12 replies to this topic

#1 browngeek

browngeek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:26 AM

Hello

Quick question, which I can't seem to find anywhere, as a PlexPass subscriber, will one get a discount on the Windows 8 app, or will one have to pay full price if they wish to purchase it?

Many thanks

#2 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

Hello

Quick question, which I can't seem to find anywhere, as a PlexPass subscriber, will one get a discount on the Windows 8 app, or will one have to pay full price if they wish to purchase it?

Many thanks

Nope, no discount.
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#3 Woolf

Woolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Nope, no discount.

Hi. I bought the client for iPhone/iPad from the istore. Do I need to repurchase it for Win 8 RT?

#4 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Hi. I bought the client for iPhone/iPad from the istore. Do I need to repurchase it for Win 8 RT?

Yes.
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#5 Rast007

Rast007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

This is a great topic.  I recently bought a Windows Surface and have the Plex app downloaded from the store, but I am wondering when a PlexPass app is going to be released.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#6 BigWheel

BigWheel

One Who Keeps Turning

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3227 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:16 AM

Probably whenever there is a significant change/addition to it that the devs want plex pass people to check out before releasing it to the wild. if there is not there won't be one i imagine. There hasn't even been a PlexPass version of the iOS app

Note to self- awesome software coupled with awesome user community.. worth putting up with a minor annoyance now and then.

Correlation does not imply causation 

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer   a crazy movie but so good

Media Prep , Server Logs , MEDIA INFO , Why can't find that Plex folder on OS X

#7 remiego

remiego

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

This pisses me off. I originally paid for an iOS app, then paid for an android license when I swapped iPhone->Galaxy S4. I then donated to the chap who developed the Samsung TV app, that was well worth it and if it weren't for him I would have then subscribed to plexpass. Now I find that I have to pay for another Windows 8 app? Seriously, for something which purports to be free, I've paid for access to it 4 times???? I won't stop using plex because I think the product is great, I don't even object to the total sum of money paid, what I do object to is the lack of transparency and the nagging feeling that the corporate identify behind plex are a $^^$%$.

Edited by Trudge, 22 January 2014 - 02:53 PM.
Language

#8 remiego

remiego

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

I thought my masked expletive might incur a 'warning' but I'd hoped that might elicit a response to my post. No such luck.

#9 ShaneR40

ShaneR40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Well, I'm just a customer, but I'll throw in my two cents:

I have absolutely no problems with their apps being a paid product.  What I'd call the "core" experiences are free: Media Server, Home Theater, and Plex/Web. The rest of the experiences are spread across various platforms which means development resources are needed for each.  That's time and money. In my opinion, they'd be crazy not to charge for these and, in doing so, are no different than many other developers who are supporting their product across platforms.

While I'd disagree with you on the transparency comment, I would agree that they could tighten things up a bit (make plexpass all encompassing) and provide a clearer roadmap (free, not free, free for limited time) with concrete dates and plenty of notice.

Bottom line, and just my opinion, they're doing pretty well. Always room for improvement, but doing well.

#10 lenaxia

lenaxia

Dedicated Member

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

What Shane describes is exactly Plex's philosophy.

The core of Plex is free and that is what the bulk of resources goto and that is also what PlexPass primarily supports.

Not everyone has android or iOS or Windows Phone or roku, etc. The pricing idea is to allow users to pay for only what they use. If access to everything was bundled together, the price would go up then we would get people complaining that they are paying for things they don't use.

You're being given the option of only paying for what you use. Would you rather pay a one time $5 fee for access to the metro app or have your plex pass monthly cost go up $5 to support all the versions of plex you don't use? (obviously a moot point for lifetime members).

I hope this clears up the decision behind the pricing schemes.
Media Server: Windows 8.1 Pro under Hyper-V | Intel i7-3770S | 32GB DDR3 | 5x2TB WD Black in RAID5
Playback Devices: Surface Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Acer Iconia W3 | 2x ChromeCast | 2x HTPC
Plex for Windows 8 Logs | PMS for Windows Logs | Media Naming Guide | Generating Sample Media

#11 akvalle26

akvalle26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

@shane and lenaxia, I get what you're saying

But they've already made a precedent with the Android version ( $5 app if you don't have plexpass, Free app if you do ).  This seems like laziness on their part, leaving out iOS and Windows8

#12 Shikar

Shikar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:00 AM

just got a new Windows 8 laptop.... why do I need an app to run Plex vs. just logging into the web client to watch?  I don't mind paying if there is value but not sure what that value is.

thoughts?

#13 lenaxia

lenaxia

Dedicated Member

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

Nothing is stopping you from just using the web client. It is perfectly capable.

Personally I use the metro app exclusively because its experience is much better. I go into my experiences a bit here: https://forums.plex....x-home-theater/
Media Server: Windows 8.1 Pro under Hyper-V | Intel i7-3770S | 32GB DDR3 | 5x2TB WD Black in RAID5
Playback Devices: Surface Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Acer Iconia W3 | 2x ChromeCast | 2x HTPC
Plex for Windows 8 Logs | PMS for Windows Logs | Media Naming Guide | Generating Sample Media

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users