5 replies to this topic

#1 Segran

Segran

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

I'm getting "Cannot load m3u8: 404 not found" error messages in the web client when playing files that work even on my iPad. Why?

#2 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

I'm getting "Cannot load m3u8: 404 not found" error messages in the web client when playing files that work even on my iPad. Why?

The web client currently does not support direct play, it transcodes everything.
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#3 Segran

Segran

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

OK, No that I will use the web client for playing files, but transcoding seems to be essential to Plex server and aclients, more so than my DLNA alternatives. To get the indeed very nice GUI on things and the very elaborate movie meta data - not offered by minidlna - I am seriously thinking of getting a Mac Mini to do the server stuff, hardwired to a router with my ReadyNas as storage.

In the requirement you set up for an OSX based server it mentions Nvidia 9400 GT320 for hw .h264 encoding. This is perhaps a silly question, but hw encoding used by PMS when transcoding?

It's the difference between 250 EUR for a used Mac Mini with Intel graphics or 400 EUR for a used one with Nvidia 9400 that makes me ask...

I have beefy PC lying around, but it sounds like a 747 when it encodes and does havoc to my electricity bill, so that is ruled out...
:rolleyes:

#4 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

OK, No that I will use the web client for playing files, but transcoding seems to be essential to Plex server and aclients, more so than my DLNA alternatives. To get the indeed very nice GUI on things and the very elaborate movie meta data - not offered by minidlna - I am seriously thinking of getting a Mac Mini to do the server stuff, hardwired to a router with my ReadyNas as storage.

In the requirement you set up for an OSX based server it mentions Nvidia 9400 GT320 for hw .h264 encoding. This is perhaps a silly question, but hw encoding used by PMS when transcoding?

It's the difference between 250 EUR for a used Mac Mini with Intel graphics or 400 EUR for a used one with Nvidia 9400 that makes me ask...

I have beefy PC lying around, but it sounds like a 747 when it encodes and does havoc to my electricity bill, so that is ruled out...
:rolleyes:

Transcoding wont use the GPU at all, it's purely CPU - where did you see that requirement for Nvidia chips for encoding?

The Plex Media Center client will make use of those GPU's for decoding.
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2

#5 Segran

Segran

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

Transcoding wont use the GPU at all, it's purely CPU - where did you see that requirement for Nvidia chips for encoding?

The Plex Media Center client will make use of those GPU's for decoding.

Sorry - I meant decoding as it says here:

http://wiki.plexapp....ments#Streaming
But I am more than a bit confused with encoding-decoding-transcoding. I thought a transcoder was decoding a file/stream in one format and then encoding it to a new file/stream in a different format?

If I read you right, an old 2GHz 2GB Mac Mini with Intel graphics would be powerful enough to Plex Media Server as the one and only task?

#6 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Sorry - I meant decoding as it says here:

http://wiki.plexapp....ments#Streaming
But I am more than a bit confused with encoding-decoding-transcoding. I thought a transcoder was decoding a file/stream in one format and then encoding it to a new file/stream in a different format?

If I read you right, an old 2GHz 2GB Mac Mini with Intel graphics would be powerful enough to Plex Media Server as the one and only task?

Yes, transcoding is a decoding from format A, and then encoding to format B - but it does not make use of the GPU for either (process wise, it is not as nicely "split up" as that - it's all happening at once)

CPU wise, depends on what media you want to transcode -> http://wiki.plexapp....ant_to_watch.3F

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users