#1 Aargh-a-Knot

Aargh-a-Knot

Dedicated Member

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

"Scrape" vs "Scrap"

OK, this is one of those things that probably doesn't really matter, but for some reason it bugs the heck out of me. I could either:
a ) go speak to a therapist about it
b ) follow the Buddhist philosophy of "What is, is" and allow it to pass through me whilst having no reaction to it, or
c ) write a post that sets the record straight and reduces the frequency by which this mistake is made.
I decided to start with the latter, and if that doesn't work, I'm going to retreat to a cave for 7 years and work on b ). Hopefully when I get back, the new library will be in place.

At first I thought it was just a typo. I mean, your fingers are happily typing along, and that "P" key is way over there in the corner, so the fingers are likely to want to tap out an extra "P", since they are there and all.

Then I thought maybe it was a language translation thing. English does have some pretty strange rules, and if it's not your native language, it may be difficult to decide when a vowel is to be pronounced in its long form. Perhaps this rule is not part of the pronunciation structure of other languages? Perhaps double consonants are very costly in other countries, and we Americans take it for granted, along with our unlimited bandwidth internet connections, and our warehouse-sized discount electronics big-box stores, and when someone from another country realizes that they can just throw that extra "P" in there with no extra charge, they just can't resist the temptation...

Then, the other day, I was speaking to a real live 3D person regarding Plex, and I wasn't just talking at someone, with their blank look and that slow nod that really conveys "you lost me after the second word", and "I'd rather be discussing taxes with my accountant". No, this was someone else who had discovered the joys of Plex, and we were having a two way conversation regarding the matter. And then he said it.

"Yeah, its really cool how Plex can scrap the theme music for the A-Team. I love that song!"

I glared at him, my eye started twitching. The room went silent and a tumbleweed blew between us. "What did you say? I asked.

"Umm, you know", he carefully replied, "I just think it's neat that Plex automatically scraps the theme music, not that I really like the A-Team or anything, I was just saying..."

My suspicions were confirmed.

But then, a moment of doubt crept over me. What if it is "scrap", and it has been I who has been mispronouncing the term, what if it was I who was part of the delusionally misinformed underclass who was perpetuating this abomination against proper technological grammar? My reality started to crumble. What if my whole life has been a facade, and everything that I thought I knew was false, and there were hordes of people laughing at my pronunciation of "Cabernet Sauvignon" behind my back? So, I did what anyone having an existentialist meltdown does...I Googled it.

Turns out I was right. Phew!

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

scrap

Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): scrapped; scrap·ping
Date: circa 1891

1 : to convert into scrap
2 : to abandon or get rid of as no longer of enough worth or effectiveness to retain <scrap outworn methods>
synonyms see discard

scrape

Pronunciation: \ˈskrāp\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): scraped; scrap·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old Norse skrapa; akin to Old English scrapian to scrape, Latin scrobis ditch, Russian skresti to scrape
Date: 14th century

1: to remove from a surface by usually repeated strokes of an edged instrument b: to make (a surface) smooth or clean with strokes of an edged instrument or an abrasive
2: to grate harshly over or against
3: to collect by or as if by scraping —often used with up or together<scrape up the price of a ticket>

(I believe it is definition #3 above that we want to focus on as the possible root of our meaning here)

and from a Wikipedia article on "Web Scraping":

[Scraping] is a computer technique of extracting information from websites using specially coded software programs.

So, when one says that they are "scrapping" their library, they are in fact saying that they are getting rid of it,
but when one is "scraping" their library, they are collecting information about it from an external database.

I think it is easy to see which term is correct, and I urge you, for the sake of my mental health, please use the proper term.

Thank you.
:P

#2 aaronjb

aaronjb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

This made me laugh much more than it should have ;)

#3 redrum

redrum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

Or Plex could scrap all of the scraping functions! That would scrape some nerves, which would probably lead to scrapping the original idea of scrapping the scraping.

Oh scrap, hope there's no typos in that.

#4 Raindancing

Raindancing

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:38 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#5 opet

opet

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

Haha! Brilliant! I like to think it boils down to language difficulties. :)

#6 vengeancegoon

vengeancegoon

Has Twiglets, won't share.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

Hooray for nerds! Just ask Isaac about our latest non-Plex adventures..

I get bugged by people saying stuff like that all the time. Or like people in the office that use words like "Internets" in company meetings :angry:
I'm bringing Isaac Twiglets right now...

#7 spaceman

spaceman

Plug-in Dev

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:56 PM

Yeah, and it's it's not its :D

#8 elan

elan

Sheriff of Plexville

• Sheriff Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7412 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:17 PM

That's one of my pet peeves, along with your/you're.

Instagram: @elan
The Plex blog.
The wife's photography site.
The brother's photography blog.
The dog's twitter feed.

#9 aaronjb

aaronjb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:25 PM

*twitches* Just the thought of it.. *twitches*

#10 henrk

henrk

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:46 PM

While we're at it, what's so difficult about there's and theirs??
And I'm not even a native English speaker... I suspect sometimes they're the worst!

#11 Aargh-a-Knot

Aargh-a-Knot

Dedicated Member

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:18 PM

We're in the middle of a recession. In tough times, you have to make tough decisions. I'm sorry, but we had to let ' go.

:lol:

#12 benjiashley

benjiashley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

what about alot vs a lot

irksome

thanks aargh, this has bothered me repeatedly as well

#13 Mako Nakor

Mako Nakor

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:45 PM

Hooray for nerds! Just ask Isaac about our latest non-Plex adventures..

I get bugged by people saying stuff like that all the time. Or like people in the office that use words like "Internets" in company meetings :angry:

I use internets all the time, I blame Attack of the Show.

#14 redrum

redrum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

If you haven't already, I'd really recommend reading this book: Eats, Shoots & Leaves. It's hilarious.

Honestly though, after living in a couple of non-English speaking countries for the last few years I've gotten much less pedantic. In countries where English is the third (!) language the focus is on being understood and not grammatical correctness. Yes, we sound just as lame in their native language when we try and speak it :)

I probably get more annoyed by SMS abbreviations/speak being used in emails than grammar mistakes these days.

#15 Mako Nakor

Mako Nakor

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

I probably get more annoyed by SMS abbreviations/speak being used in emails than grammar mistakes these days.

Personally I hate when people say the word LOL!

#16 Aargh-a-Knot

Aargh-a-Knot

Dedicated Member

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:55 AM

Personally I hate when people say the word LOL!

How would that be pronounced? Do they say "laugh out loud" or do they say "lol"?

#17 Mako Nakor

Mako Nakor

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

How would that be pronounced? Do they say "laugh out loud" or do they say "lol"?

Oh no, they say lol, long o sound. It makes them sound really retarded, I mean I am standing right there, I can see that you aren't laughing!

#18 aaronjb

aaronjb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

Oh no, they say lol, long o sound. It makes them sound really retarded, I mean I am standing right there, I can see that you aren't laughing!

There's a subtle irony that your post actually made me LOL :)

#19 Doraemonn

Doraemonn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:50 PM

Aargh-a-Knot,

You, Sir, are a genius. Not only have you managed to air one of my greatest sources of irritation across both Plex and XBMC, but you did it in such a way as to cause me to fall off my chair.

My hat goes off to you. Well played. :lol:
bravelittlememe loves Plex

#20 spaceman

spaceman

Plug-in Dev

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

I like lulz combined with a :rolleyes:
Makes a very nice "Dude, that wasn't even slightly funny"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users