• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 juppal

juppal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Hello - I am running into a very frustrating problem. I have the latest PMS on my mediaserver and latest Sony GTV Plex app on my Sony NSZ-GS7 and some of my videos stutter - so much so that Plex is unusable. I can play the file fine using another media app called GTVBox which connects to the same file via an SMB share (no transcoding at all). So I know the NSZ-GS7 supports this file and format directly...

I've tried to disable HLS and only enabling directplay but then it won't play at all - this pops up an error message when I go to play. Here is the media info on one the file:

VIDEO
Codec MPEG4
Bitrate 936 kbps
Bvop 0
Duration 1:31:11
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Gmc 0
Height 320
Level 0.1
Profile advanced real time simple
Qpel 0
Width 616

AUDIO
Codec MP3
Channels Stereo
Bitrate 128 kbps
Bitrate Mode CBR
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz

I've tried connecting the GTV via ethernet and WI-FI with the same results. Please help!

#2 pmcd

pmcd

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

Go to Settings in Plex. Set "Ask for Direct Play" ( once you figure out what is happening you can change that to Force Direct Play). Just in case, set the bitrate for local playback to something really high. I Direct Play everything. See if this works.

philip

#3 juppal

juppal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

Thanks Philip - just changed Direct Play setting to "Offer Choice of Direct Play"; started the movie and chose "Force Directplay". Before the movies starts it shows momentarily "Directplay - avi (MPEG4..." and then it switches to "HLS Transcoder - 20MBPS - quality 12"...

So no luck... same thing. Anything else I can try? Is there something server side that I can change? Some profile setting where I can adjust what Plex things my box is capable of? FYI, I'm using the Plex included by Sony - would it make a difference if I bought the app from the market?

Go to Settings in Plex. Set "Ask for Direct Play" ( once you figure out what is happening you can change that to Force Direct Play). Just in case, set the bitrate for local playback to something really high. I Direct Play everything. See if this works.

philip

#4 Midnight

Midnight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Reading the tips for transcoding media sticky at the top of this forum.

Is it not the case that the Sony doesn't like mp3 audio?

Have you tried encoding your media using AAC.

#5 juppal

juppal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

According to the Sony site the unit supports MP3 (http://store.sony.co...#specifications) - also, as far as the encoding of the files in this case, they play fine using GTVBox on the same unit via SMB so I believe it is a Plex issue rather than the unit or media...

Now starting to think that the PMS install is wonky...

Thanks

Reading the tips for transcoding media sticky at the top of this forum.

Is it not the case that the Sony doesn't like mp3 audio?

Have you tried encoding your media using AAC.

#6 guy2545

guy2545

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

VIDEO
Codec MPEG4
Bitrate 936 kbps
Bvop 0
Frame Rate 23.976 fps
Gmc 0
Height 320
Level 0.1
Profile advanced real time simple
Qpel 0
Width 616

AUDIO
Codec MP3
Channels Stereo
Bitrate 128 kbps
Bitrate Mode CBR
Sampling Rate 48000 Hz

I believe what is highlight above may be your problem. The Sony box does support MPEG-4, however with the Simple Profile instead of the Advance Real Time Simple. I am not certain of this by any means, but I guess there is a difference between the profiles that the Sony box doesn't like? I know GTVBox will play some things that the device does not support.

This of course is speculation, as I have not tested the difference between the two profiles on my Sony box.

Plex Media Clients:
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Samsung Tab2
Nexus 7

Nexus 5
Plex Media Server:
Toshiba i3 Windows 8.1 Laptop

Windows Server 2012 R2 with 3TB

#7 pmcd

pmcd

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

Thanks Philip - just changed Direct Play setting to "Offer Choice of Direct Play"; started the movie and chose "Force Directplay". Before the movies starts it shows momentarily "Directplay - avi (MPEG4..." and then it switches to "HLS Transcoder - 20MBPS - quality 12"...

So no luck... same thing. Anything else I can try? Is there something server side that I can change? Some profile setting where I can adjust what Plex things my box is capable of? FYI, I'm using the Plex included by Sony - would it make a difference if I bought the app from the market?

There is nothing you can do on the server side. I use both the Sony Plex and the bought one. No real difference. I haven't run into your issue. It directplays all the videos I have in avi containers. Perhaps it's an odd codec. A lot of things can live in avi's. The file you mention seems to have an odd aspect ratio. I wonder if that could be an issue.

Am at a loss...philip

#8 juppal

juppal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

I believe what is highlight above may be your problem. The Sony box does support MPEG-4, however with the Simple Profile instead of the Advance Real Time Simple. I am not certain of this by any means, but I guess there is a difference between the profiles that the Sony box doesn't like? I know GTVBox will play some things that the device does not support.

This of course is speculation, as I have not tested the difference between the two profiles on my Sony box.

I believe you have nailed it! I have other similar files that have the ASP or SP profile and they work well; it must be the ARTS profile only. Will get to re-encoding this. Although, I do wish Plex would add the ability to play this like GTVBox does but for now at least I know what it is.

Cheers.

PS Thank you Phillip for your responses as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users