22 replies to this topic

#1 Scoobydoofus

Scoobydoofus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

Hi,

Plex on my Roku LT updated to the new version last night (with Recently Added and On Deck in the homescreen, sorry I don't know how to check what version number it's running).

Since then, movies won't play properly. They run for maybe 20 mins, then it brings up the loading screen and starts from the beginning again. If I fast forward to the point I was at, it plays for another 20 mins or so and then the loading screen comes up and it skips back. I tried several files that have played properly before and experienced the same issue.

It doesn't happen with TV shows, however it does take a while to bring up the play menu when I select a TV episode. There is no delay when selecting series or season, only when clicking the individual episode. The episode starts with no delay when I select the Play option.

I have tried the test channel, and experience the same issue.

Is there any way to roll back to a previous version until this issue is resolved?

#2 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

Hmm, nothing really changed around video playback. Once the video starts playing control is entirely handed over to the Roku's video player. Take a look at the troubleshooting video playback thread. If nothing from there helps resolve the issue then supplying some of the information mentioned will help us look into the issue.

The Roku channel store only has a single version of the channel available, so there's no way to roll back channels on a Roku. The only way to do it would be to check out the source code, roll back to an earlier commit, and load the channel from source in dev mode.

#3 lhodgkins

lhodgkins

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hi,

Plex on my Roku LT updated to the new version last night (with Recently Added and On Deck in the homescreen, sorry I don't know how to check what version number it's running).

Since then, movies won't play properly. They run for maybe 20 mins, then it brings up the loading screen and starts from the beginning again. If I fast forward to the point I was at, it plays for another 20 mins or so and then the loading screen comes up and it skips back. I tried several files that have played properly before and experienced the same issue.

It doesn't happen with TV shows, however it does take a while to bring up the play menu when I select a TV episode. There is no delay when selecting series or season, only when clicking the individual episode. The episode starts with no delay when I select the Play option.

I have tried the test channel, and experience the same issue.

Is there any way to roll back to a previous version until this issue is resolved?

I am seeing the same thing since updating to 2.5.1.. I think a bug was inadvertently introduced in either 2.5 or 2.5.1 (BTW the same movie plays fine in Duffed Plex)

Server: 2009 Mac Mini C2D
Clients: Mac, Windows, Roku, Roku2, iOS, Android, PleXBMC,

#4 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

If one of you can send me your Plex Media Server.log, that'd be very helpful. I have only one potential idea. There was a tweak to the way the Roku channel pings the server about transcodes. It might be possible that the Plex Media Server has given up on the transcoded stream because it thinks the client disappeared. That's a total shot in the dark though without looking at some logs.

#5 Scoobydoofus

Scoobydoofus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

Plex on my Roku was working with no problems before the update, it's the only thing that has changed. I haven't fiddled with any settings anywhere.

I've attached the log.

Attached Files

#6 Scoobydoofus

Scoobydoofus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Also, here's the info requested in the Troubleshooting thread:

1: Content is coming from my server on my local network, running on a Mac Mini. Files are stored on USB drives. Plex Media Centre is running on the same computer, with no problems.

2: The files are being transcoded.

3: I haven't fiddled with the quality but the problem doesn't appear to be related to that, it's not stuttering or buffering.

4: The files are all AVI files, I have a few MKV files but I haven't tried them. I believe the file uses MPEG4 and AC3 codecs.

5: File works perfectly on Plex Media Centre, haven't tried it on iOS.

6: It's a Roku LT, fully up to date as far as I know.

7: Log was attached in previous post.

#7 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

In this case it's the Plex Media Server.log that's more interesting than the Roku logs. On my hunch about the server giving up on the transcode client, I've tweaked the way the transcode session is pinged in the PlexTest channel. Can you try using PlexTest and let me know how it goes? You can install it by going to https://owner.roku.com/Add/PlexTest.

#8 lostone

lostone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

I am also having issues since I updated. I have a Roku LT and Roku 2 XD. Both have the new Plex update and since then I can't even watch TV shows. I get maybe 6 minutes in and it says Retrieving then starts the episode over. I have experience no other streaming issues and I even tried playing back an episode of a show at half the speed automatic was using (1.5mpbs 480p instead of 3.0mbps 720p). I have tried multiple files of multiple formats (divx and mkv) all of a smaller format typically 480p, nothing actually encoded higher than that.

I have rebooted my router, removed files from the directory plex is grabbing from in case it was overloaded, etc.

Server is 0.9.6.1 on a LAN computer to router then wifi to roku.

#9 ClassH

ClassH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

I am having the same issue. About 5-7 minutes into a tv show it will error out (server has stopped responding or something). Before the update to 9.7.7 I had zero problems, do not even think it crashed once. I have it set to always transcode but does the same thing on automatic. I just tried the plextest channel and it seems to be working after about 10 minutes which is longer than it has made it before.

Roku XS
wired network
Updated everything.

#10 JCWohlschlag

JCWohlschlag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

In this case it's the Plex Media Server.log that's more interesting than the Roku logs. On my hunch about the server giving up on the transcode client, I've tweaked the way the transcode session is pinged in the PlexTest channel. Can you try using PlexTest and let me know how it goes? You can install it by going to https://owner.roku.com/Add/PlexTest.

I was also experiencing spontaneous rewinds to the beginning of the video (or last point from which the video resumed) as well as spontaneous "video unavailable" messages ever since updating to version 0.9.7.7.339 of Plex Media Server on Mac OS X. I view video on a Roku 2 XS. I have installed the PlexTest channel, and it seems to eliminate the issue entirely, so whatever you changed, kudos to you!

#11 Scoobydoofus

Scoobydoofus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

I just tried the same movie in the test channel, and it played past the point where it's been stopping all day, so you seem to have cracked it.

I'm off to bed now but I'll try a full movie tomorrow and see of it goes. Thanks for the prompt attention!

#12 MMarcoux66

MMarcoux66

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:25 AM

Had the same issue with the Roku running from a Windows server. Test channel fixed it completely.

#13 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Great, thanks guys! I'll work on getting that change out to the official channel.

#14 dvdchance

dvdchance

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

I'm having a somewhat different issue since the updates to both the PMS and the Roku channel.

When playing a TV show it will freeze at the loading...please wait screen right when the show completes, rather then return to the playback screen. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does the remote is unusable and I have to power cycle the Roku off. When I go back the show list as parctically watched and resume with about 2 or 3 seconds left. The second attempt has always brought me properly to the playback screen.

I know it's happened on avi files and I think once on a mp4 but I couldn't swear to it. So far I've only had it happen with TV but then I haven't watched any movies since the updates.

#15 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

FYI, those PlexTest fixes made it into an official update yesterday.

I'm having a somewhat different issue since the updates to both the PMS and the Roku channel.

When playing a TV show it will freeze at the loading...please wait screen right when the show completes, rather then return to the playback screen. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does the remote is unusable and I have to power cycle the Roku off. When I go back the show list as parctically watched and resume with about 2 or 3 seconds left. The second attempt has always brought me properly to the playback screen.

I know it's happened on avi files and I think once on a mp4 but I couldn't swear to it. So far I've only had it happen with TV but then I haven't watched any movies since the updates.

Yes, I've received a couple reports like this (including before the recent updates), but it's never consistently reproducible and I've never seen it. So it's on our radar for sure, but I don't know what's causing the issue.

#16 dvdchance

dvdchance

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

FYI, those PlexTest fixes made it into an official update yesterday.

Yes, I've received a couple reports like this (including before the recent updates), but it's never consistently reproducible and I've never seen it. So it's on our radar for sure, but I don't know what's causing the issue.

Only speaking for myself, but I think prior to the recent updates it's happened to me just once or twice in the year + I've had my Roku's. It's happened 4 times in 3 days since Sunday.

#17 dvdchance

dvdchance

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

It happened to my unit twice yesterday, so something has apparently changed to account for this increased frequency. Is their anything I can do to help troubleshoot this from the users end?

I also noticed besides the Plex updates, my Roku FW was updated as well.

#18 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hard to say. If you notice any sort of pattern (always happens for a particular video, for a set of videos that have particular codecs, happens after watching N videos without exiting the channel, ...), then definitely share that info. Otherwise about all you can do is make a note of the time that it crashed. It's sometimes possible to report issues to Roku and have them look up diagnostic information based on serial number and time of crash.

#19 dvdchance

dvdchance

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hard to say. If you notice any sort of pattern (always happens for a particular video, for a set of videos that have particular codecs, happens after watching N videos without exiting the channel, ...), then definitely share that info. Otherwise about all you can do is make a note of the time that it crashed. It's sometimes possible to report issues to Roku and have them look up diagnostic information based on serial number and time of crash.

I've been watching the Moonlighting show lately and it has happened on the last 4 episodes I've watched.

Here's the media info on the last one:

General
Complete name : /Volumes/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive/TV Seagate/Moonlighting/Season 4/Moonlighting - s04e01 - A Trip to the Moon.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 351 MiB
Duration : 48mn 56s
Overall bit rate : 1 004 Kbps
Movie name : MOONLIGHTING_S4_D1.Title1.DVDRip
Writing application : Lavf52.33.0
Original source form/Name : MOONLIGHTING_S4_D1
Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Simple@L3
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 800 Kbps
Width : 600 pixels
Height : 452 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.098
Stream size : 280 MiB (80%)
Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)
Audio
ID : 1
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : 2000
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 67.2 MiB (19%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 32 ms (0.96 video frame)

But I've watched the previous almost 3 full seasons previous without issue. Heres the media info for one that completed fine:

General
Complete name : /Volumes/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive/TV Seagate/Moonlighting/Season 2/Moonlighting - s02e05 - My Fair David.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 351 MiB
Duration : 50mn 14s
Overall bit rate : 977 Kbps
Movie name : MOONLIGHTING_D3.Title4.DVDRip
Writing application : Lavf52.33.0
Original source form/Name : MOONLIGHTING_D3
Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Simple@L3
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 775 Kbps
Width : 600 pixels
Height : 452 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.119
Stream size : 278 MiB (79%)
Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)
Audio
ID : 1
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : 2000
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 69.0 MiB (20%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 32 ms (0.77 video frame)

Not sure if this helps at all, maybe there is something with the file that could be a clue.

#20 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3341 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Well, the media info isn't the *exact* same, but it's pretty dang close. The biggest difference I see is the frame rate, which wouldn't be near the top of my list as likely culprits. Want to temporarily share the file with me and I'll see if I can reproduce? If you want to just get me the file somehow (Dropbox?) that's fine, or you can temporarily share a section with me using myPlex, my username is schuyler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users