• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sbean

sbean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

I see many complaints about running Plex as a service on Windows I thought I would mention that I have been running Plex as a Windows service for quite some time now. The only program I have been able to get to run it properly is LaunchPad by Black Widow Software, which is now out of business. The software allows you to run multiple programs within a single service instance so you can launch both explorer and plex to get past the taskbar issue. You can also make plex interactive if you wish to handle upgrade messages.

So here's the thing, since the company no longer exists you can't get the software. The software was actually freeware but you had to register to get the free license. Now that they are gone, there is no way to do that. What I have done is modified the program so that it does not require registration. Also, since I cannot even find an installation file anywhere on the Internet, I had to make it all manual installation.

If someone is up for trying it, you can get my version here: http://novafile.com/d5yjjswjxz0g

Normally I wouldn't bother with a hack like this on software from a company that is no longer in business, but it works so perfectly with plex and with absolutely no problems it is well worth it.

Here are the instructions:

1. Run vcredist_x64.exe
2. Copy the LaunchPad folder to your C:\Program Files directory
3. Double-click on Install.reg to import it into your registry
4. Run GroundControlUI.exe (you may want to make a shortcut for it)
5. In LaunchPad, from the Services menu, select All LaunchPad Services then click on import
6. Find the Plex.zip file and import that.
7. Make any necessary changes such as the account to use to login, this would be the account for the user who installed plex

I have run this on Windows Server 2003, 2008 and 2012 with no problems.

#2 mauirixxx

mauirixxx

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

Sounds intriguing. Worse yet, I actually have a copy of LaunchPad installed on a server at work, but I'll be damned if I could find the installation file any where ... and now I know why I can't re-download it either :(
-- mauirixxx
Linux - Unofficial CentOS 6 install instructions - step by step!
WIndows - Easy edit your hosts file to resolve localhost to 127.0.0.1 - only needed if you time out trying to manage your Plex server locally in Windows Vista / 7 and http://localhost:32400/manage keeps timing out!

TV Shows getting listed wrong?
Verify your files are named per the Plex Media Server guide - if they're not, use FileBot to quickly and painlessly rename your media into a format Plex Media Server recommends!

#3 sbean

sbean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

You don't really need to install it, you can copy the files over and run the .reg file to register the service and it will take care of the rest. If you already have your own copy with a license.key file you can just use your files.

#4 mauirixxx

mauirixxx

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Ahh that's actually good to know, thank you :D
-- mauirixxx
Linux - Unofficial CentOS 6 install instructions - step by step!
WIndows - Easy edit your hosts file to resolve localhost to 127.0.0.1 - only needed if you time out trying to manage your Plex server locally in Windows Vista / 7 and http://localhost:32400/manage keeps timing out!

TV Shows getting listed wrong?
Verify your files are named per the Plex Media Server guide - if they're not, use FileBot to quickly and painlessly rename your media into a format Plex Media Server recommends!

#5 deanot

deanot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

I could not get it to run on my Headless WHS 2011 Server. Every time I open up Ground Control it would not connect to the server, something about the server actively refused the connection.

Worth a try, thanks..

#6 sbean

sbean

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

I could not get it to run on my Headless WHS 2011 Server. Every time I open up Ground Control it would not connect to the server, something about the server actively refused the connection.

Worth a try, thanks..

I think I found the problem, try the attached config files instead.

Attached Files

#7 Edwe

Edwe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

Hia sbean

I want to apply "your" solution and did as u wrote, but still getting "target computer actively refused the connection"

I applied the lastest cfg files to

#8 Edwe

Edwe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

Hia again

If i change the default setting to go to the Plex MEdia Manager (http://localhost:32400)instead of 127.0.0.1:1020 I get an Authentication box, but I canot login :(

The box say username: (in format computername/username)already filled in
Password:

I tried computername@username, username@computername, nothing works

Another thing, the reg file, is that supose to produce a service when run?
Not finding any service after i ran it

/E

#9 Pluto1946

Pluto1946

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

This looks like a very promising bit of software, and at least worth a try. Now I've followed the instructions up to number 4:

1. Run vcredist_x64.exe
2. Copy the LaunchPad folder to your C:\Program Files directory
3. Double-click on Install.reg to import it into your registry
4. Run GroundControlUI.exe (you may want to make a shortcut for it)

I also ran the config.zip amendment to the GroundControl.cfg and LaunchPad.cfg.

But I'm mystified by the fifth instruction: In LaunchPad, from the Services menu, select All LaunchPad Services then click on import

I just can't find a Services menu. There are five tabs in Launchpad: File, View, Connections, Computer and Help. 'File' has a preference tab and 'Computer' has a settings tab, but neither has a services menu, and I'm blowed if I can find that menu anywhere.
Anyway, I've messed up in two ways. The first attempt at connecting with the server ended unsuccessfully because the target machine actively refused to connect. So I tried using http://localhost:324007, which was suggested above, but that didn't work, and afterwards I'd forgotten the exact form of the original address, so I just wrote http://127.0.0.1:32400 in the settings address box. That resulted in a "not valid in context" error.

I might add that I run Bitdefender antivirus software and Plex is allowed through the firewall.

Anyway, merry xmas to all :-)

#10 Edwe

Edwe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Pluto you have ended up the sam way I did :)

As loong as you can not connect I'l guess the service menu isnt there.

To go back to the original settings you have to put the (loopback IP adress) 127.0.0.1 in the first box and in the box after that (the port number) 1020

#11 Pluto1946

Pluto1946

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

:):):)

Brilliant! Thanks! This is the first time something's worked for me with Plex so far. Services appeared in the left-hand column, and Launchpad even managed to import the plex.zip file. Wonderful.

Just onto another topic. I noticed the expression disabled all external searches for media content/info, in the hope that it remove anything likely to stall the program. I thought there might be a conflict between my own home-recorded stuff and commercial stuff. So far it seems to have paid off. The refresh wheel is whirring away refreshing the files in my orchestral folder, and it's got further than ever without having a fainting fit.

Very nice bit of Christmas cheer!

#12 Edwe

Edwe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

@Pluto

Nice, so you used the original settings and got an Authentication box and you just logged in?

#13 Pluto1946

Pluto1946

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Hi, appreciate your feedback.

Authentication box - yes, there was an authentication box and I entered what I assumed was required and it seemed to work.

According to Launchpad, Plex is up and running, but that info is wrong. And according to Windows Task manager, both Plex media server and Plex media server DLNA service are running. But Plex crashed a few minutes ago and it's not functioning in any browser. Time to reboot the computer :-(

The 'refresh' function seems to be corrupted as well. It never completes a survey of any folder, and maintains the last refresh was three days ago. I've been trying to get it to map the contents of my 'orchestral' folder (which has about 1,000 folders, and 13,000 files in various subfolders), and it just grinds to a halt. Just today I've clicked on the refresh arrow I don't know how many times. The refresh process starts, but it doesn't actually do anything. .

The second sentence in my last message yesterday was garbled. What I meant to say was that I'd disabled the external information download agents in the Plex settings area (cine21, local media assets etc) just in case there was a conflict between info I'd already entered manually using MediaMonkey, and info downloaded from the web. I don't think there is, because Plex stalled not long after I'd sent the message. Yesterday, I could restart Plex without having to reboot the computer. But that was yesterday.

The program does seem to have an amazing array of bugs.

Pluto1946

#14 Edwe

Edwe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

Strange..

I just get the "target computer actively refused the connection"

Well I'l guess this isnt the "One solution" 4me and Il have to abandon it

#15 Pluto1946

Pluto1946

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

I'm reverting to Twonky or Tversity, both of which I've used previously.

Get back to you with more info later.

I suppose Plex must work on some computers and in some environments, but there doesn't seem to be much interest among the programmers to help punters get things right .

#16 Edwe

Edwe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

A bit O.T but Im satisfied with Plex..
The only problem I have is that when puter gets to sleep the Plex must be restarted after o woke the puter up.
And sad to say my guess is that it wont be better to add Plex as a service, just becaurce the prog seems to have to be restarted.

just my 5

#17 skarox

skarox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

As some of you are experiencing problems connecting to the localhost (127.0.0.1) I figured I'd share my solution :)

When you run the "Install.reg" file it automatically specifies the location where windows expects to find LaunchPad (ProgramFiles). If you have copied it to any other location, it will most likely not work. Also, the files provided are only compatible with x64 machines / OS. As such, running x86 /32bit won't even let you start LaunchPad.

The easiest fix to both of these problems is to simply install LaunchPad 32bit, which you can find here: http://www.fileguru....--32-Bit-/info Just download and install. Upon its first start, the programm will ask you for your licence key. The one sbean provided in the first post works like a charm.

I believe this should fix your problems, good luck :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users