sink. It's a shame but it looks like this may just be a limitation of this generation of Xbox devices.
Matt Ardill

~Blur
Country House

#13 blatantsubtext

blatantsubtext

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

According to the logs you uploaded, that's still transcoding 1920x1080 (well, 800, but that's probably a crop for widescreen) and it's a 12mb bitrate. If your settings were supposed to be on 720 and 8mb/s, it's definitely not getting transcoded that way.

Anyway, with that computer for a server, you shouldn't have to worry about things not transcoding fast enough, so it's mostly the output bitrate compared to your network bandwidth, for sure. It is reporting that it's buffering for a really long time. That does seem odd, but the server logs aren't reporting any erros.. Checked all your LAN cables? Are you sure the Xbox's network port is actually functioning at a solid speed? Is the xbox connected to the GB lan directly or is it going through another hub or even a powerline adapter?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users