• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 djspectre9

djspectre9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

I recently installed Roku HD boxes on all my TV's other than the one my Mac Mini 2012 is hooked up to, running the server. I have had no issues streaming local content to the Rokus. However, The video channels that I have installed on the server (NBC, ABC, etc..) are giving me a lot of trouble. When I choose a video to play, it will say "receiving" for quite some time, and sometimes it will start to play the video. Sometimes it just gets stuck there forever, and I have to hit the roku home button to get out. And if the video is playing, and I fast-foward or rewind, the same thing happens every time.. just gets stuck receiving.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this?

#2 rbowser

rbowser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

I've only been using Plex with Roku for a short time now, and was having the same problem of streaming being interrupted, and with Roku stuck on "receiving." Sometimes I was unable to get back to Roku's Home and would have to unplug the box, turn off the Plex server, plug Roku in again and start over.

What's apparently fixed it for me was adding the Plex exe file to the Exceptions list in my Avast anti-virus program. I was inspired to do that when the Plex channel on Roku was coming up blank, as if there was no content - I could see something was aggressively blocking it, and the logical thing was to see if it was Avast doing its protection thing.

It may be a bit early to be sure if this has fixed my problem, but I've had about 2 days of uninterrupted service now.

So, maybe you have an anti-virus program blocking the internet streaming material.

rbowser

#3 shopgirl284

shopgirl284

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1326 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

I was having some trouble with lockups too.

Mine seemed to occur when I was watching channels that I had loaded through the Unsupported App Store (UAS) channel. I would have to exit and unplug the Roku to get it to function properly again. I think my problem was more related to the Unsupported App Store (UAS) channel being corrupt and needing updating. I deleted all the channels I use through the UAS channel, deleted and reloaded the UAS channel itself, and then reloaded all the channels (one channel I ended up having to delete and reload again to get it working properly). This seemed to fix the problems I was having. If you use the UAS channel, I would definitely suggest deleting and reinstalling it.

I have not had any problems with other channels like NBC, CBS, or ABC. Since I am not sure what caused the corruption of the UAS channel or the one channel that even messed up after the complete reload, it is possible that your channels have gotten corrupted somehow. Try deleting and reloading a few of them. Keep in mind, that when I first reloaded these channels, there were a few errors in the log the first time I ran them, but they have resolved themselves after a second reboot of Plex. I would definitely look at your plexapp system log and see if it is giving you any critical errors.

I've only been using Plex with Roku for a short time now, and was having the same problem of streaming being interrupted, and with Roku stuck on "receiving." Sometimes I was unable to get back to Roku's Home and would have to unplug the box, turn off the Plex server, plug Roku in again and start over.

What's apparently fixed it for me was adding the Plex exe file to the Exceptions list in my Avast anti-virus program. I was inspired to do that when the Plex channel on Roku was coming up blank, as if there was no content - I could see something was aggressively blocking it, and the logical thing was to see if it was Avast doing its protection thing.

It may be a bit early to be sure if this has fixed my problem, but I've had about 2 days of uninterrupted service now.

So, maybe you have an anti-virus program blocking the internet streaming material.

rbowser

I had not thought about my firewall settings until I just saw your post. I just added the program and will see what happens. I am also seeing I have had some blocked request from within my local network from Windows Operating System for the 32400 port that Plex uses. I am wondering if I may need to set up a policy to address that issue as well.
Running a Roku 2XS with Plex Media Server on a laptop with an Intel I-5 (2.3 GHz) processor, 4GB RAM, and Window 7 Pro

#4 juliecordray

juliecordray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

I am really unfamiliar with how to do anything through plex. I want to add channels through the Unsupported app store, but first i dont know how to get to the unsupported app store through plex. it is not showing up at all. I am using a roku 2XS. I need help please!!!

#5 shopgirl284

shopgirl284

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1326 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

You download the file for the unsupported appstore.

The file is listed in the first post here: http://forums.plexap...orted-appstore/. This first post also give you instructions and you can ask questions there if you have problems with the plugin.

then unzip the file into a folder, then cut and paste that folder into your Plugins folder on Plex Media Server. The best way to know where this plugin folder is located is to right click on the little Plex icon that shows the program is running in the background on your computer and choose the Open Plugins Folder option.

The unsupported appstore shows up in your channels as an old computer with a face and two rows of zeros below it with a black background.
Running a Roku 2XS with Plex Media Server on a laptop with an Intel I-5 (2.3 GHz) processor, 4GB RAM, and Window 7 Pro