25 replies to this topic

#1 Sgraham884

Sgraham884

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:18 PM

I like the new default font style but wonder if there is a way to increase its size slightly.
It is hard to read in some menus and if I switch to unicode (only option) in the appearance menu they are
to large. Thanks for all the great updates!

#2 dj dead serious

dj dead serious

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:55 PM

i highly agree. font is WAY too small. how do you change it?

#3 Kent

Kent

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

Preferences -> Appearances -> Skin Fonts -> Original :)

#4 Sgraham884

Sgraham884

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:16 AM

Preferences -> Appearances -> Skin Fonts -> Original :)

I don't have the original choice only Unicode and then its to large. The main menu overlaps when its at the unicode setting.

#5 Erik K Veland

Erik K Veland

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:16 AM

Original is all fine and dandy, but Helvetica Neue is a much more aesthetically pleasing font. It just needs to be upped in size.

#6 Jam

Jam

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4042 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:32 AM

Yeah, we'll probably need tweaks to the font sizes - they're still the same size as the default font set, and as I'm sure you've noticed, fonts can differ in size visually even when using the same point size.

#7 jernomer

jernomer

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:18 AM

Original is all fine and dandy, but Helvetica Neue is a much more aesthetically pleasing font. It just needs to be upped in size.

I agree. I like the new font, but the size just needs to be slightly larger.

#8 elan

elan

Sheriff of Plexville

• Sheriff Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7412 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:14 AM

I agree. I like the new font, but the size just needs to be slightly larger.

We'll make some tweaks upwards in the next release, which will probably be out in a week or so to fix some minor issues. Any specific suggestions on sizes (or edit the fonts.xml and send it this way) would be appreciated.

Instagram: @elan
The Plex blog.
The wife's photography site.
The brother's photography blog.
The dog's twitter feed.

#9 Sgraham884

Sgraham884

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:12 AM

We'll make some tweaks upwards in the next release, which will probably be out in a week or so to fix some minor issues. Any specific suggestions on sizes (or edit the fonts.xml and send it this way) would be appreciated.

Thank You for saying where to make the changes!

#10 Scott Frazer

Scott Frazer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:19 AM

I bumped everything below 30pt up by 2 pts and it seems pretty decent, though my aesthetic sense and testing leave much to be desired.

Location for a default install is:
/Applications/Plex.app/Contents/Resources/Plex/skin/MediaStream/720p/Font.xml

Attached File  Font.xml   19.46KB   81 downloads

#11 Mako Nakor

Mako Nakor

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:38 AM

I bumped everything below 30pt up by 2 pts and it seems pretty decent, though my aesthetic sense and testing leave much to be desired.

For users that have their firewalls setting on "Set for specific services and applications", you do NOT want to do this! Changing anything inside the Plex.app bundle will break the code signing and you will be prompted everytime Plex is run to allow it access to incoming connections. If you REALLY need to change the font size, turn your firewall off to avoid the prompt.

#12 mattnad

mattnad

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

I liked a previous version of Plex that allowed the user to select font size ranges for the entire application. This is a very useful feature to help accommodate differences in screen size and seating distance.
Mac Mini 2.0ghz x 2 & 2.26Ghz • 8Tb Storage via Synology DS-410 over 802.11n WiFi network • Panasonic 720p 50" Plasma • Toshiba 1080p 40" LCD • 120" Projector Screen with Epson 1080p 6100 projection • 7.1 AV Denon Receiver • Samsung Blu Ray Player • Pioneer BD RW Player • Roku XDS

#13 jernomer

jernomer

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:53 PM

You beat me to it! That is essentially how I was thinking to increase the font. Well done.

#14 Ofih

Ofih

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:07 PM

My opinion about the font:

- It's too small, on my TV (I dont have one of those huge plasmas) it is much more difficult to read
- Aesthetically, I think its too narrow, it should be wider (either by actually widening the font, or increasing the spacing)

And also:
When I revert back to the old font the menu seems very cramped. The spaces between the menu items used to be much larger which looked much better imo. Now it is just crowded with text..

Anyway besides this I gotto say I love PLEX more and more with every new release. And I'm amazed at how much work you guys do in such short time!

#15 Jam

Jam

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4042 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:15 PM

When I revert back to the old font the menu seems very cramped. The spaces between the menu items used to be much larger which looked much better imo.

This is how the menu has been for at least the last 3 versions (I forget the exact version when we changed it). Please keep this thread related to discussion of the new font :) Thanks!

#16 hec spc

hec spc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

here is my file.

i havent changed the size, instead of that i have decreased the boldness using the light and ultralight, i think it is quite more stylish now! :P

its been done quite fast and late at night.... there are problems with legibility but maybe changing colors could be an option. Anyone knows where can i change the colors? mainly the blue for the labels for any lighter one...

Attached Files

• Attached File  Font.xml   19.13KB   16 downloads

#17 cheekyboy

cheekyboy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:23 PM

I don't have the original choice only Unicode and then its to large. The main menu overlaps when its at the unicode setting.

Strange, my unicode font is smaller than the default, well probably same size but not so bold

Elan, Is it possible to have a variety of options like the original media stream skin had with Bigger, Large, Massive etc please as I am sure everyone has their own preference for own their setup. Personally I like the cleanness of the new unicode font on my system as the default font looks too bold and squished on my TV for some text. The only trouble is its just too small to read with my dodgy eyes :(

EDIT: Actually the Default when I first loaded plex wasnt squished, just after I cycled the other font choices and went back to it :S
Guess theres a buggette there, but definitely the option to chose different sizes within plex is useful

EDIT2 the sequel: I'm wondering if we actually need the fonts mentioned in the font.xml file installed/delivered in the package? My font behavior seems to go from bad to worse with different fonts seemingly appearing at random now I have tried the other font.xml files from here. I'm not really a Maccy (can you tell!) but I can find no reference to HelveticaNeue.dfont anywhere on my mac mini. HELP :)
I Finally bought a MAC, Simon made me do it! Now what the hell do I do with it?

#18 hec spc

hec spc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

Hi, i have changed the font again to improve the legibility. here there is a couple of screenshots!

Attached Files

#19 jernomer

jernomer

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:18 PM

Hi, i have changed the font again to improve the legibility. here there is a couple of screenshots!

That is looking very nice. Well done. I hope your adjustments are taken into consideration for Plex. ;)

#20 Party Gorilla

Party Gorilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:55 AM

Helvetica Neue is a good choice for the new font, but the condensed version as is used currently is not the best way to go. Either stick to Bold/Regular/Light/UltraLight OR choose a font like Trade Gothic that has a really good set of condensed weights that don't look as squashed as Helvetica does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users