• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 windblown

windblown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

I just joined and started using Plex today. My need was to play video and music on my Sony Xperia, from my large collection. It works absolutely brilliantly. All media, whatever the format and size run on my phone smoothly.

I was just wondering if media server content can be shared with other users for streaming purposes. If so, how does this work in system terms and from a user point of view? I guess sharing users need a fair amount of bandwidth plus decent kit. I Use a quad core (64bit) W7 pc)for my Plex server. My router is a WNDR3700 v1 and my connection is 100Mb down 10Mb up, soon to be 120Mb/12Mb.

#2 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

I just joined and started using Plex today. My need was to play video and music on my Sony Xperia, from my large collection. It works absolutely brilliantly. All media, whatever the format and size run on my phone smoothly.

I was just wondering if media server content can be shared with other users for streaming purposes. If so, how does this work in system terms and from a user point of view? I guess sharing users need a fair amount of bandwidth plus decent kit. I Use a quad core (64bit) W7 pc)for my Plex server. My router is a WNDR3700 v1 and my connection is 100Mb down 10Mb up, soon to be 120Mb/12Mb.

Hi,

MyPlex is what you want -> http://wiki.plexapp....ndex.php/MyPlex

Each client can decide what bandwidth to stream at, and the CPU in your server will be used to transcode the media down to that bandwidth. With a quad core you should be fine unless you start simultaneously transcoding a bunch of 1080p media to multiple clients
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#3 windblown

windblown

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hi,

MyPlex is what you want -> http://wiki.plexapp....ndex.php/MyPlex

Each client can decide what bandwidth to stream at, and the CPU in your server will be used to transcode the media down to that bandwidth. With a quad core you should be fine unless you start simultaneously transcoding a bunch of 1080p media to multiple clients

Thanks. That is a useful link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users