7 replies to this topic

#1 dellenty

dellenty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

Hi Guys

I use plex on three macs in our house all connecting to my MacPro server. I have set up a python script to wake the server via the scripts menu which works some times but not always (the script buggy not plex) but isn't the easiest thing to select in the menu system.

I was wondering if you would consider adding this as a feature. You could even ad it as your fist "green" feature as we could all set our computers to sleep more often and save the planet a bit more ;)

How i would like to see this work

A setting in to enable Wake on lan
A setting to set the mac address
A setting to send WOL on plex launch
A setting to send WOL on plex wake from sleep
A setting to send WOL on network/share connect

Currently plex just ignores shares it cant find :(

Cheers
Andrew

--
MacPro 2.66 Quad, MacBookPro 15" iMac 24", MacMini, ATV2, Iphone 4, iPad . . . . Apple Fanboy? YES

#2 dellenty

dellenty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

PS for the moment there is also an iphone/ipod app called remoteboot

This wakes computers with the WOL ability very reliably. (on an Local network)

:rolleyes:
MacPro 2.66 Quad, MacBookPro 15" iMac 24", MacMini, ATV2, Iphone 4, iPad . . . . Apple Fanboy? YES

#3 joshua

joshua

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

i know it's an old msg but i'd love this feature as well. my windows7 box is used purely to DL and stream my movies to my MacMini/Plex setup. I'd love a way to have plex send a wake on lan signal to my windows 7 box. Any thoughts?

#4 wkearney99

wkearney99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:02 PM

It's generally consider a bad idea to put server machines to sleep. For just this sort of reason. In most situations the client machines aren't expected to be controlling the wake/sleep status of a server.

Here's a thought, you probably have a rough idea what times you use this stuff. How about setting the server to wake itself up during those times? Or set up a script on the client machines that does it. Cron works wonders for this sort of thing. Worst case you wake it up more often than necessary. Something along the lines of a script that pings for the server's IP address and then uses WOL if no ping responds.

#5 Armando

Armando

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:52 PM

being on the "green" side of things, i'm working on optimizing when my minis/plex machines are up and operational. one of the mini's is acting as a SMB server.

on the plex/mini acting as a server, i'm testing various scenarios using Faronics' PowerSave product on the server to automatically put the mini to sleep when no network activity is detected (no serving of files/downloading of files) and the CPU load is low (not watching a movie). the server mini also has eyetv running but will only "wake up the mini" if a show is scheduled to be recorded. i need to test if I or plex initiates a sleep request, if the powersave app can cancel the sleep request if the network traffic/cpu load conditions are met.

on the client plex/mini, there is a open source daemon for OSX that claims to initiate commands on sleeping and waking called "sleepwatcher." my logic is that once the client mini is awaken from sleep, that a WOL magic packet is sent to the server mini. so far, i haven't gotten sleepwatcher to perform the WOL command...i need to work on it.

#6 DyStiC

DyStiC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

on the client plex/mini, there is a open source daemon for OSX that claims to initiate commands on sleeping and waking called "sleepwatcher." my logic is that once the client mini is awaken from sleep, that a WOL magic packet is sent to the server mini. so far, i haven't gotten sleepwatcher to perform the WOL command...i need to work on it.

Any progress on this? i have a DiskStation NAS which support Wake-On-Lan and it would be great if Plex or OSX woke the NAS as soon as it was needed.

#7 miscarriage

miscarriage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

I'm also very interested in this feature!!!!

#8 Armando

Armando

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

never went back to this (never got it to work :()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users