• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 awolafsp

awolafsp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

I have a Roku and my server is a Windows 7 computer with plenty of power. I am able to load all channels on Plex and play them; however, Hulu will not play any selected videos. I am selecting the video from the Hulu Channel with no problem. When it goes to play, it says retrieving data. After a bit, I get the generic error message. Everything else is working great except the main channel I want. Any advice? Jeff

#2 delpr1

delpr1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

I had a similar issue with Hulu on my Roku and on my Windows 7 PC via Plex/Web. I found that if I browsed the channel to find the episode I wanted it would sometimes seem to time out or say that there was no episode available (even though there were definitely episodes if you accessed it directly from Hulu.com).

However, I found that if I added it to my queue / watchlist on Hulu.com, and tried to watch it from the Roku or Plex/Web, I didn't have an issue and it worked fine. Not sure if that will help you or not.

I do not have Hulu Plus or anything, just a free account on Hulu.com.

#3 awolafsp

awolafsp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:09 AM

Thank you Delpr1, but I can't get the hulu to even queue up in my plex. I will try putting it in my queue on Hulu and see if that works.

#4 awolafsp

awolafsp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Some progress has been made. I am now able to see shows from Hulu on my plex; however, when I select a show to view, the queue shows it is trying to load the show. The status bar never shows any progress and I eventually get the message about making sure my server is available. Any other ideas out there folks? All the other channels work fine.

#5 phroenips

phroenips

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why not use the native roku channel for Hulu?

#6 arijaycomet

arijaycomet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why not use the native roku channel for Hulu?

I'm wondering the same thing. Don't get me wrong, PLEX is an awesome piece of kit for the Roku. But since there is a native app, written by the people who run the Hulu site, there is no way you can expect any 3rd party to be as good. I run my Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, etc all through their native apps. Is it that hard to exit back to the home page and find that app? Isn't the solidity of the app worthy of using that instead of through PLEX?

#7 awolafsp

awolafsp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

I have been unable to find plain old Hulu on the Roku channel. There is Hulu Plus but there is a fee attached with that unless I'm missing something.

#8 phroenips

phroenips

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

I have been unable to find plain old Hulu on the Roku channel. There is Hulu Plus but there is a fee attached with that unless I'm missing something.

Ah, yes, that is correct. I incorrectly assumed you wanted Hulu plus.

#9 arijaycomet

arijaycomet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:09 AM

^^ I second what he said ... guess I just take for granted the $7.99 expense I pay... and should realize not everyone does :)

#10 tarheelfan1962

tarheelfan1962

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Some progress has been made. I am now able to see shows from Hulu on my plex; however, when I select a show to view, the queue shows it is trying to load the show. The status bar never shows any progress and I eventually get the message about making sure my server is available. Any other ideas out there folks? All the other channels work fine.

I am having this same issue. Plex works fine on other channels but I cannot get it to work with Hulu. Any help would be appreciated. It just get a sever not avalaible error retrieving movies

#11 johnbrvc

johnbrvc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

Same problem here. Youtube works fine, Hulu does not load the video. To reproduce and log, I did:

** UPDATED ** - PMS Log Files Attached...

PMS VERSION 0.9.7.7
Most recent plextest app (downloaded sunday)

1) I added a video to my Hulu queue from my PC (ST:TOS E28, it was one of the better episodes... but the issue occurs on all videos I tried on hulu)
2) Restart PMS on server PC, and delete all log files
3) Start PMS
4) Run plextest app on Roku 2 XS model 3100X (regular non-test plex app also fails)
5) Select Hulu
6) Select My Hulu -> My Queue
7) Select ST:TOS episode on queue
8) Select Play next to thumbnail
9) Screen goes black, puts up blank "retrieving" progress bar, with episode title in center of screen
10) Wait about 30 secs. Screen flashes back to the episode thumbnail/play selection screen for 4-5 seconds
11) then it goes back to black, puts up blank "retrieving" progress bar, with episode title in center of screen
12) another 30 seconds go by, then the error message dialog comes up indicating: "Video Unavailable We're unable to play this video, make sure the server is running and has access to the video. "OK"".
13) I press OK, and repeat step 8 (for good measure), with same results.
14) back out of Hulu/plex
15) shut down PMS
16) zip up Plex Media Server, com.plexapp.system and complexapp.plugins.hulu logs and attach to this post.

Notes: Before running the log capture above, i did try different encoding options and bandwidth options, all failed the same way it seemed.
This test was run using "Automatic" transcoding, and 3mbs 720p video.

I believe I followed all the instructions in the "how to post a problem" FAQ. I'm a system developer myself, and
I glanced through the logs. For the most part, the "plugins/hulu" log appears irrelevant here, other than echoing
the sequence of commands I performed. The plexapp/system log is not too useful either, other than indicating it appears to have found
the hulu plugin OK.

As for the PMS log, it appears to get interesting around time index: "Jan 02, 2013 20:35:28:592 [1772]", when it starts up
the transcoder session, although it doesn't appear as if anything is wrong per se, but maybe something is hanging, or not
running properly. Maybe someone who knows what messages are supposed to appear can see what the issue is.

It may help the troubleshooters if other people can confirm their issue is similar if not exactly the same, as what
I describe above.

I'm willing to help debug it, just tell me what you'd need.

Cheers!
John

Attached Files

#12 dachay2tnr

dachay2tnr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue. I am having the exact same problem. All Plex channels seem to work except Hulu. I can get to the Hulu site. I can even log in to my (free) Hulu account and see my queue. However, I can not actually play anything. It just buffers (twice) and then tells me to make sure the server is running and accessable.

If the server wasn't running, I shouldn't be able to get any of the other channels either, right? I can even access the iTunes account on my computer. But alas, no Hulu.

FWIW, I am running Windows XP with SP3. I have the latest version of Plex (installed today). And I have a prior generation Roku XD.

BTW, generally love the Roku.

#13 dachay2tnr

dachay2tnr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

OK, here is some additional information regarding my above post. Perhaps this will help someone to help me diagnose the issue.

I attempted to play Hulu via Plex on my PC (as opposed to my Roku). It works. However, I noticed that when a video on Hulu begins to play, the browser URL changes to Hulu.com, rather than staying at the Plex Media Player URL. In other words, it's almost as if I simply went directly to Hulu.com on my PC and bypassed the Plex Player.

This does not happen for other Plex channels. I've tried ABC Family, and the Jon Stewart Show, and when those videos play, the browser URL remains at the Plex Media Player URL (127.0.0.1 ...). And coincidentally, these shows also work on the Roku.

Hulu, on the other hand, remains on the Media Player URL UNTIL you actually try to play a video. When you click the play button, the URL switches to Hulu.com. Again, it is interesting that I am able to browse Hulu on my Roku, but it craps out when you actually try to play the video. In other words, the point where the URL switches to Hulu.com on my PC is the same point where the program crashes on my Roku.

Any thoughts here? I suspect if I can get Hulu to play WITHIN the Plex Media Player (rather than switching to the Hulu web site), then it will also play on my Roku. But I'm clueless as to what is causing this.

#14 dachay2tnr

dachay2tnr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

OK, one more piece of information. I deleted Hulu as a channel within Plex, and then tried to add it using the Roku instead of the computer. Interestingly, I can not find Hulu within the add channels app of Plex on the Roku. It's there when I browse the Plex Player on my computer, but I can't seem to find it from the Plex player on Roku.

I actually beginning to think this is deliberate on someone's part. :(

#15 5stringdeath

5stringdeath

Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

I may be mistaken, but since Roku has a native Hulu channel I believe they restrict use in other instances, such as the Plex channel

-------------------

Running PMS on a MacMini and Synology 412+

Clients include: PHT MacMini, PHT MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPad Retina, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, Sony GS7, Nexus 7, Roku3, Chromecast, Plex Web in Chrome

Fav Plex Feature: SYNC!

#16 dachay2tnr

dachay2tnr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

I may be mistaken, but since Roku has a native Hulu channel I believe they restrict use in other instances, such as the Plex channel

Actually Roku only has a Hulu Plus native channel. There is no native channel for Hulu free.

Still I believe there is some restriction going on. Which makes absolutely no sense to me. I can go to Hulu on my computer with no problems whatsoever. So what is gained by not allowing me to do the same via my Roku? I guess, however, the same could be said for Youtube. Why is there no native Youtube channel on the Roku, when I can easily access the content on my PC. (I know there are workarounds for this... but my point is why does it have to be done via a workaround?)

#17 syxpak

syxpak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

First, the reason to use the Plex Hulu app is that Hulu doesn't allow some content to be viewed with device apps, only viewed from PC. Example) Roku, TV, iPhone, iPad, etc, apps are restricted. The Plex Hulu app should get by this issue since the Plex Hulu app "is" running on a PC. That's what PlayOn streaming application does for me.

To get the Plex Hulu plugin, on my iMac, open the media center app, navigate to the "Channel Directory" -> "Foreign (Region Restricted) Plug-ins". In there you will find Hulu channel.

Lastly, my Plex Hulu app works on my Roku box until I attempt to view a show. Then the progress bar partially fills, and that's it. Anybody know why?

#18 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3317 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

I'm afraid that as at least a few of you know, Hulu is not supported by us on the Roku, which is why you're not getting much help. You're welcome to read some of the other forums, like the Plex Media Server forums or the Plex Channels forums, to see other discussions on the Hulu channel which may or may not help, but the channel is not supported by us on the Roku.

#19 Jeff363

Jeff363

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

I am having the same issue as each of you with regards to Hulu. I can't seem to figure out how one logs onto Hulu from within Plex so that it knows what "My Hulu" queue is? I have added favorites from the Hulu.com site that I think should show up in my Plex queue. Also, I tried using the PBS app to watch Downton Abbey. It works to the point of bringing up the video, then it only plays 1 second before it stops????? I can't seem to get Crackle or KoldCast to work correctly either?? Is there an issue with this version of Plex Media Server (I am using Plex/Web 0.9.9.4).

I am testing this primarily on my PC, but believe the issue to be the same on my ROKU (at least for HULU).

Thanks...

Jeff

#20 rdcuff

rdcuff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

I am having the same issue as each of you with regards to Hulu. I can't seem to figure out how one logs onto Hulu from within Plex so that it knows what "My Hulu" queue is? I have added favorites from the Hulu.com site that I think should show up in my Plex queue.

You first have to create an ID on Hulu. Then you can log in from the Plex Media Server.

My experience with Hulu on Plex has been spotty. Seems to work ~25% of the time. Like most others reporting here, the video appears in the menu but does not load.

However other channels - particularly Netflix (the primary reason I bought the Roku), along with Crackle, Tunein, and others, all seem to work fine. So it's a matter of PMS and Hulu playing nicely, and has been stated earlier, Hulu is not officially supported within the Plex community.

Richard in Allentown, PA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users