• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 andromedanevel

andromedanevel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

I've just started to use Plex on my Ubuntu 11.04 computer to be able to stream video to my Galaxy S3. Everything worked more or less right out of the box and I'm able to watch movies on my phone. But movies with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 are stretched to full screen. The button to correct this does not work. However if I turn off HLS then the aspect ratio is fine but I have the feeling that the quality of the video is a bit less. This only happens when the video is transcoded.

Any fix on this?

Edit: 4:3 movies are stretched to fit the width while 2.35:1 movies are squished to fit the height. While if I use direct play, the aspect ratio is always correct. Only on transcode with HLS on does this happen. Please, what can I do about it? Many 1080p movies are unwatchable without transcoding, and 4:3 stuff now have no subs because of direct play.

#2 andromedanevel

andromedanevel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

BUMP!

Apparently I'm the only one suffering from this bug? Please, if anybody has a good suggestion to fix this in either the setting or whatever, I would like to know.

#3 phaest

phaest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

BUMP!

Apparently I'm the only one suffering from this bug? Please, if anybody has a good suggestion to fix this in either the setting or whatever, I would like to know.

I'm having the same issue. Just as you said, it affects HLS playback.

#4 cf1

cf1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

I am having the same problem, also only on my Galaxy S3. And since recently videos do not play at all when turning off HLS (it used to work before; not sure if it was a Plex upgrade or the recent update to Android 4.1.1 that broke it).

#5 fredespi

fredespi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Same here. International s3. Direct play has good aspect ratio but then dts audio does not work. With transcoding aspect ratio is very much off.

#6 joje

joje

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

Anyone else got the same that if you choose 8Mbps the aspect ratio seems fine, but anything less and its fullscreen again?

#7 cf1

cf1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Yes, I can confirm that. At 8 MBps or higher the aspect ratio is fine.

#8 mlavallieres

mlavallieres

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Same here on a note 2... its an encoding or a playing problem?

#9 craig0

craig0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

Same problem on galaxy note 2. Hope this gets fixed soon

#10 darrin

darrin

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2062 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Hey gang - I don't THINK anything like this would've been fixed but since we don't have these devices on hand would one of you be so kind as to give the latest release a shot: We just released a new version of Plex for Android (v2543). Please upgrade to the latest client, check that you're running a recent version of Plex Media Server and give it another try. Let us know if you're still having issues!
Please visit the Android FAQ for network troubleshooting tips and if you're not sure how to Capture a Logcat and Caputre a Plex Media Server.log. To ensure a prompt reply - please always include a link back to the topic you're writing about!!

Follow me (darrin) on twitter for Android and Google TV related goodness.

Thanks!
-Darrin

#11 cf1

cf1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

I just tried the new version and everything seems to work now on my Galaxy S3. Thank you.

The only remaining aspect ratio issue I have is on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, where some 4:3 videos (which are playing fine on the S3) are stretched to full screen.

#12 tingko

tingko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:55 AM

Problem remained for Galaxy Note 2 with the latest Android client (v2543)
4:3 ratio video still stretched.

#13 jarius

jarius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:23 AM

Yeah me too galaxy note 2 aspect ratio not right for both the new client and the old one.

#14 jarius

jarius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

I would love for this to work with the right aspect ratio on the nice big screen of the samsung note 2. Is there something I can do to help the developers debug this?

For some movies 8mbps and above has the right aspect ratio and anything below is wrong. But for other movies, always wrong no matter the setting. The same shows work correctly on my galaxy nexus at all settings.

Usually it's my old 4:3 tv shows that get stretched.

I was hoping the new android client wouldn't have the problem, but it's the same.

sadpanda

#15 jarius

jarius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

http://xkcd.com/1187/

• tingko likes this

#16 genoist

genoist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

I have the same issue with the current version on my Note 2. If I'm at home and can use direct play, it works fine. It only happens while transcoding.

They play fine on my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1.

#17 jarius

jarius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:32 AM

I've been mucking around with the profile xml files with no luck. so sad. I emailed the support address weeks ago with no response. What does it take to get someone's attention? The note 2 is only the best android phone ever made.

#18 jarius

jarius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

Strangely, copy the temporary transcode *.ts file and playing it in plex home movies has the correct aspect ratio.