1222 replies to this topic

#1 mikewhy

mikewhy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:36 AM

Imagine if all the media scattered around the internet could be found in one collection.
Movies and TV Shows, of late and of yore, at your fingertips.

Installation and all other information

QfNCYCP.png

Screenshot Tour

#2 mikewhy

mikewhy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:21 AM

I just added LetMeWatchThis.com/1channel.ch. no update necessary on your end.

#3 Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

Hey, this is g-r-e-a-t, mikewhy! Any chance of adding a search? Save favorites? Do you have a webpage?

- -
Plex client 2.6.7 channel on Roku 1 XD-S
Plex Media Server 0.9.9.7.429
Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

(updated from PMS 0.9.5.3 & Mac OS X 10.5.8 on Mar 17, 2014)
Firefox 28.0

MacBook Pro (5,2) "Mid 2009" — 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

#4 mikewhy

mikewhy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hey, this is g-r-e-a-t, mikewhy! Any chance of adding a search? Save favorites? Do you have a webpage?

Thank you!

Search is planned next, I've just got to figure out how to implement it.

Favorites maybe, I've thought about it but am not sold on the idea.

No personal website, I will put this plugin on github when I am proud enough of the code.

#5 Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for the reply, mikewhy, and looking forward to the search. On my Roku Plex client, the other Plex channels that have search seem to hook into some standard Roku API or something, because they all look alike, and have a list of recent search terms in a column list on the right. I use that list as a poor man's favorites, but the list isn't really long enough for that, because I have more favorites than won't roll-off the list. I'd like to take this opportunity to champion a favorites list, because I need it over & over every single day. It's basic functionality. Hope you'll reconsider and be sold on it! (I've heard that Plex used to have a standard favorites that all channels could access, but was taken out temporarily when it got broken by an update.)

- -

Firefox 28.0

#6 mikewhy

mikewhy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the reply, mikewhy, and looking forward to the search. On my Roku Plex client, the other Plex channels that have search seem to hook into some standard Roku API or something, because they all look alike, and have a list of recent search terms in a column list on the right. I use that list as a poor man's favorites, but the list isn't really long enough for that, because I have more favorites than won't roll-off the list. I'd like to take this opportunity to champion a favorites list, because I need it over & over every single day. It's basic functionality. Hope you'll reconsider and be sold on it! (I've heard that Plex used to have a standard favorites that all channels could access, but was taken out temporarily when it got broken by an update.)

To make sure we are on the same page, you're talking about the ability to mark a show as your favorite, and to have a separate menu item that leads to a list of them?

Unfortunately that's not how the server end of the plugin works.

I could, however, do it in a way so that your favorites are marked by a star or something in the various listings. It would slow things down depending on the number of favorites you have, unless there was some sort of authentication going on, which is somewhat outside the scope of all this. Plus I'm not comfortable with such sensitive information being passed to my server.

#7 Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

Exactly, mark a title as favorite, then have them all somewhere in a list together. Having favorites marked by a star or something in the various listings defeats the whole purpose of not having to excruciatingly dig down to them, or even remembering what one's favorites are in the first place! (It has to pass the "grandma test.") I'm not a programmer and don't know how the server end of the plugin works, but I'm just expressing the perhaps single most frustrating aspect of using *any* such Plex channel. Maybe it's just something that in principle can't be done in the absence of my aforementioned favorites feature being removed from Plex itself when it got broken by some update, but I'm just saying that being able to navigate quickly to one's daily-used titles ought to be among the topmost priorities for Plex. If not you, then the powers-that-be at Plex. This should be what Plex is all about: user-friendliness, functionality, ease-of-use! You hear us — all programmers? — it shouldn't be about your convenience; it should be about the end-user's convenience! ... Sounds like there's not going to be anything in your power to do about it, mikewhy, so just know that I'm very grateful for your SS Plex, and I'll be using it every day!

- -

Firefox 28.0

#8 mikewhy

mikewhy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

Exactly, mark a title as favorite, then have them all somewhere in a list together. Having favorites marked by a star or something in the various listings defeats the whole purpose of not having to excruciatingly dig down to them, or even remembering what one's favorites are in the first place! (It has to pass the "grandma test.") I'm not a programmer and don't know how the server end of the plugin works, but I'm just expressing the perhaps single most frustrating aspect of using *any* such Plex channel. Maybe it's just something that in principle can't be done in the absence of my aforementioned favorites feature being removed from Plex itself when it got broken by some update, but I'm just saying that being able to navigate quickly to one's daily-used titles ought to be among the topmost priorities for Plex. If not you, then the powers-that-be at Plex. This should be what Plex is all about: user-friendliness, functionality, ease-of-use! You hear us — all programmers? — it shouldn't be about your convenience; it should be about the end-user's convenience! ... Sounds like there's not going to be anything in your power to do about it, mikewhy, so just know that I'm very grateful for your SS Plex, and I'll be using it every day!

I think I've got a solution that may suffice, but it would be better described as a 'saved searches' menu. You select a show from your list of favorites then it sends out a search to the listing sources. It wouldn't be the fastest or cleanest thing (you'd get many duplicates), but you wouldn't have to drill through endless pages.

Your preferred way would require the server to maintain a list of every movie, show and episode it sees, and while yes it would be great, would also require an overhaul of the server. So that's on the back burner. Of another stove. In a different country.

#9 Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

You select a show from your list of favorites then it sends out a search to the listing sources. It wouldn't be the fastest or cleanest thing (you'd get many duplicates), but you wouldn't have to drill through endless pages.

That would be great! Actually, that's almost the way it works now in, e.g, the Let Me Watch This channel. On the Roku Plex client, at least, one types in the exact name of the title and the search usually lands right on it — or at worst only one or two away from a duplicate. Even better with your way, my list is in your channel, and I don't have to copy & paste my title from a text file on my computer into my Remoku software replacement for my Roku remote control! Please, by all means, if you can do this, do! Thanks!

- -

Firefox 28.0

#10 mikewhy

mikewhy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:05 PM

I've got another solution that would be quicker and provide a better experience (no duplicates) but it wouldn't search every source. I think I'll go this route and still put in the omni-search for the people that want more. Would something along these lines suffice?

This also requires an update to the plugin, which takes longer (off topic: is there any better way to test plex plugins than manually refreshing fiendish URLs in a browser window?). Tonight at best, tomorrow night at worst.

#11 Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

Yeah, sounds good... both kinds of search gives more choices for everybody's tastes!
Don't know how to answer your testing question — maybe a more seasoned developer will jump in — but PM me if you need a beta tester to work closely with you.

- -

Firefox 28.0

#12 mikewhy

mikewhy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:57 AM

Here is an update with Favorites, as requested.

you still have to drill down to a proper TV Show episode listing (as in things in 'latest' will not work), and it is possible for them to be overwritten. but still, it's there. let me know what you think!

EDIT - Download removed, see first post

#13 Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:16 AM

Just added a couple of Favorites. Wow! Looks good so far. Good work! Thanks!

Although the upcoming search function will be helpful, it's no big deal having to dig down to a title once to get it into Favorites, 'cause from then on it won't have to be repeated for frequently-accessed titles, especially TV series.

What does the "SS" stand for in SS Plex?

- -

Firefox 28.0

#14 mikewhy

mikewhy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:33 AM

What does the "SS" stand for in SS Plex?

technically, split-shift. it's a rubygem I've been working on in private for a while to pragmatically download files from online file hosting sites.

there is also:

ss-web : A webapp that can download TV at home by just pasting a URL.
ss-listings : A webapp that returns normalized lists from places like icefilms, watchseries and 1channel.
ss-plex : You're using it.

also, I always liked when boats were named 'SS ... '

#15 Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

– Can you alphabetize Favorites?
– Can't get past Page 1 in lmwt ("Content Unavailable"), both TV & Movies.

- -

Firefox 28.0

#16 mikewhy

mikewhy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

– Can you alphabetize Favorites?

1. Should be an easy fix.

2. I'll look into it. should be fixable on the other end.

I've submitted the app to the Unsupported App Store. I still have no artwork, but the repo is now public on github: https://github.com/m...dle/tree/stable

but the next update probably won't be until it is in the app store. hopefully with search as well.

Your input has been great so far. let me know if you think of anything else.

#17 mikewhy

mikewhy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

oversight on my behalf, apologies and fixed.

#18 mikewhy

mikewhy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

and favorites are sorted by name now.

#19 Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

I confirm that nested pages in lmwt now are working, but my Favorites still aren't sorted alphabetically. Is it only for Favorites added since the fix? (I don't mind starting over from scratch, 'cause like I said, it's a once-only exercise.)

- -

Firefox 28.0

#20 mikewhy

mikewhy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

It works for existing favorites, but the newest release (and all foreseeable releases) will be in the unsupported appstore

You can always download the 'stable' branch from github and install yourself. I'll add proper downloads to the github download section when home from work later this eve.

Attachments to random posts left a bad taste in my mouth

I made another snafu. Going past page 1 in any movie filter will take you to a TV listing. Will be fixed later

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tv, movies, streaming, downloading

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users