#81 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2893 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:55 AM

Ramanonos:

See the sticky thread for a cmd line using a native tool shipped by Microsoft, not a third party tool.

#82 Ramanonos

Ramanonos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

Umm, fiddler doesnt work:( And so Plex doesnt work. Jokes on me I guess after I paid money and get no feedback. Saying this is a workaround when it doesnt work is not a acceptable response. I have a brand spanking new windows 8 desktop as my main media server, with a plex windows 8 app running (not working). I paid for myplex, the Windows8 app, an ipad app and an android app. It used to be that only my Windows8 app wouldnt connect (running on same machine as my media server), and my mac and ipad apps did work. Now none of tje apps work. Just says the dreaded: cant connect to my server... For all apps. if I sit there for a long time and keep clicking refresh and test server, it sometimes works after a long time. Sometimes. For some reason, I can go to a URL and watch something from myplex.com using a browser, but that's not right:( It does however suggest my server is available (but all my apps think otherwise?). Uggh. Im not complaining about the money. Plex is awesome-when it works- but charging for a service+apps that doesnt work with an unworkable workaround and poor documentation is very frustrating. Someone else must have trouble getting Fiddler to run??? If you had trouble with fiddler and got it working, do you mind sharing your workaround for the workaround? I'm more than happy to document things if I get them working. Btw- I'm an engineer. If I can't get this going, Plex will stuggle to be mainstream, which is shame because it's really amazing.

#83 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2893 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:32 AM

Fiddler?

Try:

checknetisolation.exe LoopbackExempt -a -n=caf9e577.plex_aam28m9va5cke

cf http://forums.plexap...to-find-server/

#84 AmberViking

AmberViking

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

An easy way to add a loopback exemption to Plex is to use the following utility tool:

https://www.fiddler2...backUtility.exe

Launch the tool, select and mark Plex, then click "Save Changes". That's it!

This fixed it for me too. Maybe the devs should have a look at the code they're writing before they launch!

#85 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2893 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:17 AM

Maybe the devs should have a look at the code they're writing before they launch!

Indeed.

#86 jimstars

jimstars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:50 PM

Plex Dev Team,

So here we are  dec - jan - feb - mar and april ..  and it STILL does not work automatically (all the time)??

Thanks for the fiddle workaround -- but had to dig for it to find it.

If your automatic fix does not always work -- it did not for me --. stick a nice big message on the screen on the next release along with the 'cannot find server' message telling us where to look or what to do ...

J

#87 tomasswood

tomasswood

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

This fixed it for me too. Maybe the devs should have a look at the code they're writing before they launch!

That was the stupidest thing I have ever read.

Latest PMS Preview (Unraid OS latest)
Latest Android Kepler (Galaxy S3 GT-i9300, JB 4.1.2)

Latest Windows 8 App

Rasplex (256mb RPi)

#88 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2893 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:33 PM

Plex Dev Team,

So here we are  dec - jan - feb - mar and april ..  and it STILL does not work automatically (all the time)??

That's correct.  It's been a few months and Microsoft still haven't changed their security model.

Thanks for the fiddle workaround -- but had to dig for it to find it.

If your automatic fix does not always work -- it did not for me --. stick a nice big message on the screen on the next release along with the 'cannot find server' message telling us where to look or what to do ...

The problem is that inside the app, there's no way to distinguish between the server not being there and the server being there but being completely inaccessible.

We already do two things from PMS:

1) Attempt to create the exemption if the app is installed.  This unfortunately fails on some systems (not all, oddly) due to permissions.  We write an error message to the log in that case.  It's possible we should do more, I don't disagree.

2) Create the exemption during setup, when we have administrative privileges.  So when all else fails, a repair, reinstall or upgrade of PMS should do the trick.

I'm open to suggestions on how to make this better.  It's a major source of 1* reviews for us, so obviously we're not happy about it.  But we are limited to what's possible.

#89 tomasswood

tomasswood

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

1. I open Plex

2. Sometimes it has the Plex Logo for a while, then server not found

-Sometimes it goes to server not found

-Sometimes it goes straight in

3. Either way as soon as I click 'Reconnect; or whatever the middle button is, i'm in

I don't know how the login is all accessed, but maybe if it fails once, it can try and do a quick reconnect straight after? Since manually clicking connect works straight away, but the autologin only works half of the time. It makes sense that if the autologin fails, call the manual connect function attached to the middle button?

Latest Windows 8 App

Rasplex (256mb RPi)

#90 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2893 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

tomasswood:

That's odd.  Is it possible that the server is just taking a while to respond the first time, and the second time it responds faster?

One way to find out...  When you get the "server not found" message, is there a request for / in the Plex Media Server.log?

(Ultimately the question is whether the request is arriving.  If it's not arriving, then there's a network problem of some sort.  And I don't want to retry indefinitely, because that will make startup time even worse.)

#91 tomasswood

tomasswood

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

tomasswood:

That's odd.  Is it possible that the server is just taking a while to respond the first time, and the second time it responds faster?

One way to find out...  When you get the "server not found" message, is there a request for / in the Plex Media Server.log?

(Ultimately the question is whether the request is arriving.  If it's not arriving, then there's a network problem of some sort.  And I don't want to retry indefinitely, because that will make startup time even worse.)

That's what I have put it down to. The drives are probably spun down or something. It doesn't bother me, just thought I would note it. I will check the logs next time, cheers.

Latest Windows 8 App

Rasplex (256mb RPi)

#92 willcoq

willcoq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

An easy way to add a loopback exemption to Plex is to use the following utility tool:

https://www.fiddler2...backUtility.exe

Launch the tool, select and mark Plex, then click "Save Changes". That's it!

I just came here to say that I'm running Plex Media Server on Windows 8 with the Windows 8 Plex app on the same machine, and the Windows 8 Plex app couldn't find the server. I downloaded your exe, opened it, marked plex, saved changes, and PRESTO - it works! Thank you so much!

#93 hereisoblivion

hereisoblivion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

I have added the loopback (before it was posted in this thread,) using a different powershell script I threw together.

It solved the issue making the plex-app work when installed on the same computer as the plex server.

However, the thing I'm still having an issue with is that remote controls cannot access the Windows 8 Plex-App running if it's running on the same machine as the server.

I have half a dozen plex clients (android, windows, Windows 8, etc) and they all function perfectly fine and as expected except when attempting to be used as a remote control to the Windows 8 app running on the computer my Plex Media server is on.  (This problem existed before I added the loopback option for Plex, and continues after.)

Is there a fix for this?  Does that .exe reference previously fix remote control access as well?  Any further insight to this issue?

#94 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2893 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

hereisoblivion:

If you read the release notes, you'll see the following

- (Remote Control) Remote control won't work if the client's active server is on the same machine as the Plex app [Microsoft sandboxing issue]

The reason is that Microsoft prevents same-machine connections between modern and desktop processes on the same machine.  The only workaround we could apply is to have the remote controller clients send commands directly to the remote controllee client instead of relaying through the server.  I don't believe most of our clients do that at this point in time.

#95 jmk94903

jmk94903

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:12 AM

I had no problems with the Media Manager under Windows 8 Pro. (Right-click the Plex Media Server icon in the Information area and select Media Manager...)

Then, I installed the Windows 8.1 Preview; and I got the "Cannot display this page..." error when I tried to open Media Manager.

The solution was to uncheck the "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" box in Internet Explorer 11.

1. In IE 11, click the Gear icon and select Internet Options.

2. In Internet Options, click in the Advanced tab.

3. Scroll down 3/4 of the way to the bottom to the Security section.

4. Uncheck the "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" box.

5. Click OK.

6. Close IE 11 and reboot the computer for the setting change to take effect.

I hope this helps someone else either now with Windows 8.1 Preview or in August when Windows 8.1 with Internet Explorer 11 will be available for all Windows 8 users through Windows Update.

An alternative workaround, is to create a shortcut to http://localhost:32400/web. Using this address instead of 127.0.0.1 worked but requires a new shortcut on the Desktop.

John

#96 hereisoblivion

hereisoblivion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

hereisoblivion:

If you read the release notes, you'll see the following

The reason is that Microsoft prevents same-machine connections between modern and desktop processes on the same machine.  The only workaround we could apply is to have the remote controller clients send commands directly to the remote controllee client instead of relaying through the server.  I don't believe most of our clients do that at this point in time.

To be fair,  When I purchased the app as soon as it hit the Windows 8 Store, I don't believe there was any warnings about some of the bigger feature sets not being included.

I'm not looking for a refund by any means.  The product is still a standup product.  And I certainly understand that particular technical limitation, but given how big of deal using a remote control on a media center is, this seems like it would be a very big deal and have a quick fix for it, even if it required reworking the code behind remotely controlling it.

I much prefer the Windows 8 UI app over the standard Windows version of Plex.   And I would love for everyone in my family to have a completely seamless interface to use between systems in my home.  But as is, it works.  

Any chance there is a plan to make this (In my opinion,) crucial piece work in the Windows 8 UI app?  And if not, is there ANYTHING I can do personally to make it work?  I'm perfectly okay opening up security holes on my media server to my internal network and to itself.   

And a last "side" question............... why does the windows 8 app display itself as being remote controllable?  Clearly it's current state doesn't allow it to be remotely controlled.  So why does it publish itself on the network as one that can be?  If this is a feature set that is removed from the Windows 8 UI version, it would seem that making it so the app doesn't advertise itself as a system on your network that can be remotely controlled by Plex Remotes would help prevent some confusion.

#97 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2893 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

I can't think of anything you can do personally.

On our side, we need to update our clients to directly send remote control messages to the Windows Store app, instead of routing through a server. It will happen, it's just a question of when. (I'm told the latest Android app already does this, btw. Does that not work for you?)

Now, there's one more issue here, and it's also in release notes:

- (Remote Control) Most navigation commands don't work yet [WinRT issue]

So e.g. left/right/up/down actions just don't work. Play/pause/etc do.

The problem here is that the modern Windows API (aka WinRT) doesn't offer the ability to simulate keyboard presses. So applying a remote command like "move left" is very difficult, because we can't just drop a "left cursor" keystroke into the message queue. So we'd have to manually implement "moving left" in every UI scenario, which is a fairly involved bit of work. There may be a good way to do this for the general case, but I don't know of one.

Anyway... You may be right that we should stop advertising that the Windows Store app is remote-controllable when it has these limitations. The thinking was that the subset that it does implement would be useful to users. But shipping partial functionality rarely adds value, so that may have been wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users