• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OnlyHuman

OnlyHuman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

OK, after some frustration trying to get my TV shows to show up properly in Plex I am determining it must be my organizational method. What I have is, 'C:\TV Shows\Show Name\Season #\episode # and title. I suspect that they are not showing up because I do not repeat the name of the show in the name of the file. Could that be what is going on? I don't want to change all these file names to find out that it is something else entirely. Also, is there some kind of program out there that will allow me to change the name of a mass of files? I use mediamonkey to change the titles of my music, but I am not sure that will work for video files.

Lastly, is there a plexapp addon I could use? I am still new to Plex and just discovered there are some kind of addons people use in Plex, what are a few good apps and is there somewhere explaining how to install them and use them?

Thanks for any help!
Andrew

#2 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

OK, after some frustration trying to get my TV shows to show up properly in Plex I am determining it must be my organizational method. What I have is, 'C:\TV Shows\Show Name\Season #\episode # and title. I suspect that they are not showing up because I do not repeat the name of the show in the name of the file. Could that be what is going on? I don't want to change all these file names to find out that it is something else entirely. Also, is there some kind of program out there that will allow me to change the name of a mass of files? I use mediamonkey to change the titles of my music, but I am not sure that will work for video files.

Lastly, is there a plexapp addon I could use? I am still new to Plex and just discovered there are some kind of addons people use in Plex, what are a few good apps and is there somewhere explaining how to install them and use them?

Thanks for any help!
Andrew

Hi,

You can find the recommended naming guide here -> http://wiki.plexapp....anization_Guide

You may need to use either a deep scan, or a full refresh once you have named them depending on how you have them stored for them to be detected -> http://wiki.plexapp....eshing_Sections

There are many apps which can auto rename, epNamer, TheRenamer and Sickbeard (which is a lot more than just a renamer) are the ones i have come across.
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#3 OnlyHuman

OnlyHuman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

OK, I renamed everything and rescanned. Plex STILL thinks I have a show in here called, 'The Season', it MUST be thinking this because of my Season folders? This is retarded. I deleted my old TV show folder (How i met your mother), and tried a new one (Big Bang Theory) after renaming everything to the names that Plex likes...STILL thinks I have a show in here called 'The Season'. What the heck, thought this media server was friendly, growing more aggravating the more I try to customize it.

Could you point me to a good forum that talks about, and explains the apps you can use in Plex?

#4 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

OK, I renamed everything and rescanned. Plex STILL thinks I have a show in here called, 'The Season', it MUST be thinking this because of my Season folders? This is retarded. I deleted my old TV show folder (How i met your mother), and tried a new one (Big Bang Theory) after renaming everything to the names that Plex likes...STILL thinks I have a show in here called 'The Season'. What the heck, thought this media server was friendly, growing more aggravating the more I try to customize it.

Could you point me to a good forum that talks about, and explains the apps you can use in Plex?

How exactly do you have the section setup?

i.e.

M:\Media\TV Shows\Big Bang Theory\Season 1\Big Bang Theory - S01E01.ext

and M:\Media\TV Shows should be the directory added to your section, it sounds like you may be adding each show individually to the section - which is why its getting confused.

Apps = Channel Directory, you can view them all in the client.
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2

#5 OnlyHuman

OnlyHuman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:09 AM

That is exactly what happened. Had to put them all in a root of 'TV Shows'. Now the only thing confusing me is how come all of the 'TV Show themes' are not being added to my client? I realize I can go in and add the music, banners, and stuff individually, but I am thinking I am missing something relatively simple? In preferences I do have 'Plex themes' checked off, could it have been missed?

Thanks so much for your help.

#6 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

That is exactly what happened. Had to put them all in a root of 'TV Shows'. Now the only thing confusing me is how come all of the 'TV Show themes' are not being added to my client? I realize I can go in and add the music, banners, and stuff individually, but I am thinking I am missing something relatively simple? In preferences I do have 'Plex themes' checked off, could it have been missed?

Thanks so much for your help.

try doing a full refresh on the section.

#7 OnlyHuman

OnlyHuman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

Is a full refresh considered just hitting the button on the lower right corner of the folder in question, or erasing everything and bringing back again?

#8 OnlyHuman

OnlyHuman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

I found how to do 'deep scan' and 'force scan', trying them, will see what happens,

Thanks again.

#9 OnlyHuman

OnlyHuman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:31 AM

That doesn't seem to be working. I even went into every folder and made sure that all users were allowed to change and modify these folders.

Is there anywhere online I can easily install these themes directly into my folders?

Is there a channel or plex addon that I need to pick up to make this easier?

#10 OnlyHuman

OnlyHuman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:51 AM

OK, on my iPad the theme music plays just fine.

However, my Roku will be the one playing the most media...and that, sadly, is not working.

Does this piece of the puzzle help anyone determine possibly why the Roku will not play the TV Show theme music, but iPad does?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users