Photo

How do you get Hulu (free version) on Roku?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 yama454

yama454

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

I am new to Plex (free version) and I am trying to get Hulu (the free version) on my Roku. I have searched the "Channel Directory" and the "All Available Plug-ins" and the "Foreign (Region-Restricted) Plug-ins" areas but I did not see a Plug-in or App for Hulu. I have searched all over the web for help but everybody says different things, mostly to search the channel directory and all the spots I said earlier, or to use the "Hulu Desktop" on your computer to add it to Plex somehow? I have no idea how to do that, and none of the sites I found gave any step by step instructions, they all seem to assume you semi-know what you are doing and I don't! if anybody can give me simple step by step instructions I would greatly appreciate it, Thanks!

#2 JamminR

JamminR

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

yama, welcome to Plex.
To be honest, I'm not sure Roku client has a Channel Directory. At least, I never saw one.
For me, I only remember Plex channels showing up on my Roku after I added them using the Windows plex client (aka Plex media center).
So, here's my recommended steps.
Your mileage may vary.

The below presumes you already have Plex SERVER running and detected by your Roku Plex channel. If not, this forum area really isn't where you should post your question. You should see the wiki.
It also presumes you live in the USA...if you don't, Hulu MIGHT not work.
1) Download/install on the same machine you used to post your question the "Plex Media Center (not the server, its different)" for your operating system.
2) Run the Plex Media Center. Once run, it should detect your server (even if on same machine). It should show a menu item "Channel Directory".
Use arrow keys once application started. (There's a way to turn on mouse, but thats for other forum areas)
3) Go to Channel Directory. Hit enter/return on keyboard.
4) In Channel Directory, go to "More..." (hit enter)
5) Once in More..., go to Preferences. Select United States by pressing down arrow to choose the country option, then /left/right arrow to choose which arrow to move, then enter to change "Automatic" to "United States", then down arrow to select 'Ok' (hit enter).
6) Now, select "Featured", or "Most Popular", find/arrow key down to Hulu. Hit enter. Plex Media Center should tell you it's installed.

Go to your Roku. Enter the Plex channel. You should now see the Hulu channel.
Any channel you add using above steps should work.

MODERATOR EDIT: This is not correct information.  Using this method you can forcibly install a channel even when your client is not supported, but it doesn't mean it will "work" -- in fact most times it will certainly NOT work.  Please do not follow these instructions and expect the channel to actually work (and complain when it does not!)

MAKE SURE YOUR PLEX SERVER IS UP TO DATE - v .9.9.5 and above fix a major Security Exploit! (Latest public download)

Server - HW: Intel Core I5-4670K,16GB DDR3, 4TB RAID1 - SW: Win7x64 Ult. + PMS v0.9.9.10 - ISP: 5mbps up/300GB monthly cap

Clients - 3x Roku2 XS, 1x Win PHT, 1x Android, 1x iPhone 4s, 1x iPad 4

Shares - From: 7 - To: 2. - Proud PlexPass subscriber!

Agents/Plugins I frequently use - DVD Order Agent - Unsupported Appstore - BringThePopcorn - SS Plex (Watch your searches later!!!) - Yify

Common WIKI FAQs I answer - How do I find the Plug-Ins folder? - How do I manually install a channel?

#3 yama454

yama454

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

yama, welcome to Plex.
To be honest, I'm not sure Roku client has a Channel Directory. At least, I never saw one.
For me, I only remember Plex channels showing up on my Roku after I added them using the Windows plex client (aka Plex media center).
So, here's my recommended steps.
Your mileage may vary.

The below presumes you already have Plex SERVER running and detected by your Roku Plex channel. If not, this forum area really isn't where you should post your question. You should see the wiki.
It also presumes you live in the USA...if you don't, Hulu MIGHT not work.
1) Download/install on the same machine you used to post your question the "Plex Media Center (not the server, its different)" for your operating system.
2) Run the Plex Media Center. Once run, it should detect your server (even if on same machine). It should show a menu item "Channel Directory".
Use arrow keys once application started. (There's a way to turn on mouse, but thats for other forum areas)
3) Go to Channel Directory. Hit enter/return on keyboard.
4) In Channel Directory, go to "More..." (hit enter)
5) Once in More..., go to Preferences. Select United States by pressing down arrow to choose the country option, then /left/right arrow to choose which arrow to move, then enter to change "Automatic" to "United States", then down arrow to select 'Ok' (hit enter).
6) Now, select "Featured", or "Most Popular", find/arrow key down to Hulu. Hit enter. Plex Media Center should tell you it's installed.

Go to your Roku. Enter the Plex channel. You should now see the Hulu channel.
Any channel you add using above steps should work.

Thanks for the help! I was able to add Hulu (I did not have the Plex Media Center, I'm retarded) but now it wont let me play an episode, it says "Video Unavailable we're unable to play this video, make sure the server is running and has access to this video" does this mean I have to have the episode playing on my laptop? or am I still being retarded?

Also Plex does have a Channel directory on the roku it is down at the bottom to the right of the preferences gear it is the Plex logo but not highlighted orange.

#4 JamminR

JamminR

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

but now it wont let me play an episode,
<clip>
does this mean I have to have the episode playing on my laptop?
<clip>
Also Plex does have a Channel directory on the roku it is down at the bottom to the right

Sorry for late reply, somehow let this one slip to back pages of 'my content' post tracker (NICE forum feature)
Re:won't play -
What type of PMS server are you running? If WinXP or Linux, Flash/Silverlight vid type sites won't play. I'm not sure about MacOS..think they're supposed to.
No, don't need to be playing on your PMC. (Does it work on your PMC/Win machine?

Re: Channel dir on Roku
Yeah, I finally saw it. It's hard to see that dark grey arrow on lighter grey box on even lighter grey background next to the bold preferences and search icons.

MAKE SURE YOUR PLEX SERVER IS UP TO DATE - v .9.9.5 and above fix a major Security Exploit! (Latest public download)

Server - HW: Intel Core I5-4670K,16GB DDR3, 4TB RAID1 - SW: Win7x64 Ult. + PMS v0.9.9.10 - ISP: 5mbps up/300GB monthly cap

Agents/Plugins I frequently use - DVD Order Agent - Unsupported Appstore - BringThePopcorn - SS Plex (Watch your searches later!!!) - Yify

Common WIKI FAQs I answer - How do I find the Plug-Ins folder? - How do I manually install a channel?

#5 yama454

yama454

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Sorry for late reply, somehow let this one slip to back pages of 'my content' post tracker (NICE forum feature)
Re:won't play -
What type of PMS server are you running? If WinXP or Linux, Flash/Silverlight vid type sites won't play. I'm not sure about MacOS..think they're supposed to.
No, don't need to be playing on your PMC. (Does it work on your PMC/Win machine?

Re: Channel dir on Roku
Yeah, I finally saw it. It's hard to see that dark grey arrow on lighter grey box on even lighter grey background next to the bold preferences and search icons.

That's fine I just got like six video games in the mail so I've been busy anyway. my Laptop has windows 7 if that's what your asking? I can watch Hulu from the Plex Media Center on my computer, why would it work on my computer but not my Roku? doesn't Plex play from the computer and send it to the Roku that doesn't make sense to me? also why would Silverlight not work isn't that what Netflix uses? and Netflix works fine, I actually prefer to use it on Plex than on the regular Roku app because our Roku is the older model and does not get subtitles anymore but they work just fine on the Plex app!

#6 JamminR

JamminR

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:12 AM

my Laptop has windows 7 if that's what your asking? I can watch Hulu from the Plex Media Center on my computer, why would it work on my computer but not my Roku? doesn't Plex play from the computer and send it to the Roku that doesn't make sense to me? also why would Silverlight not work isn't that what Netflix uses? and Netflix works fine, I actually prefer to use it on Plex than on the regular Roku app because our Roku is the older model and does not get subtitles anymore but they work just fine on the Plex app!

Different clients understand different Plex server 'speech'.
Though Plex server TRIES to speak each client language, sometimes if it has to spend too much time translating, the client may stop listening.
That may be what's happening to your Roku. Plex may be taking too long to have the Roku keep listening.
Though knowing what operating system your server is running on is helpful, I meant what version of Plex Media Server are you running. There's been many bug fixes over the last month, several release versions.
And, from what I've read in the Roku streaming app section of this forum...you may want to search for 'PlexTest'.
Apparently, latest normal Plex channel has some reasonably big bugs.

I've not tried Hulu channel on Plex to know if it's not working. It's possible it's not for Roku.
I prefer the actual Roku's Hulu channel (and Netflix). Personally, I hate movies with subtitles. Sure, I miss a few good ones (Dragon tatoo original, for instance), but I find myself 'reading' more of the movie than enjoy watching it.

#7 yama454

yama454

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:18 AM

Different clients understand different Plex server 'speech'.
Though Plex server TRIES to speak each client language, sometimes if it has to spend too much time translating, the client may stop listening.
That may be what's happening to your Roku. Plex may be taking too long to have the Roku keep listening.
Though knowing what operating system your server is running on is helpful, I meant what version of Plex Media Server are you running. There's been many bug fixes over the last month, several release versions.
And, from what I've read in the Roku streaming app section of this forum...you may want to search for 'PlexTest'.
Apparently, latest normal Plex channel has some reasonably big bugs.

I've not tried Hulu channel on Plex to know if it's not working. It's possible it's not for Roku.
I prefer the actual Roku's Hulu channel (and Netflix). Personally, I hate movies with subtitles. Sure, I miss a few good ones (Dragon tatoo original, for instance), but I find myself 'reading' more of the movie than enjoy watching it.

I tried PlexTest and it still did not work, my connection is probably too slow!
I prefer Korean TV shows and movies over most others! Korean, Japanese, then American. most of the time anyways, Korean shows have a set number of episodes and rarely fail to finish the story, unlike most american shows that end the season on a cliffhanger and never come back! plus most of their shows are over an hour every episode, they don't try to fit stories into an a 42 min show and attempt to make it believable.

#8 sander1

sander1

Channel Developer/Admin

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2594 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:51 AM

There's more than 1 reason why those 2 lines exist in the Hulu plist file.
A lot of people disable the capability checking option so this and some other settings get ignored, and end up with channels that do not work as expected or do not work at all on their (Roku) clients.
Disabling the capability checking means you get to see all the installed channels, including the ones that won't work on your client or are not yet optimized to work on your client.

Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location

Problem with indexing files? Check the Naming Guide

#9 JamminR

JamminR

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

including the ones that won't work on your client or are not yet optimized to work on your client.

Sander, Isn't Plex server made to be able to feed to any client created for it?
Shouldn't Plex treat clients as 'dumb' and just feed them the streams they're capable of reading?
I come to Plex from Playstation Media Server because it was rarely updated, and Plex did so much more. (better scraping, more client support, myPlex, etc)
Now that I've been hanging around the forums, I've seen you and other devs (both channel and actual Plex) state 'client needs to do this/be updated/do that'

I seriously do question, isn't Plex SERVER supposed to do the heavy lifting and allow the client to 'just work'?

#10 MonEl

MonEl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:54 PM

They must have changed something.  I followed the procedure above to the letter and I could not find a listing for the free version of Hulu anywhere. I even went through all the available plugins and it was not listed.  I did find a lot of other great sites to add, just not the free Hulu.  I wonder if they are trying to force Roku users like me to use Hulu Plus instead of the free version?

#11 Gerk

Gerk

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

They must have changed something.  I followed the procedure above to the letter and I could not find a listing for the free version of Hulu anywhere. I even went through all the available plugins and it was not listed.  I did find a lot of other great sites to add, just not the free Hulu.  I wonder if they are trying to force Roku users like me to use Hulu Plus instead of the free version?

The Hulu channel is not supported on the Plex Roku client.  Closing this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users