Photo

Current Mac Client no stereo audio

Best Answer booblian, 29 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

Have just noticed exactly the same problem. Just happened today, similar circumstances, HDMI connected amp out of a mac mini and 5.1 sources play fine but 2 channel stereo material does not. I can hear the interface clicks also no problem.

I have not updated anything manually like system updates or plex updates in the last week. Running PMS 0.9.6.9.24 and the latest associated Plex mac client.

Similarly, 2-channel stuff audio plays in VLC just fine ... and videos with compatible codecs and 2-channel audio in quicktime just fine...

but not plex????

This happen spontaneously to anybody else's installation?

I'm the first to admit things like this are BKC errors [between chair and keyboard]... but I've touched nothing.

-j

!! UPDATE: I appear to have fixed my issue and it may address the problem for you too. Here's what I found...

1. Play one of the currently silent movies/clip/episodes in plex.

2. During playback, hit 'M' on the keyboard and navigate over to the audio options [looks like a little speaker symbol], then select that

3. Check the Volume value. Mine had been set somehow to -48Db.

4. If that value is lower than 0.0Db, turn that thing up and see if that brings 2-channel stereo stuff back to normal.

5. Profit.

good luck. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Azurewraith

Azurewraith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:34 AM

Hi all,
Having problems with my plex for the first time in years. I run the current server and client on a mac mini connected to a yamaha amp via HDMI that then connects to my LG tv again via HDMI.

2 days ago everything was fine. The ONLY thing on my mac mini is Plex client and server. I am running LION on the mini.

Now first up im not a mac guru. I have a i7 iMac i run windows thats how not mac i am. But the SFF of the mac mini is perfect for the home theater.

Anyway 2 days ago everything was working fine.

Now the system "clicks" when i change menu items, it plays tv show theme music when i select a series but if i play a show with 2 channels no audio.

If i pick a 5.1 movie or TV show it works fine but 2 channel is audioless. NOTE MKV AND AVI both with 2 channels loose audio.

Things done to try and get it back.

I checked quicktime and no audio for 2 channel files. But audio in "Divx for mac". I installed Perian codecs and still no sound in quicktime.

I uninstalled Divx and reinstalled Perian and now i have sound in quicktime for divx files.

So now all videos have sound if i use quicktime.

BUT if i play any divx avi or mkv file with 2 channel audio no sound.

Ive run out of ideas as to whats wrong.

Oh i also deleted the plex app from applications redownloaded it and still the same problems.

From an external pc running windows plex the system works just fine.

From my ipad and iphone plex works fine.

Its just the PLEX client on the mac that seems to have this problem.

Happy to try anything at this stage.

Thanks.

PS just tested youtube in plex = no audio
youtube in safari browser = perfect audio

#2 booblian

booblian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:15 AM   Best Answer

Have just noticed exactly the same problem. Just happened today, similar circumstances, HDMI connected amp out of a mac mini and 5.1 sources play fine but 2 channel stereo material does not. I can hear the interface clicks also no problem.

I have not updated anything manually like system updates or plex updates in the last week. Running PMS 0.9.6.9.24 and the latest associated Plex mac client.

Similarly, 2-channel stuff audio plays in VLC just fine ... and videos with compatible codecs and 2-channel audio in quicktime just fine...

but not plex????

I'm the first to admit things like this are BKC errors [between chair and keyboard]... but I've touched nothing.

-j

!! UPDATE: I appear to have fixed my issue and it may address the problem for you too. Here's what I found...

2. During playback, hit 'M' on the keyboard and navigate over to the audio options [looks like a little speaker symbol], then select that

4. If that value is lower than 0.0Db, turn that thing up and see if that brings 2-channel stereo stuff back to normal.

5. Profit.

good luck.

#3 Azurewraith

Azurewraith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

but not plex????

-j

5. Profit.

good luck.

THANKS HEAPS

Very odd but thanks.

#4 booblian

booblian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

THANKS HEAPS

Very odd but thanks.

Happy to be able to help. Community to the rescue.

#5 Skilganon

Skilganon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

Thank you so much ! This has been driving me nuts - I went back to the old client in the end but your solution worked :)
(No idea how it got into that state either)

#6 frankiejl

frankiejl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

Thanks a million. I've always experience this issue after turning the TV off when the Mac Mini is still playing the audio/video through the HDMI output. After about 5 seconds you here the audi coming from the Mac Mini. On restarting the TV and opening PLEX you will get the video but no audio playback.

#7 LinPlex

LinPlex

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

Try the information here (PlexPass required) and here (PlexPass required). That should solve most of the issues related to 2.0/5.1 audio via HDMI/optical.

#8 CHjazzzz

CHjazzzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

Wish I had found this earlier but it did the trick. Thnx a lot. Now finaly after a year of no sound I can use my Plex again. Great

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users