• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mdmagnusson

mdmagnusson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

I've just set up the Plex server on a Windows 8 machine and the Plex WP7 app on my Nokia Lumia 920. I love the look and feel of everything and I'm very impressed by the library management.

Everything has worked very well so far except that and I've been unable to solve a problem with a very low framerate. It seems to not want to exceed ~15fps.

I've tried changing the stream quality but so far this has had no affect on the framerate.

I'm really excited about being able to use Plex on WP8 and I'd love any tips or ideas as to how I can resolve this issue.

#2 JSSR

JSSR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

I'm also having the same issue on the same phone.

#3 justinhow

justinhow

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

I have noticed that when transcoding certain mp4 videos the processor is running very high (80%).

Odd thing is that my SD mp4 files use more server transcoding power than my 720p mp4 files.

Check whether the server is close to 100% out when you have these slow frame rates.

PS I am using WP8 and a Nokia 920 and play back is fine as I have a powerful Core i7 proc. Using latest PMS 0.9.7.8

Plex Media Server running on Windows Server 2012 R2, Intel i5-4570, 8TB, 16GB RAM, Pioneer VSX-2020, Epson TW-2000 Projector, Samsung LE46C750

#4 mdmagnusson

mdmagnusson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

I have noticed that when transcoding certain mp4 videos the processor is running very high (80%).

Odd thing is that my SD mp4 files use more server transcoding power than my 720p mp4 files.

Check whether the server is close to 100% out when you have these slow frame rates.

PS I am using WP8 and a Nokia 920 and play back is fine as I have a powerful Core i7 proc. Using latest PMS 0.9.7.8

Thank you for the reply. The server version I'm running is 0.9.8.8. I've checked the CPU load during transcoding and it never goes above 27%. The server is running on a Windows 8 system with an Intel i7 2600k processor, no particular load on the 802.11n wireless network. If there's a bottleneck on the server I cant find it.

When I run the Windows 8 (desktop) Plex client the framerate/transcoding is perfect.

I'm really at a loss as to what the problem is.

#5 mdmagnusson

mdmagnusson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:06 AM

Ok, I finally figured out the problem and in my case it was very much human error. So for anyone else experiencing the same problem this is what I was screwing up:

I was working under the incorrect assumption that playback quality was defined only on the server and not in the client. As it turns out the the client settings are very low by default even for Wi-Fi and as soon as I tuned them up the frame rate was excellent. I hadn't even realized configuring the streaming quality client side was an option.

I hope this helps someone else out in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users