12 replies to this topic

#1 stevecater

stevecater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

Hi

After googling and hours of frustration trying to set up Plex I'm posting here a a last resort before I uninstall and try something else.

My issue I can not get Plex MC to display my TV episodes in the user interface.
I figured it was a naming issue so I went and renamed at least a thousand episodes with the recommended structure example:
y:\TV Episodes\Community\Season 1\Community - s01e01 - 'description'.EXT

Drive Y is a mapped network drive pointing to my NAS\\public\tv episodes.
Plex MS and MC is running on a dedicated HTPC
All file storage is on my QNAP TS459 NAS in a public folder
Separate folder for Movie and TV Episodes
NAS and HTPC are hard wired to router.

I do NOT have every single episode in the folder renamed, but a lot of them are.
Plex Media Server scanned my TV folder and I now see a large number of the shows listed in the 'mangage' tab when I click browse.
I can click on the show and it displays the metadata as well so scraping appears to have been done properly on the shows listed in the media server.

Problem is when I open Plex Media Center app on my HTPC there is all of 15 shows listed when there should be many more.
There seems to be random seasons also, for example, I see Season 6 of one show, but all the others do not show at all.

I should note that the movie folder scanned many of my titles successfully without renaming (will fix the rest when I get the TV thing running).

Help please!

Thanks
Steve

#2 mdewitt01

mdewitt01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

Hi

After googling and hours of frustration trying to set up Plex I'm posting here a a last resort before I uninstall and try something else.

My issue I can not get Plex MC to display my TV episodes in the user interface.
I figured it was a naming issue so I went and renamed at least a thousand episodes with the recommended structure example:
y:\TV Episodes\Community\Season 1\Community - s01e01 - 'description'.EXT

Drive Y is a mapped network drive pointing to my NAS\\public\tv episodes.
Plex MS and MC is running on a dedicated HTPC
All file storage is on my QNAP TS459 NAS in a public folder
Separate folder for Movie and TV Episodes
NAS and HTPC are hard wired to router.

I do NOT have every single episode in the folder renamed, but a lot of them are.
Plex Media Server scanned my TV folder and I now see a large number of the shows listed in the 'mangage' tab when I click browse.
I can click on the show and it displays the metadata as well so scraping appears to have been done properly on the shows listed in the media server.

Problem is when I open Plex Media Center app on my HTPC there is all of 15 shows listed when there should be many more.
There seems to be random seasons also, for example, I see Season 6 of one show, but all the others do not show at all.

I should note that the movie folder scanned many of my titles successfully without renaming (will fix the rest when I get the TV thing running).

Help please!

Thanks
Steve

If some are showing and some are not, it sounds like it would be a naming issue, but your example looks correct. Have you looked in the logs? I know it does not scan deep enough on a normal library update to pick up some changes, so I would also force a refresh on the TV folder. That fixed some similar problems I was having. I'm running the Plex App on my Roku so not sure if there are glitches in the web app.

#3 stevecater

stevecater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

I did do a deep scan and force refresh, trash dump etc . It was unpredictable, tried that a couple times and no luck then all of a sudden it started listing discovered shows in the media server manage window.
This morning I just tried to see how the deep scan I left to run overnight worked and ALL of the shows that had been shown in the manage window are GONE!

Weird thing is ALL my movies show regardless that there are naming errors I haven't fixed yet but TV shows are totally screwed up.

I tried deleting the TV Shows in media server and redoing it at an earlier time but still nothing.

Looks like this software is really buggy, is there anything else, maybe a paid option that just 'works'??

#4 stevecater

stevecater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Did another forced scan and Plex now shows 2 series in the Media Center out of a dozen that were properly renamed.
Another weird thing is that all I see is a string of episodes on the right hand side when I select TV Shows.
It picks only some of the seasons of the 2 series as well, not the full show.
Should it not show thumbnails of the show rather than thumbnails of all the episodes on the right? I mean if it DID find all the shows I would literally have to scroll through 5000+ episodes in a long string, VERY cumbersome to say the least.

Just loaded XBMC and it finds the shows without too much issue and it lists the episodes under sub-folders not just dump them all in one.

Need some help here, surely this cant be the norm, there's got to be something wrong!!

Tks

#5 mdewitt01

mdewitt01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I'm wondering if you may have uncovered a bug with the number of shows you have. I would try creating a test share and only put one or two shows with multiple seasons in there and see if it recognizes them all.

Something else that may be worth trying is to use the UNC for the share instead of the drive name. Maybe the drive connection comes and goes for some reason while it's doing the refresh. Just a wild guess.

As far as showing shows instead of seasons, I have view options on right but haven't messed with it enough to know them by heart. There is a grid view and list view I know, I think one shows large thumbnails and one doesn't. I also have a folder view. I have Windows Home Server hosting the PMS and a Roku as the client so I'm sure we see different things. My Roku shows everything pretty much line the web app does though.

#6 mdewitt01

mdewitt01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

One last thing since I just ran into big mess like this. Try moving the folder for the show somewhere where it is not in the folder being scanned by plex, empty the trash to get rid of stored info, do all of your renaming if needed, then put the folder back into the plex scanned folder. Once it downloads data it's almost impossible to get it to do its thing from scratch again. This worked for me with about 40 BBC documentaries that were showing as one episode in Plex.

#7 SkyRunner

SkyRunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I have been experiencing the same issue and believe I have found the resolution.

Previous configuration (not working):

My server hosting Plex has a mapped drive to the TV Shows share on my storage device. T:\ points to \\STORAGESERVER\TVSHOW$

All of my shows are listed in the root of this share. e.g T:\%SHOWNAME%\Season x\%Episode%.ext

I recently rebuilt my media server and installed the latest version of Plex Media Server. I was more than surprised when my TV Shows were not being shared as they had in the past under the same configurations, I was receiving symptoms very similar to those discussed in this thread.

Current Configuration (working):

I blew away the old TV Show section configured on the Plex Server and created a new one pointing directly to the UNC of the directory on the Storage Server, \\STORAGESERVER\D$\TV Shows. The TV Shows began populating immediately as expected in Plex.

I took this a step further and moved all of the %SHOWNAME% directories in the root of the T:\ mapped drive into the T:\TV Shows\ directory. I created a new TV Shows section on another test Plex server and lo and behold, the TV Shows began populating as expected.

Conclusion:

Plex must be looking for a "TV Shows" as the root of the share or at least as a pre-req directory prior to the %SHOWNAME% directories. i.e. T:\%SHOWNAME%\ vs. T:\TV SHOWS\%SHOWNAME%\ (the latter being the favored method.)

#8 mdewitt01

mdewitt01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

I would also make sure you do your renaming before you place them in the new folder. Like I said, I've found that once they are scanned it doesn't always pick up changes on a rescan. Sometimes when I add a file to an existing folder and it matches the show incorrectly, the new show with the bad match shows up as a totally separate program. I have to move the entire folder for that program out, empty the trash and then move it back. It finds the same bad match, but they all show as the same program, so I can just edit the metadata to correct the bad match.

#9 stevecater

stevecater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

So the short answer here is don't use mapped drives but rather enter the full network share location "\\server\public\TV Episodes\" ?
Its been a while sorry for the slow response but I've been using XBMC successfully except for some problems with MKV playback so I'm giving Plex another go.
Tks

I have been experiencing the same issue and believe I have found the resolution.

Previous configuration (not working):

My server hosting Plex has a mapped drive to the TV Shows share on my storage device. T:\ points to \\STORAGESERVER\TVSHOW$

All of my shows are listed in the root of this share. e.g T:\%SHOWNAME%\Season x\%Episode%.ext

I recently rebuilt my media server and installed the latest version of Plex Media Server. I was more than surprised when my TV Shows were not being shared as they had in the past under the same configurations, I was receiving symptoms very similar to those discussed in this thread.

Current Configuration (working):

I blew away the old TV Show section configured on the Plex Server and created a new one pointing directly to the UNC of the directory on the Storage Server, \\STORAGESERVER\D$\TV Shows. The TV Shows began populating immediately as expected in Plex.

I took this a step further and moved all of the %SHOWNAME% directories in the root of the T:\ mapped drive into the T:\TV Shows\ directory. I created a new TV Shows section on another test Plex server and lo and behold, the TV Shows began populating as expected.

Conclusion:

Plex must be looking for a "TV Shows" as the root of the share or at least as a pre-req directory prior to the %SHOWNAME% directories. i.e. T:\%SHOWNAME%\ vs. T:\TV SHOWS\%SHOWNAME%\ (the latter being the favored method.)

#10 mdewitt01

mdewitt01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

There are also issues with Plex playing mkv files, more so with Roku as the client though. Most of have been solved by using direct play rather than encoding. Good luck!

#11 heyloh

heyloh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

Thank you, SkyRunner, your solution fixed my issue with Plex not adding shows correctly and having them disappear randomly!

#12 capefearless

capefearless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

+1 and thanks to SkyRunner.  This was my problem as well.  

PMS needs to be pointed at a Parent Folder ("TV Shows", "Movies" or whatevr) and NOT at the root of the share/drive even if the only thing on the share/drive is the properly named Series/Season/Show folders.

I've posted this in a few related threads so hopefully people will find the faster and not go through as much frustration as we did.

Thanks again SkyRunner!

#13 nutsnbolts

nutsnbolts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hi,

I've been having the same problem for my TVShows folder on Windows Home Server (WHS). The TV Show folders are in D:\TVShows but this could be spread across 2-3 drives by DriveExtender on WHS, It was working until the new update.

If D:\TVSHows is mapped as \\Server\D would it slow down any transcoding or access because its gonna be accessed through \\servername instead of D:\ ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users