• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yvonner

yvonner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

I have done a lot of installing and uninstalling in the last two days and I think I screwed something up that doesn't seem to be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling. Part of the problem is that at some point during the last day I decided to try to run PMS under Wine in Linux Mint. I have successfully backed out of that including uninstalling Wine but I have to start PMS manually at the command line.

I was considering creating my own Startup Application to make the server go, but I have found two ways (supposedly) to start the server and I don't know which one is correct or even if this would be the correct way to go about it.

So, if anyone is able to direct me, I would very much appreciate it. I am simply looking for PMS to start automatically when I log into my Linux install.

For those interested, these are the two ways although I only tried the first:

http://forums.plexap...ian-repository/
(using /usr/sbin/start_pms &)
http://samkear.com/l...er-funtoo-linux
(using /etc/init.d/plex-media-server start)

Thanks!

#2 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

I have done a lot of installing and uninstalling in the last two days and I think I screwed something up that doesn't seem to be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling. Part of the problem is that at some point during the last day I decided to try to run PMS under Wine in Linux Mint. I have successfully backed out of that including uninstalling Wine but I have to start PMS manually at the command line.

I was considering creating my own Startup Application to make the server go, but I have found two ways (supposedly) to start the server and I don't know which one is correct or even if this would be the correct way to go about it.

So, if anyone is able to direct me, I would very much appreciate it. I am simply looking for PMS to start automatically when I log into my Linux install.

For those interested, these are the two ways although I only tried the first:

http://forums.plexap...ian-repository/
(using /usr/sbin/start_pms &)
http://samkear.com/l...er-funtoo-linux
(using /etc/init.d/plex-media-server start)

Thanks!

try this to add it back to the startup config

sudo update-rc.d plexmediaserver defaults
for restarts

sudo restart plexmediaserver
you can also replace restart there with stop, start and status.
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#3 yvonner

yvonner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

try this to add it back to the startup config

sudo update-rc.d plexmediaserver defaults
for restarts

you can also replace restart there with stop, start and status.

Thank you! Unfortunately that didn't work. The update defaults ran without error but after restarting, the PMS is not up.

The link plexmediaserver in /etc/init.d points at /lib/init/upstart-job. I am not sure if that is correct. While

works without error, it doesn't actually start the server. I can't ps grep or attach to it from the manager. On the other hand

/usr/sbin/start_pms &

works. Any other thoughts?

#4 yvonner

yvonner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

Well I ended up fixing it by adding this command to a new startup program. It may not be the right way but it makes everything go and works correctly as far as I can tell.

/usr/sbin/start_pms &

#5 sadmanma3

sadmanma3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

thanx followeed your instructions and it worked just thought i would show appreciation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users