#1 rnio

rnio

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:27 AM

PLEX is great !

Now that I got the new apple mini hooked up and configured to run PLEX; after getting my videos all show up nicely within the MOVIES section ...

... I got hit with a "HAMMER" by my wife: How do you block access to the RATED-R movies?

Here is what I found / did:

Setup USER profiles (need PM Skin for this) and designate one just to the kids. Sharing the library seam not to work properly ... so I just copied the files and folders in the USERS directory accordingly.

Now I have TWO profiles ... one for the kids ... one for the adults.

Next I created an alphanumeric MASTER-LOCK for the adult profile (this is needed to enter the profile when PLEX starts).

The KIDS account can now be locked using this same master-lock pw. I did disable all sections but FAVORITES.

Unfortunately I was not able to just lock movies or the video section ... there is only one lock for both.

At least its kind of working now ... however here are some suggestions / requests for improvement beside a full fledged PARENTAL CONTROL implementation:

REQUEST:

As I understand this, this is more a function of the SKIN than a function of PLEX?! Mediastream being an integral part of PLEX ... ==> thus the post here:

- Create a FILTER based on RATINGS, which is lockable using the profile locking mechanism. For me this is only needed in the MOVIES section; however one would need the ability to lock not just all VIDEO sections but the individual ones too (e.g. Video / Movies / TV)

- Be able to BROWSE the FAVORITES section using the same views as in the VIDEO / MOVIES section .... I guess this is not that easy as the favorite section has all kind of media in it?!

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Robert

#2 jayman978

jayman978

Plex Dev Team

• Plexville Red Sox Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4559 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:42 PM

Hi Robert,

As a parent with two young kids this is something that I've had discussions with the Devs about several times. One part of future library enhancements will be a more robust parental control module that will allow for more control not only on the source level but on the individual movie level. Not all PG movies are created equally these days for the younger ones :) Thank you for the suggestions.

#3 mkopel

mkopel

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:18 PM

As a parent with two youngsters myself, I appreciate the effort that is going on with future enhancements to Parental Controls. In the meantime, I am using a similiar setup as rnio. Basically:
1. Separate the sources into two shares on the NAS: parents and kids
2. two user profiles: kids (no password), parents (password)
3. lock down everything possible on the kids user account (only access movies/tv/music/pictures)

the separate shares lets me guarantee that they will not have access to anything they shouldn't.

I would be interested in beta-testing any builds with improved parental controls, please let me know if I can help.

#4 Jam

Jam

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4042 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

There have been no new parental control features implemented yet, so there's nothing to beta test - it's all conceptual at this stage :)

#5 jayman978

jayman978

Plex Dev Team

• Plexville Red Sox Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4559 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

There have been no new parental control features implemented yet, so there's nothing to beta test - it's all conceptual at this stage :)

Hopefully all of our kids aren't old enough to watch R rated movies before this come out...eh James :P
(Just a little good natured ribbing between friends)

#6 poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:01 AM

First trick is to be able to tag shows.

This one is R, This one is PG. This one is HD, this one is SD. Then a filter system can fix not only the parental issue, but the "what happens when I have an HD and SD copy of a file" as well...

#7 jayman978

jayman978

Plex Dev Team

• Plexville Red Sox Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4559 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:22 AM

First trick is to be able to tag shows.

This one is R, This one is PG. This one is HD, this one is SD. Then a filter system can fix not only the parental issue, but the "what happens when I have an HD and SD copy of a file" as well...

Ladies and gentleman...you just witnessed the rare feat of being on topic and off topic at the same time :)

#8 ClunkClunk

ClunkClunk

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:42 AM

It's not as much of a turn key solution as I'd like, but what about using the Mac's user accounts to separate the adults from the kids? Since there's nothing inside of Plex to separate your films, you can leverage something the OS provides.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users