• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 buttonsrtoys

buttonsrtoys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

This is a repost. I posted to the Windows forum, but see it was more appropriate for this forum.

I'm new to Plex and am running into trouble with many of the Channel plugins. I get an error when I try to watch them. To debug, I went to the server and tried watching the problematic channels on the Media Center and still have trouble. E.g., when I click on the Sesame Street plugin, I get a choice of "By Subject" "By Theme" or "By Character". When I click on any of these I get the error "The media server is not responding". Other plug in channels, such as PBSkids and The Daily Show work fine, though some of the shows for PBSkids are empty.

I've rebooted the server and client several times to no avail. Are many of these plugins broken or is something else happening? Below is the log from the Sesame Street plugin. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2012-12-14 23:49:29,641 (258) : DEBUG (runtime:655) - Handling request GET /video/sesameStreet
2012-12-14 23:49:29,641 (258) : DEBUG (runtime:751) - Found route matching /video/sesameStreet
2012-12-14 23:49:29,641 (258) : WARNING (objects:419) - (Framework) WARNING: SearchDirectoryItem is deprecated. Use InputDirectoryItem instead.
2012-12-14 23:49:29,651 (258) : DEBUG (runtime:851) - Response: [200] MediaContainer, 3189 bytes
2012-12-14 23:49:43,440 (11dc) : DEBUG (runtime:655) - Handling request GET /video/sesameStreet
2012-12-14 23:49:43,440 (11dc) : DEBUG (runtime:751) - Found route matching /video/sesameStreet
2012-12-14 23:49:43,450 (11dc) : WARNING (objects:419) - (Framework) WARNING: SearchDirectoryItem is deprecated. Use InputDirectoryItem instead.
2012-12-14 23:49:43,450 (11dc) : DEBUG (runtime:851) - Response: [200] MediaContainer, 3189 bytes
2012-12-14 23:49:45,260 (dc8) : DEBUG (runtime:655) - Handling request GET /:/plugins/com.plexapp.plugins.sesamestreet/root
2012-12-14 23:49:45,260 (dc8) : DEBUG (runtime:751) - Found route matching /:/plugins/com.plexapp.plugins.sesamestreet/root
2012-12-14 23:49:45,260 (dc8) : DEBUG (runtime:851) - Response: [302] Redirect, 0 bytes
2012-12-14 23:49:45,260 (dbc) : DEBUG (runtime:655) - Handling request GET /video/sesameStreet/:/function/Browse?function_args=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
2012-12-14 23:49:45,270 (dbc) : DEBUG (runtime:751) - Found route matching /video/sesameStreet/:/function/Browse
2012-12-14 23:49:45,270 (dbc) : DEBUG (runtime:143) - Calling function 'Browse'
2012-12-14 23:49:45,290 (dbc) : DEBUG (networking:166) - Requesting 'http://www.sesamestreet.org/browsevideosbysubject'
2012-12-14 23:49:45,490 (dbc) : ERROR (networking:213) - Error opening URL 'http://www.sesamestreet.org/browsevideosbysubject'
2012-12-14 23:49:45,490 (dbc) : CRITICAL (core:561) - Exception when calling function 'Browse' (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Framework.bundle\Contents\Resources\Versions\2\Python\Framework\code\sandbox.py", line 294, in call_named_function
result = f(*args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Sesame Street.bundle\Contents\Code\__init__.py", line 28, in Browse
page = HTML.ElementFromURL(url, cacheTime=1200, values=values)
File "C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Framework.bundle\Contents\Resources\Versions\2\Python\Framework\api\parsekit.py", line 464, in ElementFromURL
method=method,
File "C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Framework.bundle\Contents\Resources\Versions\2\Python\Framework\api\networkkit.py", line 67, in _http_request
req = self._core.networking.http_request(url, *args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Framework.bundle\Contents\Resources\Versions\2\Python\Framework\components\networking.py", line 416, in http_request
return HTTPRequest(self._core, url, data, h, url_cache, encoding, errors, timeout, immediate, sleep, opener, follow_redirects, method)
File "C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Framework.bundle\Contents\Resources\Versions\2\Python\Framework\components\networking.py", line 141, in __init__
self.load()
File "C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Framework.bundle\Contents\Resources\Versions\2\Python\Framework\components\networking.py", line 177, in load
f = self._opener.open(req, timeout=self._timeout)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\python26.zip\urllib2.py", line 397, in open
response = meth(req, response)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\python26.zip\urllib2.py", line 510, in http_response
'http', request, response, code, msg, hdrs)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\python26.zip\urllib2.py", line 435, in error
return self._call_chain(*args)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\python26.zip\urllib2.py", line 369, in _call_chain
result = func(*args)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\python26.zip\urllib2.py", line 518, in http_error_default
raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)
HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

2012-12-14 23:49:45,490 (dbc) : DEBUG (runtime:851) - Response: [404] NoneType, 0 bytes
2012-12-14 23:49:45,551 (127c) : DEBUG (runtime:655) - Handling request GET /video/sesameStreet
2012-12-14 23:49:45,551 (127c) : DEBUG (runtime:751) - Found route matching /video/sesameStreet
2012-12-14 23:49:45,561 (127c) : WARNING (objects:419) - (Framework) WARNING: SearchDirectoryItem is deprecated. Use InputDirectoryItem instead.
2012-12-14 23:49:45,561 (127c) : DEBUG (runtime:851) - Response: [200] MediaContainer, 3189 bytes

#2 RandyMcD

RandyMcD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

On a Mac running OS X 10.6.8, Snow Leopard, I'm getting the exact same message when trying to install or uninstall channels through the UnsupportedAppStore: "The media server is not responding." With a chintzy sad face behind it.

If I try to browse YouTube through the Plex Media Manager, no matter what I select, I end up with just an empty screen.

If I go to Settings/myPlex in the Plex Media Manager, I see a red "x" next to the message: "There was a problem publishing your server." There's a "Retry" link next to it, but no matter how many times I select "Retry," it goes back to the same message.

Everything was working fine before I updated Plex a week or so ago. Now it's a complete mess.

I'm utterly astonished that there are no other mentions of this "The media server is not responding" problem or the "There was a problem publishing your server" problem, and no help and no solutions.

I've spent hours trying to debug it. I'm really fed up with it.

#3 tpcl

tpcl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

I have the same problem I am trying to publish my macBook iPhoto library on the plex server but as soon as I go into the media manager it just says server not responding
It is the same for iTunes but the movies works fine
I have the same set up on my Mac Mini which I use as a server I can stream my movies fine but can not access any of the channels
doesn’t seem to be a way of contacting Plaex tgechnical support and no ione on the forums seems to be reporting a prioblem with channels on the Mac. Im running Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and iPhoto II
any help would be appreciated

#4 RandyMcD

RandyMcD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

Heh. Yeah, it seems that the Plexnicians are also "not responding." I'm perPlexed.

#5 Siamsys

Siamsys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

Having the exact same problem on Windows Professional 7 64-bit and Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit.

#6 Siamsys

Siamsys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Having the exact same problem on Windows Professional 7 64-bit and Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit.

After further investigation while trying to get the UnSupportedAppStore to work, I found a couple of things that may be helpful to those experiencing this problem:

1. Under Ubuntu linux, I found a permissions problem on the unsupported bundle files. After changing ownership of the bundles files from my user account to the plex account (sudo chown plex <bundle_files>) and restarting the server, I was able to successfully add and update channels, but I still had the "server not responding" screen when I attempted to view any of the channels.

2. I found that in accessing the server from a different device (in my case, a Roku 2 player), I was able to view the channels. The root problem seems to be with the display function in server itself. Try viewing remotely to see if it works for you. I have not yet tried to view using the PMC Home Theater on the same desktop that runs the server, but I suspect that it may work.

#7 ajplex

ajplex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Same issue here when attempting to watch 99% of my channels through plex/web from the PMS machine or other plex/web interface. I say most channels because I was able to get an unsupported movie channel to play on the host computer, but no PBS, Charlie Rose, etc. just a 'The media server is not responding.' :( face message. Hard to pinpoint.

I HAVE had luck streaming music and images through plex/web as well as ALL media and channels to the Roku. Except espn3. I have not tried from my mobile device, as I do not have the plex app.

I'm running my PMS on a Windows 8 Pro 64 bit machine with plenty of muscle.
I'm running my account as administrator, so no issues with access or permissions that I can tell.

I'm wondering if it's a bug in the 64bit setup of plex?
Any additional thoughts out there on this one, it's very frustrating.

#8 splintex

splintex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

I'm also having this error when trying to view the iPlayer channel, it is REALLY frustrating me. I can't see any channels on my WP8 device to test, and on my surface, the win8 app doesn't appear to support channels. On my LG TV the bbc channel shows up, but I cannot play any of the files.

HELP!

#9 tpcl

tpcl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

with regard to the issues with "server not responding" messages when trying to display i-Tunes or i-Photo channels in Plex Server. I have now been able to view my i-Photo and i-Tunes channels on my MacBook in the Plexserver app, so this may just have been it took ages to catalog them. ( all I got was a server not responding error previously) ie when I open the iphoto and i-Tunes channel within the Plex server app it displays all the events and albums songs and playlists etc. just like it does the movies

I can also see these channels on my i-Phone 3GS using the Plex app (which incidentally works great apart from the fact it does not seem to recognise all my album names from my i-Photo library), and I can both load an i-Photo image and play an i-Tunes song over my wi-fi network on the iPhone so it would seem the issue is with the LG TV support and the channels. I did find a post that said that the channels were "hidden" somewhere in the My Apps part of the LG Smart TV menus but I have not yet been able to check this out and cant find anything obvious. I did get a Tweet from Plex to say that a number of people had reported this bug so hopefully we may be able to see a fix shortly.

Just to recap on my config. I have a Mac Mini Server with my films on external 1Tb disk. Plex Server Version 0.9.7.7.339 (on the Mac Mini) streams movies no problem to LG6200 Smart TV (2012) and also to MacBook and to iPhone 3GS using Plex App

i-Tunes library on Mac Mini unable to see the i-Tunes channels on the LG Smart TV can see it on the MacBook and i-Phone

MacBook Air with my i-Photo Library running Plex server ...... as above but unable to view the iPhoto library on the TV the channel "folder" now appears but when I try and open it, it just comes up with a message on the TV saying "file not found"

If anyone has successfully viewed their i-Photo library from a Mac Running Plex server onto a Smart TV then let me know ;-)

#10 Gerk

Gerk

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Ok wow ... I have to say folks that this is the most scattered conversation I think I've seen on here in a while (but they all seem to have the same outcome). It's not really helpful for a lot of "me too" type posts with a similar error, especially when they almost certainly have nothing in common with each other except the error message (which is about as generic as it gets).

The end result is that you're all having problems, but let's recaps what the issues are here (and all presented in < 10 posts I might add!):

• Sesame Street channel - problems with very specific sub components
  • Installing channels from unsupported app store
  • publishing / iPhoto pics
  • a complaint about no plex'ians responding (to what we're not sure, we've already got 3 completely unrelated issues here so far)
  • Ubuntu permissions problems for PMS (resolved it seems)
  • Plex/Web channel viewing issues with Win 8 Pro PMS
  • iPlayer playback (on an LG TV?), Win8 app missing channel support on Surface
  • viewing iPhoto library on a Smart TV

Sorry guys ... just don't know where to start aside from letting you know that while you all see the same error message there's nothing in common about any of your issues and it's likely that most of them are not even channel specific issues (with the exception of the original post with the Sesame Street Channel) so the chances of getting answers in this area are quite small. They all seem to be client/server/hardware specific and probably best asked in the appropriate forums for your devices/software versions/platform support areas. Not meaning any offence to the posters in this thread, just trying to point out a likely reason why no one has answered any of the questions.

#11 Gerk

Gerk

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

This is a repost. I posted to the Windows forum, but see it was more appropriate for this forum.

I'm new to Plex and am running into trouble with many of the Channel plugins. I get an error when I try to watch them. To debug, I went to the server and tried watching the problematic channels on the Media Center and still have trouble. E.g., when I click on the Sesame Street plugin, I get a choice of "By Subject" "By Theme" or "By Character". When I click on any of these I get the error "The media server is not responding". Other plug in channels, such as PBSkids and The Daily Show work fine, though some of the shows for PBSkids are empty.

I've rebooted the server and client several times to no avail. Are many of these plugins broken or is something else happening? Below is the log from the Sesame Street plugin. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The channel does seem broken, likely due to a rework of the Sesame Street web site. There's nothing you can do on your end of things and you're not doing anything wrong, it is indeed broken. I'll see if I can find this and report it so it's a known issue (if it's not already).

#12 sander1

sander1

Channel Developer/Admin

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2595 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

I'm also having this error when trying to view the iPlayer channel, it is REALLY frustrating me.

According to your ip address, you're not in the UK. iPlayer is available to UK residents only.

Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location

Problem with indexing files? Check the Naming Guide

#13 atdnr

atdnr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Hello,

I'm running Plex on a Win 7 machine and a Sony Google TV Bluray.
I have the latest Silverlight and Flash players installed.
When I navigate to my Hulu que through Plex on the Win7 machine, and try to play a video in my que, I get the message, "The media server is not responding".

If I try to do play a video from my Hulu que through Google TV,I receive the message, "Plex was unable to play the media, as there was an unexpected problem with the media player. Sadly..."

I get the same results when trying to use the "Food Network" channel.

But, when trying to use ABC family, everything works just fine.

See as my main goal is to be able to use the Hulu channel, this is quite frustrating.

Can anyone provide some answers/suggestions?

#14 Gerk

Gerk

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Hello,

I'm running Plex on a Win 7 machine and a Sony Google TV Bluray.
I have the latest Silverlight and Flash players installed.
When I navigate to my Hulu que through Plex on the Win7 machine, and try to play a video in my que, I get the message, "The media server is not responding".

If I try to do play a video from my Hulu que through Google TV,I receive the message, "Plex was unable to play the media, as there was an unexpected problem with the media player. Sadly..."

I get the same results when trying to use the "Food Network" channel.

But, when trying to use ABC family, everything works just fine.

See as my main goal is to be able to use the Hulu channel, this is quite frustrating.

Can anyone provide some answers/suggestions?

Read the post about 3 posts above this:

http://forums.plexap...post__p__333130

And then start a new thread.

#15 sander1

sander1

Channel Developer/Admin

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2595 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Heh. Yeah, it seems that the Plexnicians are also "not responding." I'm perPlexed.

@RandyMcD:
Your original message was posted: 18 December 2012 - 08:28 AM
Your complaint message was posted: 19 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

That's less than 24 hours later... Also, these kind of replies do not make you very popular and will only contribute in people ignoring you. Be aware that almost everyone helping out on the forums is a volunteer contributing code (like the UnSupported AppStore and its contents) and/or their time to help out other people.

#16 sander1

sander1

Channel Developer/Admin

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2595 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

• Sesame Street channel - this channel is currently broken, I've marked it as broken and will take a look at it if and when time permits.
  • Installing channels from unsupported app store - See the UnSupported AppStore thread. If your problem is with one of the channels installed through the UnSupported AppStore you're probably out of luck. Those channels are... unsupported. You can try and find out who the original author is and contact him/her.
  • a complaint about no plex'ians responding - see my previous post
  • Ubuntu permissions problems for PMS (resolved it seems) - Good to see this has been resolved. I've added some info to the UnSupported AppStore thread as well
  • iPlayer playback (on an LG TV?) and the "The media server is not responding" error - It seems that some of the channels that have not yet been updated to work on the newer framwork (BBC iPlayer is one of them) do not work in Plex/Web. It'll take some time to get each and every channel upgraded, but the list is not that long anymore (iPlayer is one of the few ones on there).

#17 splintex

splintex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

According to your ip address, you're not in the UK. iPlayer is available to UK residents only.

Correct, I recently moved to Australia, but still have current UK TV license fees and can access iPlayer fine via my web browser.

#18 cooperc

cooperc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:31 AM

I'm getting a media server not responding message but only with PBS kids, all the other channels seem to work fine.  i'm in canada, is this a regional problem?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users