64 replies to this topic

#1 poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:03 PM

I wanted to share here my favorite Handbrake setting for Plex. I hope others can contribute- I hope to put together a good wiki page for this within a week.

I personally use this setting to re-encode DVDs or Blu Rays that are MPEG2.

Normal Settings

Format- MP4 (mkv also works great, I use MP4 for other device compatibility)

Video Codec: x264

Framerate- same as source

Constant quality: 50-70% depending on how much loss I am wiling to take for size. 62% is my sweet spot.

Anamorphic Strict (I think Loose is also ok, maybe better for space concerns)

Keep aspect ratio: Off

Crop: Auto

The only De*** I use are:

"slower" deinterlacing for shows/movies that need it (animation, Chappelle Show)

"10" Deblock for things that are older than the 90s, or are highly compressed.

Audio Settings

Track 1: AC3 passthrough (I do this to maintain compatibility with other devices like AppleTV/PS3. On the forum I have read that AAC with Dolby Pro Logic does the same in Plex for less space. I don't trust surround AAC though personally)

Track 2: AAC with Stereo mixdown 96 bitrate (again compatibility for when the file is played in not Plex- not needed if file is only for Plex!)

Advanced Settings (note: I keep these the same always except Motion Estimation Ranges and B Frames

Reference Frames: 5

Mixed References: On

B-Frames: 5 if live action, 15 if animation

Direct Prediction: Spatial

Weighted B Frames: On

Pyramidal B Frames: On (be careful with this one- if things don't work turn this off first)

Motion Estimation Method: Uneven Multi-Hexagon

Motion Estimation Range: 16-32 (more towards 16 when its live action drama, more towards 32 on actiony animation)

Subpixel Motion Estimation: 2-9 (more towards 2 when its live action drama, more towards 9 on actiony animation)

Analysis: All

8x8 DCT: On

Deblocking: Do that in main settings if needed

Trellis: 2 (might be most important settings I have found for quality)

No DCT Decimate: Off

CABAC Entropy: On

These are the settings that work best for me that I have come to by tearing through the Handbrake forums and wikis. For more information on what each settings does, look here:

http://trac.handbrak...iki/x264Options

No Fast P-Skip: Off unless animation

#2 Steve

Steve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

Mine are dependent on the type of DVD or source, progressive, not, PAL, not.

Using the SVN version of Handbrake, the CQ rate can be set much lower, and even lower on HD content. I am using 58% for SD, and, 56% for HD for the most part. I never find a reason to go up over 58%. Probably, I could go lower for HD but I have not experimented enough with that yet. I do always convert 1080i to p.

I always use Loose.

Do NOT use deinterlace with recent Handbrake versions (SVN). It is essentially obsolete. If it is interlaced like 1080i, or, most DVD, then, use DECOMB. If it is telecined like a lot of stuff as well, then detelecine also. This is FAR better than the older deinterlace options. Read the forums if you wish. And the decomb filter is faster as well!

I use direct prediction automatic. Some of my settings were obtained not only from Handbrake reading, but also, the main site for the encoder they use. I don't use any B Frames for 1080i, though I don't recall why.

I never use Pyramidal.

I use 64 for motion estimation range.

Always use 6 or more for subpixel as this enables some very important advanced features of the encoder, some of which are hardly documented at all except by the author.

I never turn on no dct decimate. There was a reason for this, don't recall off hand.

I never turn on no fast pskip

I always use Cabac.

Settings are based on content, I have different settings for all combinations of stuff.

YMMV

#3 poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:51 PM

Great knowledge in your post, thank you! I look forward to learning a lot in this thread.

Mine are dependent on the type of DVD or source, progressive, not, PAL, not.

Using the SVN version of Handbrake, the CQ rate can be set much lower, and even lower on HD content. I am using 58% for SD, and, 56% for HD for the most part. I never find a reason to go up over 58%.

Good to know. I use the release version, but I have heard that the CQ/VBR was being worked on a lot recently. It was never popular with AppleTVers, but its great for us Plexers. Glad its going in that direction.

NOT use deinterlace with recent Handbrake versions (SVN). It is essentially obsolete. If it is interlaced like 1080i, or, most DVD, then, use DECOMB.

I have tried DECOMB in the newest release and was disappointed with the results compared to the deinterlacer. Good to know that is the direction things are going, I'll have to try the SVN version. Makes since- from what I understand the DECOMB filter doesn't do anything to progressive content content, unlike the deinterlacer filter which would harm it. Is that right?

I use direct prediction automatic.

Yeah, thats probably a better recommended setting for a general profile.

Always use 6 or more for subpixel as this enables some very important advanced features of the encoder, some of which are hardly documented at all except by the author.

I have heard that too. I can't tell a difference on things like early 90s TV, but on Anime its like night and day. Probably good to recommend six for a general Plex profile. From the Handbrake wiki:

The default, 6, turns on a feature called rate distortion optimization, including psychovisual enhancements. 7 enables that rate distortion for B-frames. 8 refines those decisions for I and P frames, and 9 adds on refinement for B-frames as well.

What do you do with audio? Leave it AC3 or move to AAC? Do you treat DTS and AC3 content differently?

#4 Steve

Steve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 05:06 PM

The decomb is MUCH better than deinterlace, can't speak for previous versions of Handbrake. The author of Handbrake also suggests never using deinterlace. I believe it is also vastly faster as a side benefit! Yes, decomb is selective, so, theoretically, you could always leave it on. It works well with detelecine. But, there have been some reports of trouble with some content that does not need to be decombed, so, I currently always check if there is any combing first though I tried a movie and found no issue leaving it on. It has other advantages as well since deinterlace will process video that does not need deinterlacing, making the picture softer. Some DVDs have content with only partial interlacing, these are wrecked by the old deinterlace.

Note that decomb may well call the same deinterlacer (slower), but, it has some criteria before doing so. Depends on the content. The speed advantage is quite large, especially with pulldown content since it doesn't process the progressive frames unlike deinterlace.

I ALWAYS use ac3 audio if the source is ac3, I just pass through whatever is on the source really. ac3 doesn't take much space.

#5 PSUlion01

PSUlion01

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:57 AM

Is there any way to save and export these presets so we cab share them with each other?

#6 poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:35 PM

Is there any way to save and export these presets so we cab share them with each other?

Not that I know of, unless you use the CLI version....

#7 PSUlion01

PSUlion01

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:19 PM

Not that I know of, unless you use the CLI version....

Speaking of the CLI version, I noticed that encodes done with the Universal preset in the CLI did not match up with the screen resolution of encodes done using the same preset in the GUI. Any experience with this or ideas as to why it might happen?

#8 aaronjb

aaronjb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

Speaking of the CLI version, I noticed that encodes done with the Universal preset in the CLI did not match up with the screen resolution of encodes done using the same preset in the GUI. Any experience with this or ideas as to why it might happen?

Is that a strict/loose/none difference? What CLI switches were you using? '-p' is strict anamorphic (encodes the black bars in) and '-P' is loose, the default in the GUI..

Other than that, I've not noticed that myself - but then I haven't used the GUI version in a while :)

#9 PSUlion01

PSUlion01

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

Is that a strict/loose/none difference? What CLI switches were you using? '-p' is strict anamorphic (encodes the black bars in) and '-P' is loose, the default in the GUI..

Other than that, I've not noticed that myself - but then I haven't used the GUI version in a while :)

I don't think it's any of the above. I checked in the GUI, but the resolutions shown for strict/loose/none didn't seem to match up with the output I got from the CLI. In addition, I wasn't using any switches... in the CLI i just specified the universal preset, and did the same in the GUI. No mods were made in either case to anything. The resulting files were in the GUI were 629x352, but using the CLI they were 543x304. Is it possible that the CLI preset and the GUI preset aren't the same? I can post the logs or whatever else might be helpful if necessary. This is frustrating though, as I finally got the CLI running to process all of my tv show rips automatically, but it looks like I'm losing a bit of data in the process...

#10 aaronjb

aaronjb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

Hm, strange - what version (SVN or release) are you running, and what's your source material?

I just tried with the latest SVN and from a VIDEO_TS folder both the GUI and CLI report they're going to generate output of 720x480 when 'Universal' is selected as a preset..

#11 PSUlion01

PSUlion01

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

Hm, strange - what version (SVN or release) are you running, and what's your source material?

I just tried with the latest SVN and from a VIDEO_TS folder both the GUI and CLI report they're going to generate output of 720x480 when 'Universal' is selected as a preset..

Using the 0.9.3 release for both GUI and CLI. Source is a dvd rip of the tv series house... standard rip with a video_ts folder, did not remux episodes into single VOBs or anything. Where do I go to see what resolution the CLI will output?

#12 aaronjb

aaronjb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:45 PM

Wait, I just realised I lied to you and was reading the wrong resolution - d'oh! I was looking at what it detects as the input, not what it's about to output.. because it doesn't list what it's going to output until it's.. well.. output, does it.

So.. ignore me, I'm an idiot ;)

(Just encoding an episode now to see how it comes out when it's done)

#13 aaronjb

aaronjb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:35 PM

Ok - done it properly this time ;) ended up doing a full encode of the first episode of the second season of The Sarah Connor Chronicles (I know, I know.. but it's Summer Glau!) - twice, once with the GUI and once with the CLI, Universal preset with no other changes both times - and both encodes came out as 720x480.

Perhaps the 0.9.3 release is different - I believe there have been some significant advances in the SVN version, so I've been using that for quite a while (and compiled fresh a couple of days ago)

#14 PSUlion01

PSUlion01

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:13 PM

Ok - done it properly this time ;) ended up doing a full encode of the first episode of the second season of The Sarah Connor Chronicles (I know, I know.. but it's Summer Glau!) - twice, once with the GUI and once with the CLI, Universal preset with no other changes both times - and both encodes came out as 720x480.

Perhaps the 0.9.3 release is different - I believe there have been some significant advances in the SVN version, so I've been using that for quite a while (and compiled fresh a couple of days ago)

will shoot you a PM as i don't want this thread to stray further than it already has... may start a new thread just for this encode issue.

<edit> Here's a link to the bug report and answer from the HandBrake forums... Sorry to stray from the original topic.

http://forum.handbra...hp?f=12&t=10370

#15 sleake

sleake

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:49 AM

Hey gang, I'm just getting into playing with some of my content and this is helpful. But I have some noob questions around this:

What are the SVN and CLI versions that you mention (what do those stand for)?

How do you check to see if content has any combing or interlacing?

I'm running a couple tests right now (queued up something with the two different settings mentioned above - using 0.9.3 that I d/l from Version Tracker) and am going to leave it running tonight to see how things look in the morning. In other pointers on settings would be greatly appreciated.

Mac Mini (Late 2011) Quad-core i7, SSD and 14.5TB external storage; Panasonic 65" Plasma; Denon AVR-3310ci

Plex Media Server  -  Plex Home Theater  -  SABnzbd  -  SickBeard  -  CouchPotato  -  Minecraft Server   

2 aTV2s with Plex 0.11.0b2 ;  1 iPhone 5, 2 iPhone 5C, 1 iPhone 5S, iPad 2nd Gen, iPad 3rd Gen - all running Plex iOS

(Yes, fanboy of Apple and Plex!!)

#16 aaronjb

aaronjb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

What are the SVN and CLI versions that you mention (what do those stand for)?

SVN = subversion; you check out the development source code and compile from scratch, getting the latest changes, fixes and improvements (and, occasionally, bugs - though I must say I've not run into any that are peculiar to the SVN version). There have been significant speed & quality improvements to the x264 code, I believe, since 0.9.3.

CLI = Command Line Interface ;) It's just the GUI-less version that gets run in Terminal for those of us who want to script things (or run on other operating systems like Linux - I have it running on my unRAID box, for example)

How do you check to see if content has any combing or interlacing?

As far as I know, all you can do is 'suck it and see' with a test encode :( I'd love for someone to tell me I'm wrong about that, though.

#17 sleake

sleake

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:15 PM

CLI = Command Line Interface ;) It's just the GUI-less version that gets run in Terminal for those of us who want to script things (or run on other operating systems like Linux - I have it running on my unRAID box, for example)

DOH! :blink: One idiot point for me...

SVN = subversion; you check out the development source code and compile from scratch, getting the latest changes, fixes and improvements (and, occasionally, bugs - though I must say I've not run into any that are peculiar to the SVN version). There have been significant speed & quality improvements to the x264 code, I believe, since 0.9.3.

So is SVN GUI or CLI?

I guess I'm going to need to build that Hackintosh (or a linux box) so I can have something to dedicate to this as doing it on 200+ movies will be painful on my main machine (if I want to get anything else done).

Thanks!

Mac Mini (Late 2011) Quad-core i7, SSD and 14.5TB external storage; Panasonic 65" Plasma; Denon AVR-3310ci

Plex Media Server  -  Plex Home Theater  -  SABnzbd  -  SickBeard  -  CouchPotato  -  Minecraft Server   

2 aTV2s with Plex 0.11.0b2 ;  1 iPhone 5, 2 iPhone 5C, 1 iPhone 5S, iPad 2nd Gen, iPad 3rd Gen - all running Plex iOS

#18 poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:31 PM

I guess I'm going to need to build that Hackintosh (or a linux box) so I can have something to dedicate to this as doing it on 200+ movies will be painful on my main machine (if I want to get anything else done).

Thanks!

This is why I built my quadcore hackintosh....and its helped with so many other Plex things since then....

#19 Aargh-a-Knot

Aargh-a-Knot

Dedicated Member

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

DOH! :blink: One idiot point for me...

So is SVN GUI or CLI?

Thanks!

The SVN comes with both flavors.

I am saving an immense amount of time since I built my quad-core Hackintosh vs. the Mac Mini that I was encoding on before. Highly recommended.

#20 sleake

sleake

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:16 AM

I am saving an immense amount of time since I built my quad-core Hackintosh vs. the Mac Mini that I was encoding on before. Highly recommended.

Yeah, trying to run this on my iMac 2.16 with 3 gig ram just doesn't make trial and error much of an option. When one file takes HOURS (seems I might be able to do two files overnight), would take a week to play with different settings, see the differences and settle on what I want/like.

It'll probably be a few months before I can do a Hackintosh (annual review and possible bonus in June, fingers crossed), but it has moved much higher on my list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users