• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jamzkroll

jamzkroll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

When it is using DirectPlay the screen is black, no sound or video. When I switch to transcode it sticks with the show background with the loading bar (or dots I should say). Have had nothing but problems with this app, first it wasn't connecting, after struggling with that I find that the video won't play.

If anyone has suggestions let me know. The video files are both .avi.

#2 IanB!

IanB!

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

Hey, first of all, i'm really sorry to hear that you are having so many issues. Let's see if I can summarize the problems you have discovered and how we're attempting to resolve them...

Connectivity Issues
  • There was an issue discovered when connecting to a local Plex Media Server which currently requires a manual workaround. The next release of PMS (available soon) will contain an automated mechanism to work around this
  • On some networks, GDM (the auto discovery mechanism) was not reliable. We've done further work on this to hopefully ensure that if PMS is running on your network, we will find it. (Available in next Win8 release)

Direct Play AVI
  • It has been determined that 'Modern UI' Windows applications (aka Metro) are unable to play AVI files over HTTP. The Windows internal video player will instead attempt to download the entire file before it begins playback. This is something i've raised to Microsoft but a temporary workaround will be to disable Direct Play for AVI content (Available in next Win8 release)

Transcoding Reliability/Performance
  • When transcoding, the player can periodically buffer. This can reduced by lowering your quality settings in the applications 'Preferences'. We have also done further work in PMS to try and improve things. (Available in next PMS & Win8 release).

I'm sorry that I can give you exact timeframes on when the different components will be released. I can say that we are aware of some of the difficulties are users are experiencing and are working hard to resolve them as quickly as possible. If you have any further questions or suggestions how to improve the application, please let me know!

Ian
Plugins: SkyGo, LoveFilm-Player, Crackle, Blinkbox, Stuff.tv, 5by5, RWC2011, FXUK, Jerry Seinfeld, VideoJug, SoundCloud, Ziln
Rewitten: YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Pitchfork.TV, National Geographic
Blog: Plex Plugin DevBlog

#3 jamzkroll

jamzkroll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

The problem with transcoding is that it doesn't load ever. It sticks on the page with the show's background with the loading dots. This may not be a problem of you allowed local playback.

#4 stekum

stekum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

The problem with transcoding is that it doesn't load ever. It sticks on the page with the show's background with the loading dots. This may not be a problem of you allowed local playback.

Same here unfortunately - no Chance to Play Video. Using a Surface RT.

#5 jamzkroll

jamzkroll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Same here unfortunately - no Chance to Play Video. Using a Surface RT.

Let me know if you have/find a solution

#6 mtherien

mtherien

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:30 AM

Direct Play AVI

• It has been determined that 'Modern UI' Windows applications (aka Metro) are unable to play AVI files over HTTP. The Windows internal video player will instead attempt to download the entire file before it begins playback. This is something i've raised to Microsoft but a temporary workaround will be to disable Direct Play for AVI content (Available in next Win8 release)

I am having a similar problem with video playback, however the video file is not AVI, it's MP4. I am also experiencing poor transcoding when plsying in Windows 8. Other plstforms seem to transcode without problems.

I'm glad to see you continue to work on fixing these problems. My next wish is to download locally like the iOS app.

Keep up the good work.

#7 tedkoob

tedkoob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

I see though that using the Modern app Video player that comes with Surface works fine directly playing avi files (doesn't have to download entirely to play).

Why is this capability not available in Plex?

#8 IanB!

IanB!

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

I see though that using the Modern app Video player that comes with Surface works fine directly playing avi files (doesn't have to download entirely to play).

Why is this capability not available in Plex?

Applications which run as part of the 'new' modern theme will execute within their own 'Sandbox'. This is a security mechanism to ensure that an application doesn't attempt to access files and resources for which the user has not granted access. There are only a number of physical folder locations for which an application can request 'automatic' access, e.g. Documents, Videos, Music and Photos. If an application want's access outside of these folders (even files stored on a network), it can only do so by presenting a 'File Picker' allowing the user to explicitly grant permission to a single file (or resource).

The other difference is that the native video player in Windows handles media which is access directly from files very different to how it accesses them over HTTP. We are continuing to work on improving enhanced playback and streaming functionality along with overall performance. I hope this goes some way in explaining the challenges we face with such a new platform.

Ian
Plugins: SkyGo, LoveFilm-Player, Crackle, Blinkbox, Stuff.tv, 5by5, RWC2011, FXUK, Jerry Seinfeld, VideoJug, SoundCloud, Ziln
Rewitten: YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Pitchfork.TV, National Geographic
Blog: Plex Plugin DevBlog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users