• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cjaym

cjaym

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

I'm having trouble with the Plex Media Manager not loading on the server PC. I have tried uninstalling the application, reinstalling it, updating it, and reverting it to 0.9.603, but the Web Interface just comes up blank gray. I am running win XP SP3, fully updated. The problem occurs in both Chrome and Internet Explorer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 yasue

yasue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

I'm having a similar issue using Windows 7 64bit. I just downloaded the Plex Server and myPlex yesterday. I made sure I had the current version of Flash and Silverlight. For good measure, I was going to add the Google Chrome Frame (even though I never use IE), but there isn't an option available for IE for 64bit. I can't get the Plex Media Manager to open at all from my desktop. In fact, I don't even get the option to open the Media Manager at all. The server shows up in my task manager. I've been able to get it to link to my Roku XD though.

Here are screenshots to clarify what's going on. First, showing that it's running according to the task manager.

Posted Image

And here's what I get when I right click on Plex Media Server from my start menu.

Posted Image

Any thoughts here?

#3 yasue

yasue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

I should add that opening Plex Media Server does nothing, even when I try to run it as admin.

#4 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

I'm having a similar issue using Windows 7 64bit. I just downloaded the Plex Server and myPlex yesterday. I made sure I had the current version of Flash and Silverlight. For good measure, I was going to add the Google Chrome Frame (even though I never use IE), but there isn't an option available for IE for 64bit. I can't get the Plex Media Manager to open at all from my desktop. In fact, I don't even get the option to open the Media Manager at all. The server shows up in my task manager. I've been able to get it to link to my Roku XD though.

Here are screenshots to clarify what's going on. First, showing that it's running according to the task manager.

Posted Image

And here's what I get when I right click on Plex Media Server from my start menu.

Posted Image

Any thoughts here?

You want to be clicking the icon that appears in your taskbar, down near the clock.
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#5 yasue

yasue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Same thing--only, no options at all there and it won't open anything. Here's what that looks like:

Posted Image

#6 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

Same thing--only, no options at all there and it won't open anything. Here's what that looks like:

Posted Image

keep going right.... that is a shortcut link, not the running app icon. It's with all the other running app icons..
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2

#7 yasue

yasue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thank you! I thought I could pull it up from the shortcut. /facepalm

#8 yasue

yasue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Why have the shortcut on the desktop in this case. Does it serve any function or should I just jettison it?

#9 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

Why have the shortcut on the desktop in this case. Does it serve any function or should I just jettison it?

If you are starting Media Server some other way, they you don't need the shortcut.

#10 joew

joew

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

I'm having trouble with the Plex Media Manager not loading on the server PC. I have tried uninstalling the application, reinstalling it, updating it, and reverting it to 0.9.603, but the Web Interface just comes up blank gray. I am running win XP SP3, fully updated. The problem occurs in both Chrome and Internet Explorer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am having the same problem with a new install today.

Win 7 x64

If someone helps you like it or mark it as solved. 

#11 sekngen

sekngen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:05 AM

Media Manager is definitely not loading on my desktop (I'm right-clicking the icon in my system tray unlike the OP), when I select Media Manager the browser is suppose to load correct?  It is not doing anything on my computer.  I even disabled my AV software and that is not changing anything. 

Any ideas?

#12 sa2000

sa2000

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6958 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

hi - what was the outcome of this?

I just started to have this problem after doing these changes:

1. moving PMS from an admin account to a standard windows user account with no administrator privileges. This is on windows 7. I did the following:

* Stopped the PMS Server (exiting in system tray icon)

* Copied c:\users\<olduserid>\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server   to    c:\users\<newuserid>\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server

* Started Plex Media Server in new user account. Reconfigured some aspects in settings that got lost

* Deleted c:\users\<olduserid>\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server

2. Renamed the PMS media server by changing its friendly name in settings

Now Media Manager button in system tray does nothing. Starting browser and going to http://127.0.0.1:32400/web works ok.

PMS server was not seen by other devices on the local network - but this got resolved by rebooting the windows 7 PMS machine. But clicking 'Media Manager' in PMS system tray icon still does nothing.

The 'Plex Media Server.log' file shows entry of 
ERROR - ShellExecuteExW(h) failed: 0x800401f5
The code means 'Application not found'
Could be some file association issue ? but why? This was a new user account - Internet Explorer was already installed. So for some reason clicking the 'Media Manager' link is not starting Internet Explorer and giving the above error.

#13 sa2000

sa2000

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6958 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

hi - what was the outcome of this?

I just started to have this problem after doing these changes:

1. moving PMS from an admin account to a standard windows user account with no administrator privileges. This is on windows 7. I did the following:

* Stopped the PMS Server (exiting in system tray icon)

* Copied c:\users\<olduserid>\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server   to    c:\users\<newuserid>\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server

* Started Plex Media Server in new user account. Reconfigured some aspects in settings that got lost

* Deleted c:\users\<olduserid>\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server

2. Renamed the PMS media server by changing its friendly name in settings

Now Media Manager button in system tray does nothing. Starting browser and going to http://127.0.0.1:32400/web works ok.

PMS server was not seen by other devices on the local network - but this got resolved by rebooting the windows 7 PMS machine. But clicking 'Media Manager' in PMS system tray icon still does nothing.

The 'Plex Media Server.log' file shows entry of 
ERROR - ShellExecuteExW(h) failed: 0x800401f5
The code means 'Application not found'
Could be some file association issue ? but why? This was a new user account - Internet Explorer was already installed. So for some reason clicking the 'Media Manager' link is not starting Internet Explorer and giving the above error.

Fixed - basically the new user account I created to run Plex Media Server in did not have a default browser defined. So it appears Microsoft does not set IE to be the default any more. So In windows 7, had to do Control Panel, Programs. Set your default programs and select the browser I normally use as the default. After that Media Manager loads ok from the system tray.

My other post on the subject http://forums.plexap...-icon/?p=428241

#14 Austin86

Austin86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

I to am having all these problems. Is this program new or something cause there sure is a hell of a lot of bugs. Even on the Plex Android app, out of all the channels I downloaded I think ive got one of the two videos to play and I have great internet connection and phone is pretty much top of the line. I don't know what im doing wrong?!?!?!? :wacko:

#15 Austin86

Austin86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

The only thing I can get to work is the videos I put in my queue.

I to am having all these problems. Is this program new or something cause there sure is a hell of a lot of bugs. Even on the Plex Android app, out of all the channels I downloaded I think ive got one of the two videos to play and I have great internet connection and phone is pretty much top of the line. I don't know what im doing wrong?!?!?!? :wacko:

#16 sa2000

sa2000

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6958 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

The only thing I can get to work is the videos I put in my queue.

Hi Austin - Should have created new topic in the forum appropriate to your issue - eg Plex for Android forum.

I discovered the Plex world about 3 weeks ago and I love it and there is a lot of help here on the forums. Suggest you summarise your problems in separate posts on the relevant forums. This topic is about 'Media Manager' not starting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users